• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bootfitters by Region -USA - Eastern, Central, Mid-Atlantic

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know this is probably a stretch, but anyone have a rec for the Columbus, OH area or near Mad River Mountain? My friend is getting into skiing and she still needs boots, and I have no idea about the very few shops in that area.
Hmm, found an article on Snowpros (PSIA) from 2013 that includes a shop in Ohio. Looking at their website, my sense is that Aspen Ski and Board in Columbus knows what they are doing. It's been around since 1998. I think the names are the instructors who mentioned the shop in response to a question on Facebook that was the source for the article.

Aspen Ski looks pretty substantial from the picture on their website. Preseason sales on new-old-stock ends Oct. 28, 2018.

Ohio
Aspen Ski and Board, Columbus, OH. Props to Chad and Chris on high-end boot fitting!
- John Domiano

Aspen Ski and Board Shop, Columbus OH
- Barbara Reed

Chad and Chris at Aspen Ski and Board in Columbus, OH!
- Cheryl Raudabaugh

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, found an article on Snowpros (PSIA) from 2013 that includes a shop in Ohio. Looking at their website, my sense is that Aspen Ski and Board in Columbus knows what they are doing. It's been around since 1998. I think the names are the instructors who mentioned the shop in response to a question on Facebook that was the source for the article.

Aspen Ski looks pretty substantial from the picture on their website. Preseason sales on new-old-stock ends Oct. 28, 2018.

Ohio
Aspen Ski and Board, Columbus, OH. Props to Chad and Chris on high-end boot fitting!
- John Domiano

Aspen Ski and Board Shop, Columbus OH
- Barbara Reed

Chad and Chris at Aspen Ski and Board in Columbus, OH!
- Cheryl Raudabaugh

Thanks. That was one of the shops I'd found online. I sent her the link as maybe a good option.

maylin

Angel Diva
Since Ski Center closed several seasons ago, I'd like to make an update for Brian Beaumont's new store (opened last year)
The Ski Center LTD

15944 Luanne Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
(410) 833-1101

maylin

Angel Diva
As for Brian Eardley, I think he works for Alpine Ski in VA
Alpine Ski Shop

Fairfax Circle Shopping Center
(703) 385-7669

geargrrl

Angel Diva
How do I update a region? Spokane Alpine Haus has been sold and new owners are horrible. Sports Creek in Spokane always had an excellent reputation, and now that I am going there I can confirm it. My husband has the trifecta of fitting nightmare issues. We made an appointment with Micah the owner/fitter, and it was everything and more that I had expected based on reputation,

mustski

Angel Diva
How do I update a region? Spokane Alpine Haus has been sold and new owners are horrible. Sports Creek in Spokane always had an excellent reputation, and now that I am going there I can confirm it. My husband has the trifecta of fitting nightmare issues. We made an appointment with Micah the owner/fitter, and it was everything and more that I had expected based on reputation,
That's actually a good point. For now, I would "quote" the original recommendation and add a post at the end of the thread which gives everyone a heads up about the changes there. @ski diva is there a way that folks could add recommendations into the initial category? The thread is getting unwieldy.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I have a new recommendation for a bootfitter in VT:

Bootfitter's Name:
Mike Murphy
Name of Shop:
The Snow Job
Address of Shop:
1486 Cross Rd
Jay, VT 05859
Phone Number:
(802) 988-4464

Additional Comments:
I found Mike super helpful, patient and creative to make my bought online boots fit and work. He is a good listener and very experienced. Come see him if you ever come to Jay Peak, VT.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I would like to take a minute to emphasize the guys at Alpina rock. Well, Steve rocks, anyway. We had some major boot issues during our new year's eve trip to Mt. Snow. Four of us visited Alpina (near Jack Frost) shortly after, and now the angels are singing. My daughter and her friend had some major pain while skiing, and as we were sitting on a lift last weekend, her friend said those boots (which she was ready to toss into the garbage) were "her boots" now and couldn't be happier. Steve really worked some magic. My son and I bought new boots, and we were also very happy, after a little bit of adjusting to stiffer boots. I'll never go anywhere else now.

YooperMama

Diva in Training
I'm looking for a boot fitter recommendation for Michigan or northern WI. I don't see anything on any of the lists. I have an extremely wide calf and wide foot. I've never found a boot to fit properly. Even the tongues of boots are too curved for my legs. I'm located in Marquette, MI. Can someone help?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm looking for a boot fitter recommendation for Michigan or northern WI. I don't see anything on any of the lists. I have an extremely wide calf and wide foot. I've never found a boot to fit properly. Even the tongues of boots are too curved for my legs. I'm located in Marquette, MI. Can someone help?
Welcome! I have a friend who lives in Traverse City. You are way up north!

Have you heard anything about Bahnhof Sport in Petoskey? Since Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands are close by, I would think they have an experienced boot fitter or two.

https://bahnhof.com/skis-boards/petoskey-ski-boot-custom-fitting.html

Pierce Skate & Ski is a bit farther since it's in Minneapolis. They started selling ski gear in the 1960s. I've seen Dave Hinz recommended on another ski forum.

http://www.pierceskateandski.com/alpine-boots

I have short legs. Eventually found that a 3-buckle boot was better than any 4-buckle model that my local boot fitter (central NC) came up with. By then I was looking for a bit more of a performance fit.

Reactions: alr

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Just brought my 5 year old boots (approx 40 ski days) that I've been wearing "off the shelf," in for some tweaking to a shop recommended by my brother who has really weird feet, here in Boston. My 2 little toes on each foot get numb even with mild temps, happens faster and all toes get cold/numb in cold temps.

I purchase small rather than large because I like a snug fit, sticking to brand I've had success with, Tecnica, These were a few years old model, in the box and off price, when I bought them from a random ski shop in NH that I visited after picking up my kid at summer camp. Viva Demon 100 flex. Brave, but I had an idea of what I wanted and so far, except for the toes issue they've been great.

Bootfitter's Name: Dylan (I picked him base on reviews)
Name of Shop: The Ski Monster
Address of Shop: 60 Canal Street, Boston 02114
Phone Number: 617.227.7770
Email: [email protected]

Additional Comments:

Dylan listened.
He looked.
He measured.
He listened.

He observed that I was borderline for size between 24.5 and 25.5, so that with sub optimal positioning, he's not surprised an issue would arise since my boots are 24.5. He says I have a low-mid vol foot and am in an appropriate boot. Yay me for making a sound purchase! I told him that indeed when I first put on my boots the toes touched at the end but when I buckled in and flexed, they pulled back with room to wiggle toes. He says my foot tends to pronate/arch rolls in, also true. He suspected that I was getting compression over peroneal nerve that runs below outer ankle bone and along foot and perhaps over top of foot, maybe because of how my foot rolls in the boot. That was my diagnosis, but I did not lead him on, and wanted to see if he'd come to a similar theory. I had no idea as to solution . . . .adjusting cant, cuff angle, buckles, footbeds, orthotics inserts, shims . . . all beyond me. He says if the foot is supported and positioned better in the boot, I can avoid that compression.

He suggested a solution, which is where the expertise comes in. First of all, commercial footbeds instead of the ones that come in the boot that have no arch support. He brought out low and med arch. Since med arch did not feel too much pressure, we went with that. He also suggested small wedges under the heels. He did all this while I waited, and then I put on the boots, and right away felt a little more room in the toes . . . is this possible? and then I stomped around admiring the skis and outerwear for 30 minutes. Boots felt great. He did not upsell me any custom footbeds, liners, or heaters, and I think came up with a plausible solution. He listened . . . imagine that!!

Next time I need tweaking or new boots I will go to him. He really listens and seems to be into problem solving, not selling, although I'm sure he'd be happy to sell me new boots. As far as the wedges . . . I've been reading and I see these are controversial. But I know I have long femurs, and mildly tight hamstrings and Achilles', so it is plausible that that will keep my instep and heel better engaged without having to buckle down so hard and they position me slightly more forward, which is good since I'm told that I have an unaggressive stance that belies my technique. So the proof will be in the pudding (or the powder). I will update once I've skied a few days in the tweaked boots. The heel wedges can always be removed.

TheSkiMonster works by appointment only, you book on line and can book to a specific fitter, i.e. Dylan. They are covid cautious limiting numbers and allowing for distancing in the shop. Location is terrible . . . right near Boston Garden, but I'm a city person and not daunted by this . . . I walked from work. The municipal Haymarket garage is right nearby for all you country folk. The staff is all young and they seem to be ski bros and ski chicks, but they are all skiers and they know their stuff.

Dylan really seemed interested in hearing about and then solving my problem. Yay Dylan!

Like Quote Reply

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just brought my 5 year old boots (approx 40 ski days) that I've been wearing "off the shelf," in for some tweaking to a shop recommended by my brother who has really weird feet, here in Boston. My 2 little toes on each foot get numb even with mild temps, happens faster and all toes get cold/numb in cold temps.

I purchase small rather than large because I like a snug fit, sticking to brand I've had success with, Tecnica, These were a few years old model, in the box and off price, when I bought them from a random ski shop in NH that I visited after picking up my kid at summer camp. Viva Demon 100 flex. Brave, but I had an idea of what I wanted and so far, except for the toes issue they've been great.

Additional Comments:

Dylan listened.
He looked.
He measured.
He listened.

He observed that I was borderline for size between 24.5 and 25.5, so that with sub optimal positioning, he's not surprised an issue would arise since my boots are 24.5. He says I have a low-mid vol foot and am in an appropriate boot. Yay me for making a sound purchase! I told him that indeed when I first put on my boots the toes touched at the end but when I buckled in and flexed, they pulled back with room to wiggle toes. He says my foot tends to pronate/arch rolls in, also true. He suspected that I was getting compression over peroneal nerve that runs below outer ankle bone and along foot and perhaps over top of foot, maybe because of how my foot rolls in the boot. That was my diagnosis, but I did not lead him on, and wanted to see if he'd come to a similar theory. I had no idea as to solution . . . .adjusting cant, cuff angle, buckles, footbeds, orthotics inserts, shims . . . all beyond me. He says if the foot is supported and positioned better in the boot, I can avoid that compression.

He suggested a solution, which is where the expertise comes in. First of all, commercial footbeds instead of the ones that come in the boot that have no arch support. He brought out low and med arch. Since med arch did not feel too much pressure, we went with that. He also suggested small wedges under the heels. He did all this while I waited, and then I put on the boots, and right away felt a little more room in the toes . . . is this possible? and then I stomped around admiring the skis and outerwear for 30 minutes. Boots felt great. He did not upsell me any custom footbeds, liners, or heaters, and I think came up with a plausible solution. He listened . . . imagine that!!

Next time I need tweaking or new boots I will go to him. He really listens and seems to be into problem solving, not selling, although I'm sure he'd be happy to sell me new boots. As far as the wedges . . . I've been reading and I see these are controversial. But I know I have long femurs, and mildly tight hamstrings and Achilles', so it is plausible that that will keep my instep and heel better engaged without having to buckle down so hard and they position me slightly more forward, which is good since I'm told that I have an unaggressive stance that belies my technique. So the proof will be in the pudding (or the powder). I will update once I've skied a few days in the tweaked boots. The heel wedges can always be removed.

TheSkiMonster works by appointment only, you book on line and can book to a specific fitter, i.e. Dylan. They are covid cautious limiting numbers and allowing for distancing in the shop. Location is terrible . . . right near Boston Garden, but I'm a city person and not daunted by this . . . I walked from work. The municipal Haymarket garage is right nearby for all you country folk. The staff is all young and they seem to be ski bros and ski chicks, but they are all skiers and they know their stuff.

Dylan really seemed interested in hearing about and then solving my problem. Yay Dylan!

Like Quote Reply
This has me convinced I need to see a boot-fitter. Problem: I live in Atlanta, Georgia Can anyone recommend an expert in the Atlanta area (I realize that’s a stretch) or within a 3-4 hour drive from Atlanta (North Carolina)?? If not, maybe I’ll have to schedule an early season boot-fitting/ski weekend somewhere farther afield.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BReeves215, how far is Columbia SC from you? Here's a highly recommended bootfitter there. This guy doesn't only run a shop and do bootfitting. He makes specialty bootfitting tools as well, and sells them to bootfitters everywhere.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Additional Comments:

Dylan listened.
He looked.
He measured.
He listened.

Like Quote Reply

So glad you had a good experience! Dylan is who I had for getting my AT hybrid boots at Ski Monster. However, I didn’t really have any work done on them to test his work in that way. I look forward to hearing what you think once you ski them.

I am someone who has been given heel lifts multiple times by different fitters, and always have a poor outcome with them. They make my boots fit better due to my low instep, but they put my weight completely onto the balls of my feet causing me lots of pain there as if I’m skiing in high heels and also tends to puts me into the backseat more when skiing. Definitely keep them in mind if anything feels off when you ski them. Obviously some people do well with them too, so could be just what you need!

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BReeves215, how far is Columbia SC from you? Here's a highly recommended bootfitter there. This guy doesn't only run a shop and do bootfitting. He makes specialty bootfitting tools as well, and sells them to bootfitters everywhere.
@liquidfeet thank you so much! Columbia is right at 3 hours so I could definitely make that work.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another option is to ask here about bootfitters near the mountain you'll most often visit this winter. Call ahead and make an appointment with a trusted bootfitter there during your visit. That way you won't have to drive 3 hours, and you can go back for tweaks after a day or two of skiing. Boots are made to be custom-shaped to fit your feet. That's one of the reasons they cost so much. Your cost includes custom adjustments. But you can't figure out what needs adjusting until you ski. A bootfitter where you ski is always best for getting these adjustments done.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Another option is to ask here about bootfitters near the mountain you'll most often visit this winter. Call ahead and make an appointment with a trusted bootfitter there during your visit. That way you won't have to drive 3 hours, and you can go back for tweaks after a day or two of skiing. Boots are made to be custom-shaped to fit your feet. That's one of the reasons they cost so much. Your cost includes custom adjustments. But you can't figure out what needs adjusting until you ski. A bootfitter where you ski is always best for getting these adjustments done.
Agreed...wish I would have done that. Now I have to ski at a place that isn't my first choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna