• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Boot sizing

kay.munro

Diva in Training
I am looking for advise on boot sizing for my son. I really don’t know much about ski boot sizing and we’ve been going along trial and error thus far. We don’t have much in our area for equipment dealers, just a sports check an hour away and the young rep wasn’t overly helpful. We have finally found a pair of second hand boots that fit his foot(23.5) but we can’t get the top buckle even close to done up. I’ve looked at the boots and they don’t appear to be adjustable. Do we just keep sizing up until we can get that top buckle done up? Is there some sort of accessory we can try to extend the buckle? Thank I’m advance for any advice.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hello! Did the Sports Check shop measure his foot and get a 23.5 measurement? To answer your question, no, I would not size up if the 23.5 fits the length of his foot.

How old is your son?
Is this a 4 buckle boot?

Generally the top two buckles have two positions they can be affixed to (a tool is required to move them from spot to spot). If they are in the smaller location there should be a hole next to the buckle that it can be moved to in order to enlarge the buckle to handle a larger calf.

Post a pic of the boot and any identifying info printed on the boot (mondo size which I assume is 23.5, BSL, brand, model) as that might help evaluate the fit specs for the boot.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I am no boot fitting expert but just learned some tips in my first boot fitting sessions recently:

1. Like @lisamamot said, there are 3 positions (for the boots I tried) for the upper buckles that can be adjusted to different calf size.

2. Buckle up all the buckles when not using as the plastic shell have memory :-)

3. Always bring the boots inside overnight and put them in warm area (such as next to the vent of heater)

4. Wear thinest socks and use foot bed

5. If it's too difficult to buckle up the top most buckle, try the second one from the top. Once the second one is buckled up, it's easier to buckle up the top most one.

6. When buckling up, don't use more force than necessary. Finger tight for the lower buckles and palm tight for the upper ones.

Hope some of the tips are helpful.

Jilly

Staff member
Sport chek means you're in Canada. Where? If the length is OK, there are extensions available for boots, but I'm sure you're just not seeing the adjustment. Post a pic and maybe we can help you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am looking for advise on boot sizing for my son. I really don’t know much about ski boot sizing and we’ve been going along trial and error thus far. We don’t have much in our area for equipment dealers, just a sports check an hour away and the young rep wasn’t overly helpful. We have finally found a pair of second hand boots that fit his foot(23.5) but we can’t get the top buckle even close to done up. I’ve looked at the boots and they don’t appear to be adjustable. Do we just keep sizing up until we can get that top buckle done up? Is there some sort of accessory we can try to extend the buckle? Thank I’m advance for any advice.
Welcome! Do you know how to take out the liner? For kids, it really helps to see what their foot looks like inside the boot without the liner. Instead of relying on what they say when someone asks how boots feel. I learned that renting when my daughter was ages 4-6.

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
My son has very large calves (he's a handball player with big leg muscles).
He needs to tighten both the power strap and the second buckle to even get near to closing, and then he can only have it in the first notch - with the buckle mounted in the spot closest to the center.

If the boots have a power strap (a 23.5 could very well have that), try also tightening this first.

But one question that comes to mind - it's not women's boots, are they?
They are typically narrower and could be identical to jr. or unisex boots on the outside.

kay.munro

Diva in Training
Hi ladies thank you for all you help and questions. I’ll attach the photos I took here and try to answer all the questions.

1. Yes we’re in Canada, we’re in southern MB. Closest sports check is a little over an hr away.
2. My son is 8years old, built more like a 9-10year old though.
3. The sports check rep measured his foot to be 21.5, but when he brought out this size we couldn’t even get it on. We were told they were sold out of the next size up.
4. Yes the boots have 4 buckles, I’m not sure if they’re ladies.
5. We’ve tried buckling the second buckle first, but still cannot get the top one done up.
6. He foot does fit nice in just the liner alone.... also getting those back in is a bit of a task lol.
7. I did look to see if there where holes to adjust the buckles but I didn’t see any. I also am not entirely sure what I’m looking for.
Looking forward to hear all of your advice!! Thanks soooo much!

Attachments

• F8B174BE-4686-426D-99AF-549F51922BC3.jpeg
    F8B174BE-4686-426D-99AF-549F51922BC3.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 52813EB2-15AC-44C9-8B73-18CC52B64C9F.jpeg
    52813EB2-15AC-44C9-8B73-18CC52B64C9F.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 1372A376-D576-49D6-83C3-FFEBF7DA3D6C.jpeg
    1372A376-D576-49D6-83C3-FFEBF7DA3D6C.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0E5F33A4-7E6B-4F75-802C-E613E5161BE5.jpeg
    0E5F33A4-7E6B-4F75-802C-E613E5161BE5.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 99F1958C-9D0C-476E-814F-9CEC18A03263.jpeg
    99F1958C-9D0C-476E-814F-9CEC18A03263.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 68D75AE7-8C46-461A-AA8D-1EC2E88AB83B.jpeg
    68D75AE7-8C46-461A-AA8D-1EC2E88AB83B.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 15

Jilly

Staff member
We have those in the local shop. Let me stop in and check on some things I think you can do. Since you can't move the receiver without making new holes, there has to be something else.

Going up a size is not going to help this. The cuff is the issue, not the size. He's probably 2 sizes too big already.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 2 cents for fitting a younger kid with larger calves. (Not a boot fitter, just my observations).

Head’s youth boots seem to have a lower cuff height to help hit below the calf. They also have the same dip in the back that women’s boots do to help with calf fit. Not all youth boots have this. I think it might also open a bit wider than others. Model names vary by year, older is cx2, newer include j2, z2.

The Dalbello cx2 also has a lower cuff, and the ratcheting top buckle allows for a wider range of adjustment, and can go pretty wide. I think the Menace 2 is the newer model but same fit? The Dalbello might go a bit wider in total than the Head.

Rossignol boots tend to be narrower at the cuff, and more buckles at smaller sizes, so a bit higher on the leg. I don’t think they have the dip in back either.

To sum it up- look for 2 buckle, dip in back, ratchet might help too, and lower cuff height.

But 2 sizes up will not make learning to ski any easier.

Jilly

Staff member
I was into our local ski shop after work. (and consequently got put to work) The only thing you can do is to replace the "bale" or wire on the buckle with a longer/larger one. And as mentioned Rossi has one of the smallest cuffs out there.

Jilly

Staff member
I doubt that Sport Chek will have them. Are you going skiing somewhere soon where there is a ski shop or rental shop? I imagine to get a pair on line is going to really costly for shipping.

kay.munro

Diva in Training
We’d like to go this Friday, now that we finally have equipment for everyone, or thought so anyway. There’s a rental shop at the hill we go to. I’ll ask there, worst case I suppose we can rent boots I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly