• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot/ski dilemma

Jenny

Angel Diva
The Chakra has not been in production for all that long. A new boot will have been likely stored in it's box and not exposed to factors that would compromise the integrity of the plastic ? I bought an older Chakra online to replace my original pair . Neither of these boots would be considered too old to use and are holding up beautifully.
I saw one that was dated 2013, which is what made me ask the question. Was just skimming through search results, though and haven't paid enough attention to see if there are different models, levels, etc. yet.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plastics used for boots seem to have come a long way in the past few years...... just saying.
A season or two? but not 6

mustski

Angel Diva
@tinymoose I’m not sure what year they switched to the higher quality ID liner. The ones I had were 2014 and they were technically “heat moldable” but the way myboot fitter explained it was that the model was designed to mold to your feet while skiing and didn’t need molding. The Kryzma ID liners required heat molding. They were a much stiffer liner. Hence my whole 2 pairs of boots Goldilocks experience. :wink:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've been in Full Tilts for the last few years. They're...okay. I guess. The only higher-end women's model now is the Soul Sister. I had those but did not get along with the full-wrap Intuition pro liner. I now have a model (no longer made or available, unless on clearance) that has a liner with a tongue. So if you're interested in a comparison, ask away about FT. The instep is somewhat high, which is a problem for me (low instep). I had the Soul Sister liners molded (twice!). I've just skied-in/broken-in the liners on the Rumors. The liners just don't seem to last as long as I'd like (2 seasons).

Full Tilt, Dalbello 3-piece and Roxa are the 3 manufacturers who have capitalized on the original molds, patents and designs of the venerable Raichle Flexon Comp (which DH loved and skied until they fell apart). They had a cult following.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've been in Full Tilts for the last few years. They're...okay. I guess. The only higher-end women's model now is the Soul Sister. I had those but did not get along with the full-wrap Intuition pro liner. I now have a model (no longer made or available, unless on clearance) that has a liner with a tongue. So if you're interested in a comparison, ask away about FT. The instep is somewhat high, which is a problem for me (low instep). I had the Soul Sister liners molded (twice!). I've just skied-in/broken-in the liners on the Rumors. The liners just don't seem to last as long as I'd like (2 seasons).

Full Tilt, Dalbello 3-piece and Roxa are the 3 manufacturers who have capitalized on the original molds, patents and designs of the venerable Raichle Flexon Comp (which DH loved and skied until they fell apart). They had a cult following.
Well, if Full Tilt has a high instep then it's likely not going to work for me, either. I tried them on once a long time ago and wasn't a fan of the wrap liner, either, but was willing to give that another shot. I want cabrio, and currently have Dalbello so I’m thinking they’re still a good bet but want to take a good look at the Roxa. The ones I tried on felt good, but I’m constitutionally unable to buy something without comparing.

Two seasons doesn’t sound like a very long time at all - although I know it would be longer with my low number of ski days, but stil . . . Anything else besides that and the instep that's been a big issue?

DH wants to see if he can get a cabrio style to fit him, too. He sees me getting in and out of mine so easily and is jealous every time.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Jenny - I'd say on the order of 75 days for a liner is about the best I can hope/expect. That was the case with 15+ years of Tecnicas as well. It's partly my feet?? :noidea:

The FT forefoot width is 99, which works fairly well for me. I'd been in 98's for years, with some models requiring "6th toe blow-out." I'm not crazy about the cables. They are as big a PITA as they were with the Raichle Flexon Comp (we kept a supply for DH - until production stopped <sigh>).

I changed the tongue from a #4 flex to a #6 flex. It's easy enough to do, but the tongues are pricey. And they have to be nudged into place just about every time the boot gets put on.

I'm far less impressed with my FT boots than DH has been with his (obviously, as a previous big fan of Raichle's original).

I am impressed by both Dalbello's 3 piece shells and now Roxa - but I haven't tried either one yet. The Full Tilts started as a "lark" - and now...5 years later... Que sera sera...

Jenny

Angel Diva
@MaineSkiLady - I very much like my current Dalbellos, and the Chakras have a 98 last, which should be even better for me. Vanhoskier says the Roxa is a narrow 99 last and the ones I tried on felt pretty darn good. I just really want to compare them side by side, so that’s why I’m th8nking ofmordering the Dalbellos and then going to the store with the Roxas and trying them out.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Interesting reading, I am sort of thinking about getting a new pair of alpine boots for ski demoing and in case I want ever want to ski without risk of face-planting. After several years exclusively in telemark boots, comfort is high on my list. I get scared reading about all the issues...but we'll see.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am happy for anyone who is excited to get new ski boots.

I have 40 days or so in mine. The liners started relaxing about 10 days ago, so one adjustment was made. Since then, they have settled more. I'll have to start futzing with them next year ~~ a full boot shim, maybe a new liner. If I have to, yeah, I'll get new boots. This is pair #4. I've only skied about 6 seasons in total. And have gone to the recommended-as-excellent bootfitters for 2 of those pair.

Not sure how many more times I can go through some of these cycles -- recovery from injury, boot issues. I fear one of these things will push me to the "not doing this any more" and I'll just hang it up.

I'm going to live vicariously through your boot happiness. Maybe some of the good boot juju will rub off on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna