• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot questions

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I am in search of some new alpine boots for non-touring days. I will be visiting a boot fitter next month and will run these questions by him, but before then I thought I'd check into the collected wisdom of the Divas.

1. I have a wide forefoot (bunions on both sides). I find shoes fit best in a C-width. Can anyone recommend a women's alpine ski boot that has worked for them?

2. Or ... does it make sense to go with men's boots as they are usually wider? I'm wondering if I will miss out on any features specific to women's boots that make it better to stick with them ... and do more fitting work?

3. I find the bias is increasingly toward stiffer boots, however, I find I like a flex around 90 (yes I know there is no consistency among brands). If I try a stiffer boot, I find I feel like the boot is standing me up too straight and I can't use enough range of motion to pressure the boot/ski adequately. I'm an advanced skier with lots of miles, 135 lbs, and strong/fit, and I've made this work for me for decades, but I always worry that I'm missing out on something that will advance my technique light years by using a softer boot. Can someone explain why I should consider going stiffer ... or is it perfectly possible to ski really well with a softer boot?

Thanks!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so the wrong person to giving advice re boots so I'll leave it to the experts.
@liquidfeet posted on a thread (I want to say recently but it was probably months ago!) and had some fantastic insights into boot flex and how it relates to our skiing, hopefully she spots this and can jump in .

PS good bootfitters can work miracles :hail:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Boots can be stretched around the forefoot, heel hold is more important. I have narrow heels and a normal volume foot for the length with flexible flat feet. I have bunions and bunionettes, and made the mistake of going for wider-last boots with a previous purchase meaning I needed to have foam in around the heel. Currently I'm in the Tecnica Mach 1 LV at a 95 flex, because it offered better heel hold for me than the Atomic Hawx Ultra. I also have custom insoles and have had the bunion areas stretched twice. After this week I may go back for a third stretch on the right side because I have definitely got ongoing pressure on the bunionette. Adjustments are all included in the purchase price as I bought from a shop that is both a boot retailer and fitter.

For reference my usual street shoe size due to width and bunion issues is 6.5 in stretchable leather shoes, 7-8 in most other shoes, with around a 23.5cm foot length. I wear a 23.5cm boot.

2. Women's boots tend to account for a lower calf insertion point, larger calf flare, and generally shorter stature. If you are taller then you may not need these things.

3. Many people ski perfectly well with softer boots. Stiff boots can be softened if needed. There is extreme variability between brands though so focus less on the number and more on the feel.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would also recommend the advice that @scandium has stated. If you are seeking a wide boot to accommodate forefoot issues as a priority, you are not just borrowing trouble, you're buying it! A bootfitter that knows their stuff can help dial in that forefoot requirement. However it is imperative that the boot fit very snug around the entire foot with particular attention to the heel and the top of the foot. Boot volume can be critical to ski control. Go in with an open mind, doing your best to disregard suggestions that YOU think will be problematic , allowing the fitters to work their magic, and you'll likely have a great experience discovering the options together,

marzNC

Angel Diva
3. Many people ski perfectly well with softer boots. Stiff boots can be softened if needed. There is extreme variability between brands though so focus less on the number and more on the feel.
For sure!

As I progressed (from age 55 to 65) to being a solid advanced skier, I upgraded my boots a few times. I'm using the third pair of boots, which are the second fitted at a local ski shop (I don't live in big mountain ski country) by an experienced boot fitter. They are relatively soft but work just fine for what I want to do in terms of challenging challenging terrain with deep powder, bumps, or steep trees. I'm petite, with relatively short, strong legs and big calves. A "performance fit" that would be stiffer is too uncomfortable to be worth it.

I did change out to Intuition liners after the original heat-moldable liner packed out. That stiffens boots up a bit so that's a bonus in my case.

Jilly

Staff member
I need a large toe box. I'm currently in the Atomic Hawk Prime. Both boots have had the "toe box" squared off to accommodate this. So the Prime is a medium fit, with a narrow heel pocket.

This is the kind of stuff a GOOD boot fitter can do.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
1. Boots can be stretched around the forefoot, heel hold is more important. I have narrow heels and a normal volume foot for the length with flexible flat feet. I have bunions and bunionettes, and made the mistake of going for wider-last boots with a previous purchase meaning I needed to have foam in around the heel. Currently I'm in the Tecnica Mach 1 LV at a 95 flex, because it offered better heel hold for me than the Atomic Hawx Ultra. I also have custom insoles and have had the bunion areas stretched twice. After this week I may go back for a third stretch on the right side because I have definitely got ongoing pressure on the bunionette. Adjustments are all included in the purchase price as I bought from a shop that is both a boot retailer and fitter.

For reference my usual street shoe size due to width and bunion issues is 6.5 in stretchable leather shoes, 7-8 in most other shoes, with around a 23.5cm foot length. I wear a 23.5cm boot.

2. Women's boots tend to account for a lower calf insertion point, larger calf flare, and generally shorter stature. If you are taller then you may not need these things.

Thanks @scandium! Great advice. I wasn't aware that the fit in the heel and top of the foot were the critical spots. I just assumed width was more important. It also makes me realize I should have a bootfitter look at my current touring boots too. Too much heel movement for sure which leads to blisters.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
A bootfitter that knows their stuff can help dial in that forefoot requirement.
I have always thought it isn't a good idea to punch out the forefoot if you could avoid it and so I've always skied with a cramped forefoot, to the point I often get nerve "zaps" in the middle of my forefoot. Sounds like I've been rather stoo-pid on this one. Thanks for the advice!

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
What's a bunionette?
Essentially the same thing as a bunion ... but on the outside of your foot, just behind your little toe. A true bunion occurs on the inside of your foot, just behind your big toe. I've also heard bunionettes called Tailor's Bunions ... but neither is common in my experiences. Most people just seem to call any big lump on their feet a bunion.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
This is the kind of stuff a GOOD boot fitter can do.
I am going to see if your fav bootfitter Barry is back in Whistler as I'm headed through there in two weeks. I know a second guy in Victoria, but Barry seems to have a big fan club.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve very triangular shaped feet, a very wide forefoot (usually a D) and narrow heel (and ankle). I am in a Tecnica Mach 1LV for alpine (had one boot forefoot punched out) and the Scott Celeste 2 for AT. The latter, btw, is the best fitting boot I have ever had. It’s 103.5mm in the forefoot at the 27 (rather than the typical 26) size.

Jilly

Staff member
He wouldn't be in WB till November anyways. His wife and kiddo's do need to see him.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
@Jilly Do you tour in the Atomic Hawx Prime? I’ve tried it on and it seems to fit well before any adjustment but my initial impression is “heavy”. I am waiting to A/B it with Dynafit Radical Pro which isn’t a heck of a lot lighter despite the fact my “brain” tells it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly