• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bootfitting Question

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Hello I’m new here. I have been following the Skiing Reddit but it seemed a bit intimidating and not so welcoming to newcomers. In the process of digging around for other ski communities I found this one! I’m really excited to find other women to get skiing insight & advice from!

Anyway here’s my question: A local shop just had a massive inventory sale (60-99% off) of floor models and slightly used or scuffed merchandise. I originally went to the sale with my dad to pick up some ski apparel. While I was there I saw they had ski boots for sale. I tried on several in my mondo boot size and looked for ones where my toes touch the end and fit snug. I found a pair of Rossignol Pure Pro Heat boots that I thought was nice and snug, it was a $700 boot marked down to $50 so I bought them.

I know the wisdom is to first see a bootfitter and get fitted. There is a local bootfitter who will fit boots purchased elsewhere so I was thinking of taking the boots to them to get confirmation that it’s an appropriate fit and if it was see if they can make any necessary adjustments or modification.

I figured worse case scenario if they tell me it’s not a good fit for me then I could sell it for what I paid or maybe even for a slight profit. If they do tell me it’s not a great fit can I do a fitting without purchasing a boot right away? I would like to know what I should budget for and maybe sell the others to use as profit toward the correct sized boot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What region do you usually ski in the most?

There is a range of prices charged for boot fitting services for boots bought elsewhere. Best for you to call and ask for the fee schedule from the local bootfitter. There will be an hourly rate for general consulting and work. For basic tasks such as punching out a hot spot, there is often a set fee. About 10 years ago I had a hot spot done for $25 at a destination resort. I think my friend who had to buy boots in the middle of a trip because his obsolete boots (>25 years old) cracked spent a couple hundred dollars on various tweaks over the first year or two, plus the cost of custom liners.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I ski Tahoe area. I grew up primarily skiing Diamond Peak, but now I mostly ski Sierra at Tahoe — love their instructors!

There is a highly recommended ski shop near my house that has 3 master certified bootfitters. I talked to them and they said I could bring the boots in anytime, but they wouldn’t work on the boot if they felt it was not a good fit for me.

I’m trying to decide if I should bring in now and if it’s not a good fit, would I go through the fitting consultation now if I might wait to purchase in the fall?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m trying to decide if I should bring in now and if it’s not a good fit, would I go through the fitting consultation now if I might wait to purchase in the fall?
Call for an appointment and go now when the boot fitters aren't as busy. You're lucky to be in ski country.

All the boots I've bought in the last 12 years were "new old stock" from a boot fitter that is local (central NC). That means the box with new boots was in the shop from a previous season. Needless to say, the price was less than if I'd was determined to buy from the current model year. I also got a discount for buying during either early or late season.

If you haven't already, read through the Gearipedia thread about boot fitting. A fitting is usually based on what is available. If nothing works, then would wait for new stock.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Call for an appointment and go now when the boot fitters aren't as busy. You're lucky to be in ski country.

All the boots I've bought in the last 12 years were "new old stock" from a boot fitter that is local (central NC). That means the box with new boots was in the shop from a previous season. Needless to say, the price was less than if I'd was determined to buy from the current model year. I also got a discount for buying during either early or late season.

If you haven't already, read through the Gearipedia thread about boot fitting. A fitting is usually based on what is available. If nothing works, then would wait for new stock.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/
Technically Im not quite in ski country as I live in the SF Bay Area but Tahoe just feels like a stone’s skip away. I do my best to get up to the area on the weekend and sneak in a few week day runs!

Thank you for the advice and the article. I’ll see if I can get an appointment with my local ski shop to have the boot I purchased looked at.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome, @Pixie Perfect!
$50 seems like a reasonable gamble, and as you say, you can sell them if they don't work. But you are right to see a bootfitter about them as well. I believe that my current boots were recommended to me after a lengthy fitting session at the shop you're referring to. So far they have been great.

At the same time, I want to try a bit of alpine touring this winter, but it's super expensive to get set up and I don't know if I'll like it enough to justify the investment. So I bought a pair of new-but-past-year-model AT boots without even trying them on because they were crazy cheap. When they arrive, I'll try them on and if they are even minimally workable, I will keep them and match them to some hopefully-super-cheap at skis. Is this the best approach? Probably not if you're serious about backcountry skiing, but it's the approach that I can afford right now and it will get me out on the mountain, so we'll see how it shakes out.

I hope you enjoy The Ski Diva more than Reddit!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't know where you ski but Daryll at Elite Feet @ northstar is really good!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski Tahoe area. I grew up primarily skiing Diamond Peak, but now I mostly ski Sierra at Tahoe — love their instructors!

There is a highly recommended ski shop near my house that has 3 master certified bootfitters. I talked to them and they said I could bring the boots in anytime, but they wouldn’t work on the boot if they felt it was not a good fit for me.

Hi Pixie.
If you want a good recommendation in the bay area, I'd say there is no better than California Ski Company in Berkley.
I happen to be a bootfitter in Truckee. It sounds like you're hanging out around South Lake Tahoe more than North Lake. I'd recommend that you try Dicksen Brown at Powder House. If you do go to him, tell him Tricia Pug sent you.
If you feel like coming to North Lake Tahoe, give me a shout and I'll be happy to work with you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Forgot about Tricia at Blue Zone, right?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Right now I'm working a couple days a week, and will likely do this until the first of the year when our 2020 ski testing and focus groups start up again.
Maybe we can ski in Tahoe next season? I do Epic Pass b/c of BF's family house at Northstar and my timeshare at Heavenly BUT I will pay to ski Mt Rose on Tuesdays!!! I've always liked Mt Rose!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe we can ski in Tahoe next season? I do Epic Pass b/c of BF's family house at Northstar and my timeshare at Heavenly BUT I will pay to ski Mt Rose on Tuesdays!!! I've always liked Mt Rose!
I will likely have a Northstar pass to go with my Mt Rose pass and IKON.

@Pixie Perfect sorry for the hijack

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Pixie.
If you want a good recommendation in the bay area, I'd say there is no better than California Ski Company in Berkley.
I happen to be a bootfitter in Truckee. It sounds like you're hanging out around South Lake Tahoe more than North Lake. I'd recommend that you try Dicksen Brown at Powder House. If you do go to him, tell him Tricia Pug sent you.
If you feel like coming to North Lake Tahoe, give me a shout and I'll be happy to work with you.
Thank you for your recommendations! I am mostly hanging out in the south shore as it fits my budget better but I may be heading up north to snag a few days at Sugarbowl next season though!

Would you by any chance be familiar with the bootfitters at Helm of Sun Valley in San Jose? I’ve heard heard good things from my snowboarding friends and their reputation on Yelp seems pretty good? They’re the ones that said I could bring the boots in to get looked at.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for your recommendations! I am mostly hanging out in the south shore as it fits my budget better but I may be heading up north to snag a few days at Sugarbowl next season though!

Would you by any chance be familiar with the bootfitters at Helm of Sun Valley in San Jose? I’ve heard heard good things from my snowboarding friends and their reputation on Yelp seems pretty good? They’re the ones that said I could bring the boots in to get looked at.
I am not familiar with the current staff at Helm of Sun Valley in San Jose but I am extremely familiar with a fitter who moved from there to Truckee two years ago, in fact, he's one of my fellow bootfitters at Blue Zone. If his work is any indication of the fitters at Helm, you'll be in good hands.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I am not familiar with the current staff at Helm of Sun Valley in San Jose but I am extremely familiar with a fitter who moved from there to Truckee two years ago, in fact, he's one of my fellow bootfitters at Blue Zone. If his work is any indication of the fitters at Helm, you'll be in good hands.
That’s great to hear! I will definitely check them out, but it’s good to know I have other options if I venture out further! Thank you so much for getting back to me. :smile:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots are a big deal. I think it is worth it to go to a particular person with a good reputation. People within shops can vary. Take a nice trip to see Tricia! Worth your time. You may invest more time now but it is worth it to get it right.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I took the boot to the local ski shop by me. After measuring my foot and putting me in the boot without the liner he determined it’s 1-2 sizes too large. He said I measure 23.5 but this particular boot ran a little long and he’d probably put me in a 22.5 for that brand.

He recommended I come back in October to get fitted when they have a wider selection as their stock is low. He also mentioned they have a store wide sale on new ski products in early November. He said most get measure in October than buy in November — which is what I’m going try to do.

He said the boot itself is in great condition and that I can probably make a profit by selling it online for about $300 maybe even more.

He also mentioned if I don’t sell it online they could probably sell it on commission for $200-300. If I take store credit than they would put 75% toward future purchases.

I will try selling it online first but it’s good to know that I have a fallback option! Now my $50 investment can help pay for my first ski boot. :smile:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you got some good advice. The shell fitting is really important. Liners will pack out and if the shell is too big you'll be forever trying to snug up your boots in a Sysiphean process.

And lots of people size down their ski boots for a more precise fit (I measure 27.5 but always wear 26.5) A fitter can always give you a little toe room, and it's a good sign that he's encouraging you to go smaller.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Update: I had my boot fitting today and the experience went well. The boot fitter had me try on the following boots (in order tried):

• Salomon X PRO 90 W
• Tecnica Mach Sport HV 95
• Dalbello Kyra 95
• Head Advant Edge 95 W
• Nordica Speedmachine 85W

The Salomon was a bit uncomfortable when I tried on. He then put my other foot into the Tecnica so I can have a side by side comparison. Right away I thought the Tecnica felt more comfortable.

He then had me keep the Tecnica on but swapped the Salomon for the Dalbello. While the Dalbello had a nice tongue and fit nicely in the calves / height, my toes would just not uncurl. He even tried adjusting the liner and heating it to see if the Dalbello would work, but ultimately we ruled that one out.

So he put both my feet in the Tecnica which I flexed, leaned and walked around in. At this point I figured I'd probably go home with the Tecnica, since they were the most comfortable. However the boot fitter wanted to make sure I had tried on all the boot options that might fit my feet.

Next I tried the Head, but it was too wide for me and my foot had a bit of wiggle room on the sides and wasn't as snug as the Tecnica.

He then did some digging around and pulled out Nordica Speedmachine 85W (2018 model) and had me try that on. At first I thought they felt comparable to the Tecnica, but with a comfier tongue. So for the first time I was leaning toward something other than the Tecnica! I did go back and forth on the Nordica and the Tecnica for awhile. I think part of why I was unsure was my right leg wasn't fitting as well as my left. So he asked me which one felt better on the left since that foot wasn't having as much of an issue, I said the Nordica. So after some tweaking he managed to get the right to feel just as comfortable as the left!

I was originally planning to come back for the November sale, but due to this being the last boot they had in this model and there was no 2019 version to try on for comparison -- I didn't want to risk the 2019 version not fitting quite the same. Plus these boots ended up being under my expected budget and super fleet insoles were included with my purchase -- so it was a great deal!

TLDR: I came home with the Nordica Speedmachine 85W boots. :smile:

Hope you guys don't mind my mini novel of a post update! I'm partly writing out this experience, so I can remind myself of the process whenever I get my next boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna