• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

body workout ot keep.....off!

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am wondering what other women who tend to gain weight in their waist, butt and thighs do to get it off in off season, I am going to get back into biking as I did few years back. If I recall it did not tone me up as I want in a couple of those areas.
I do not have a high metabolism which has some impact on this issue.

I am not a swimmer so not including this. Some power walking with trek poles yes!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running but honestly, you'll never tone up like you want (I know from experience) without loosing the fat which is mostly a calories in/calories out issue. But really I'm finding running helps me with those calories out like nothing else.

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
unfortunately I am not able to run due to severe shin splints I use to get caused by running. Never liked it either so not a loss. But thanks.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Running but honestly, you'll never tone up like you want (I know from experience) without loosing the fat which is mostly a calories in/calories out issue. But really I'm finding running helps me with those calories out like nothing else.

I would agree. I was at my most fit many years ago (sniff!) when running distance. Wish my knees were better so I still could.

I also like distance hiking/backpacking. Nothing like being out all day, climbing hills while carrying weight to burn calories like crazy! When we used to backpack more often, I could lose 5+lbs a week. No way to carry the kind of calories needed to offset the work!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eating and strength training are the two big ticket items for dropping pounds. After that comes interval training - which can be done with anything - bike, skates, treadmill...anything.

Here's a link to one of my favourite fitness articles that really lays out all of the options. It's called the Hierarchy of Fatloss by a trainer from California named Alwyn Cosgrove.

Elsbeth

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoy hiking, but only really do that while I'm on camping trips with the family. While at home, I spend a lot of time with work out DVD's doing step aerobics, kickbox, other aerobic and weight training work outs - I find these the most helpful at least as a way of maintaining. The occasional bike rides are great too (these are also with family).

Good luck!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mix it up----running, biking, weight w/o's, trail running, hiking.

The combination of these during the summer helps me, but I confess, the weight classes and pilates are the toughest to do for me---I'm not a go-to-class/exercise on schedule person.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In-line skating at high intensity burns almost the same amount of calories without the stress on the joints and shin splints. Besides, it's way more fun than running :smile:.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
skating

I agree with Volklgirl, skating is a great way to tone without the impact of running. Last week I purchased a pair of "all-terrain" skates (SKIKE) that can be used with nordic poles and skated as if you were cross-country skiing. However, since they are shorter than most of the "rollerski" types, you can skate them on grass, very rough roads, hills, etc. even without poles. And they come with an efficient brake system!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Darn, these look awesome---I now have a new toy on my wish list. I see great potential for fun on these.

It looks like the best way to get them is ordering online?

I agree with Volklgirl, skating is a great way to tone without the impact of running. Last week I purchased a pair of "all-terrain" skates (SKIKE) that can be used with nordic poles and skated as if you were cross-country skiing. However, since they are shorter than most of the "rollerski" types, you can skate them on grass, very rough roads, hills, etc. even without poles. And they come with an efficient brake system!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skike skates

After work this afternoon I came home and "set-up" the skates. You can adjust the sole plates front and back for the fit of your particular shoe. Then you need to get the brakes tweaked--based on your shoe, etc. A simple wing-nut adjustment. Since I was not going out to skate for real I didn't put on the protective stuff that I usually wear when inlining. I had to inflate the tires also! My first attempts at rolling were awkward at best...I felt like a beginning skier. Two left feet and all. However as I putted around the front yard with the poles (very tall nordic poles, not used to this) I could see how this could get really fun. I'll take them somewhere tomorrow afternoon if I have the time and REALLY put some effort into getting the hang of this.

Online is about the only way to get these. I found out from one distributor that they are hard to get from Germany, so some American sellers are liquidating their inventory---SALE !---. They did highly recommend this skate over similar products.
The unfortunate thing is that the instruction book that arrrives is a poor translation from German; kind of funny. (Missyd, Vanhoskier, Miranda, and 2ski2moro shouldn't have any difficulty reading the original instructions!)

We'll see how this adventure goes; and I am promising myself that I will not become discouraged if it takes more practice than I'd hoped. :redface:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly