• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boho Chic...Ski Clothing?!

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just received an email from Free People promoting their new Ski Shop section. Interesting. There are maybe three things that are practical and useful for actual skiing, a couple cute sweaters and some ridiculously bougie outfits that my son would make fun of if he saw someone wearing them.
https://www.freepeople.com/the-ski-shop/

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Granted, I don't think too much of the photos used for the marketing (topless under snow bibs to show a headband?) but there are some respectable brands in the mix. Flylow, Hestra, Oakley to name a few.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, there's a pink jacket and pants that are actually kinda cute and reasonable, and the goggles are good, but the rest of that stuff....Nutty.

Christy

Angel Diva
Down joggers! Wow!

It's hard to know if these clothes are meant to be taken seriously as ski gear. I have to think no, but I could be wrong. I will be on the lookout for someone on the slopes in the "Hit the Slopes" jacket.

I will say, I'd rather look at these than the baggy clothes that have persisted among some riders/skiers.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm fine with a puffy skirt as I have a few of them. Mostly got on sale though.
But down joggers, do you ski in them? Run in them? Wear to the grocery store?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to be obsessed with Free People and I still have a room full of FP clothes that I don’t wear anymore.
I’d like to have the leopard print onesie and the down joggers!! Some items are reasonably priced and some are WTH?! But it seems like their target audience are not serious skiers but more like those who likes to take ski vacation at fancy resort towns and care more about looks than function...

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
The down joggers are puffer in the front and knit in the back...kind of sucks up moisture when on a lift, don’t ya think?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The down joggers are puffer in the front and knit in the back...kind of sucks up moisture when on a lift, don’t ya think?
Sounds like that would just leave you cold and damp.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some of this looks like it would survive on a mountain. Some looks like it’s really just for people who want to look good in the cabin with their friends (I can see a lot of LA girls going on Big Bear weekend trips in some of these!) .... and then there’s this $1000 jacket that while it looks cool I can’t imagine ever wanting to wear it while skiing
https://www.freepeople.com/shop/sierra-bomber/

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found a great article about this on Outside Online that summed up a lot of my mixed feelings about this.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2367201/free-people-ski-apparel

“ Part of skiing, for me, has always been about toughness and parsing the line between capability and visibility. It’s periodically been one of the few spaces where value was placed on what my body could do instead of what it looked like. I’ve never wanted fuzzy cropped sweaters. I want three-layer Gore-Tex and to not have to think about wearing something cute underneath.”

“ Schutt says skiwear has been a trend in recent runway shows, like outerwear label Moncler’s, and that Free People has been following the vanstagram movement. The brand thinks those trends track with its boho customer base. ‘It’s the winter side of this girl who loves to be adventurous and explore,’ she says.

If skiing is trending, maybe that’s not such a bad thing. Jen Gurecki, CEO of women’s snow-gear brand Coalition Skis, says the Free People team approached Coalition because it liked the idea of a women-specific brand. She says Free People picked the skis based on graphics, not intended use, but she still thinks the exposure is a way to pull beginners into the sport and to diversify it.”

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Some of this looks like it would survive on a mountain. Some looks like it’s really just for people who want to look good in the cabin with their friends (I can see a lot of LA girls going on Big Bear weekend trips in some of these!) .... and then there’s this $1000 jacket that while it looks cool I can’t imagine ever wanting to wear it while skiing
https://www.freepeople.com/shop/sierra-bomber/

Just took a gander, and from my perspective here in Vermont, it's what I call the Not From Around Here Look.

Maybe it'd fly in Aspen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing