• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot transition

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to play devils advocate, you might be surprised at how much lighter most new boots are. If there’s a ski shop near you (doesn’t have to be a proper boot fitter for this). Have a browse, maybe try a pair or two on for fun. You might be pleasantly surprised. In which case you find a boot fitter to work with and hopefully get a boot that will have you eager to ski them.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Ooooh. Good perspective! My place said to plan on my size in the fall. Maybe this can be what dh and I do for a date. :laughter:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you plan to switch boots with the same bindings, I would take the skis and the new boots to the shop and just make sure they fit the bindings safely. Just because you can click a pair of boots into a pair of bindings doesn't necessarily mean that they will hold and release properly.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooooh. Good perspective! My place said to plan on my size in the fall. Maybe this can be what dh and I do for a date. :laughter:

apparently the stocking process was based on thinking people wouldn’t ski or need equipment as much this year. It turned out to be pretty much the opposite per my boot fitter. So we are looking at boots to be ordered or considered in August or September next year!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
If you plan to switch boots with the same bindings, I would take the skis and the new boots to the shop and just make sure they fit the bindings safely. Just because you can click a pair of boots into a pair of bindings doesn't necessarily mean that they will hold and release properly.

I appreciate the guidance.

With getting 3 of the 4 of us outfitted to ski this year after my long lag, I’ve gotten to know the folks at my local ski shop a little too well.

I don’t think they’d let me buy the new boots without bringing in my skis. Thankfully. LOL.

elemmac

Angel Diva
apparently the stocking process was based on thinking people wouldn’t ski or need equipment as much this year. It turned out to be pretty much the opposite per my boot fitter. So we are looking at boots to be ordered or considered in August or September next year!

Small tangent....Supply chains have been a HUGE issue across the industry this year, and quite frankly, they haven't caught up yet. I can see supply chain shortages possibly impacting next year's production as well (the bike industry is an even larger disaster). Most ski orders for the following year are placed in January/February...i.e. before COVID went mainstream. The demand increase on the industry has been absurd this year, so shortages are happening a lot (especially with AT equipment, snowshoes, cross-country skis, etc).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@elemmac ... All the supply chains in the last year have been a nightmare. I feel like they are starting to stabilize now, a full year in, but yikes, it was rough over the summer.

PS: now I’m sitting here trying to grade exams and thinking about getting new boots in August instead... bonus... I bet I could ask for them for my birthday. Boots and some Flylow bibs... ahhhhhhh.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Update... kind of hilarious.

I went skiing last Friday and towards the tail end, the slope off the lift had gone from hero to mashed potatoes. I hate mashed potatoes and they get in my head. So, I did what all reasonable people would do and looked directly down at them as they squished around between my skis. And then, of course, because that threw me into the backseat, I felt very unstable and proceeded to curl my toes completely under my feet, because that is an excellent way to maintain control over your already too short skis in conditions you hate.

So I realize that my boots are probably a lot more packed out/looser than they need to be, because NO WAY should I have been able to do that with my toes.

Please enjoy your laugh at my expense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna