• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot/ski dilemma

Jilly

Staff member
Well Atomic is bringing back a rear entry boot next year. @Jenny Jennyif I'd known when you were here at Tremblant I would have introduced you to Marc. He's the best around here. And they gphabpve Full tilt. Not sure about Roxa or Dabello on the mountain. Think they might be available in the village.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@Jenny
I ski in the Roxa R3w 105 T.I. (The T.I. stands for “tech inserts”, not titanium)! It is indeed the grilamid plastic. I LOVE this boot! My feet are narrow at the heel, but wide-ish across the toes in a bony kind of way, ha. Instep is moderately high, too high for the Tecnica Mach1’s I previously had. Formally, I have about a 97 last foot, but the Roxa’s are a narrow 99 and I have done well with them this entire season.

I ski the Roxa in the “soft” setting and have honestly never tried the “stiff” setting. They are definitely softer than my Tecnicas, but laterally stiff. It took a few runs to get used to the springier feel of the cabrio style, but now I am hooked.

These boots are very comfortable for me with just the liner molded...no other work was done. I do wear 5-toe Injinji ski socks to keep my toes spread apart. The instep buckle is great for locking in my narrow heel. The boots are very light, and I swear I can ski a much longer day because of that. I am not currently taking advantage of their tech inserts, but it would be fun to have a touring setup with them.

FWIW, I got them with a regular DIN sole, not the GripWalk sole, because I have 2 pairs of skis with standard bindings. However, I can easily switch to a GripWalk sole if needed.

Glen Plake skis the men’s version....I figure then the women’s version is good enough for me. :wink:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a good description of my general foot shape, @vanhoskier . I'll have to keep that mfg for next time.

My boots have the wrap Intuition I.D. liner. I did not get them heat-molded, yet anyway.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
That's a good description of my general foot shape, @vanhoskier . I'll have to keep that mfg for next time.

My boots have the wrap Intuition I.D. liner. I did not get them heat-molded, yet anyway.

My intuition liner is not the wrap version, but the tongue version (or whatever you call it)! Some people just ski in the liner unmolded and it eventually molds to the feet. I probably could’ve done this with these boots because the out of the box fit was so good.

IMHO, Roxa is doing a better job than Dalbello right now in offering a narrower last, high performance cabrio boot. Dalbello dropped the women’s Kryzma from their line, which I find perplexing.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny
I ski in the Roxa R3w 105 T.I. (The T.I. stands for “tech inserts”, not titanium)! It is indeed the grilamid plastic. I LOVE this boot! My feet are narrow at the heel, but wide-ish across the toes in a bony kind of way, ha. Instep is moderately high, too high for the Tecnica Mach1’s I previously had. Formally, I have about a 97 last foot, but the Roxa’s are a narrow 99 and I have done well with them this entire season.

I ski the Roxa in the “soft” setting and have honestly never tried the “stiff” setting. They are definitely softer than my Tecnicas, but laterally stiff. It took a few runs to get used to the springier feel of the cabrio style, but now I am hooked.

These boots are very comfortable for me with just the liner molded...no other work was done. I do wear 5-toe Injinji ski socks to keep my toes spread apart. The instep buckle is great for locking in my narrow heel. The boots are very light, and I swear I can ski a much longer day because of that. I am not currently taking advantage of their tech inserts, but it would be fun to have a touring setup with them.

FWIW, I got them with a regular DIN sole, not the GripWalk sole, because I have 2 pairs of skis with standard bindings. However, I can easily switch to a GripWalk sole if needed.

Glen Plake skis the men’s version....I figure then the women’s version is good enough for me. :wink:
Thanks for the feedback. Narrow 99 is good, higher instep might be an issue, but now I know to pay extra attention to that part. According to what I’ve been told and am reading, the Dalbello Chakra has a 98 last. Was the Kryzma even narrower? Did the Chakra replace it? Just curious.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well Atomic is bringing back a rear entry boot next year. @Jenny Jennyif I'd known when you were here at Tremblant I would have introduced you to Marc. He's the best around here. And they gphabpve Full tilt. Not sure about Roxa or Dabello on the mountain. Think they might be available in the village.
I thought your fitter spent the winters in Whistler - I should have mentioned it, I guess. Anytime there’s a group of divas there’s a lot of collective info - missed my chance!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the feedback. Narrow 99 is good, higher instep might be an issue, but now I know to pay extra attention to that part. According to what I’ve been told and am reading, the Dalbello Chakra has a 98 last. Was the Kryzma even narrower? Did the Chakra replace it? Just curious.

Not really. The Chakra was around when the Kyrzma was, it was always just a softer flex. Otherwise, it was basically the same boot from what I understand. Dieter tried me in the Kryzma when I got my Chakras, and it was just too much boot for me; too stiff for me to flex. It, to me, looks like maybe Dalbello just increased the flex on the Chakras (used to be an 85 flex only boot), and now there seem to be multiple flexes offered with the Chakra name?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Give Andrew at Northern Edge Snowsports a call and see what he has left - I know he carries Roxa.

mustski

Angel Diva
Dalbello dropped the women’s Kryzma from their line, which I find perplexing.
The Kryzma was a VERY stiff boot. I had it and had to remove the doo hickey (I really don't know what it's called) that increased the stiffness. It was a plastic piece that had 3 stiffness levels from around 90 -110. I also had the original Chakra and although the shell shape was the same, it WAS a much lesser boot. The intuition liner was not the top of the line one that was in the Kryzma and it wasn't even heat moldable. The buckles were not nearly as good, etc. My son's GF used my Chakras as a beginner boot and has had no problem with learning to ski using them - at the softest setting. She is very athletic though. I am not saying they were a beginner boot, just that the flex range made them super user friendly.

. According to what I’ve been told and am reading, the Dalbello Chakra has a 98 last. Was the Kryzma even narrower? Did the Chakra replace it? Just curious.
No the last was identical with the two boots. The Chakra was considerably softer in it's range. I found the stiffest Chakra setting to be the same as the softest Kryzma setting. Why I had both is a whole other story. The new model of Chakra is much higher end than the original Chakra and does seem to be more of a compromise between the two original models.

Interesting that Glen Plake is skiing the Roxa. He designed the Dalbello Krypton line which included both the Kryzma and the Chakra!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny P3 in Mammoth has the Full Tilt, Dalbello and Roxa boots - not sure what they would have late season..... I did demo the Roxa RXW1 tour boot and preferred it over last years Scarpa F1. Yes GP has been connected w/ Roxa for some time, and Mrs. GP also skis in Roxa - she apparenlty has a smaller foot, and well, thats probably why there are true 22's in the line up. Just saying.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also had the original Chakra and although the shell shape was the same, it WAS a much lesser boot. The intuition liner was not the top of the line one that was in the Kryzma and it wasn't even heat moldable.

Interesting. Wonder when they changed it up. Mine are 4 yrs old and definitely came with liners that are heat moldable.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva

I think, in the last year of the Kryzma, the instep buckle placement was changed and the heel pocket was tighter....not to mention the stiffer flex.

I still believe the Roxa is a narrower fit than the Dalbello.

FYI: my BSL went from a 295 in the Tecnica, to a 290 in the Roxa, due to the thinner plastic, even though I now have more toe room. Not a big deal in terms of binding adjustment...the binding that has the most limited range of adjustment is the Look Pivot (max range in them is about 6 mm) but I was able to adjust them down 5 mm.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny P3 in Mammoth has the Full Tilt, Dalbello and Roxa boots - not sure what they would have late season..... I did demo the Roxa RXW1 tour boot and preferred it over last years Scarpa F1. Yes GP has been connected w/ Roxa for some time, and Mrs. GP also skis in Roxa - she apparenlty has a smaller foot, and well, thats probably why there are true 22's in the line up. Just saying.
So, this is a plus in the Reasons to go to Mammoth list, then . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just wondering - I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Chakras from somewhere I can return them, just so I can try out the fit. Started looking online and there are some out there that are new, but several years old. How old would you consider too old to buy, even if they're unused? Asking just in case there's a safety reason with age of plastic, for example.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Chakra has not been in production for all that long. A new boot will have been likely stored in it's box and not exposed to factors that would compromise the integrity of the plastic ? I bought an older Chakra online to replace my original pair . Neither of these boots would be considered too old to use and are holding up beautifully.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I would think you wouldn’t have to worry as much about the plastic on an unused boot since presumably they’ve been inside and therefore exposed to less sunlight and the elements. I wouldn’t have a problem buying a new boot that’s a few years old if it’s what you are specifically looking for.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think a couple of seasons old would be ok. I almost returned the boots I purchased online, and then didn't. It worked out. Good luck with yours!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna