• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body position any quick fire tips ?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We do sadly, although we over here wouldn't describe this as hard pack :laughter:I think our hard pack is more like your boilerplate ! Because we are a teeny tiny island nation we truly are at the mercy of the oceans that surround us so our climate reflects that, the majority of the snow we get is definately on the "damp and heavy " side with a high moisture content. I might try and grab a pair of carvers next time I go up and see how I go. The L3 guy did mention that.
Seconded - the video looks like regular NZ groomers to me :smile: in fact, if this was yesterday, I was actually at Hutt that day so have some idea as to the conditions - the groomers at Hutt over the weekend and yesterday were just fantastic! Dry chalky snow... they're going to all turn to ice after this week of rain though :frown:

I do enjoy my carvers and use them most days, I just feel like I can get on edge so much faster because they're narrower. Though I still slide around on them a fair amount :redface:

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dry chalky snow... they're going to all turn to ice after this week of rain though :frown:
If they even survive :eek: The groomies have been great this last week, off piste has been a bit funky, ok if you pick your line, the sunny aspects have been pretty heavy going but he shadier aspects have actually been okayish esp now that they've had more skier traffic on them and become a little more chopped up and friendly. Those weird wind waves from a few weeks back are still lurking deep in the snowpack on some aspects, with a bit of luck the rain might actually help smooth some areas out. Backcountry has been incredible according to friends and Hubby. Sadly the warm temps today have already done some damage on the Torlesse Range which is just up behind us :cry:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's some pics someone else took yesterday during the brief sunny spell we had.
My video was taken on the cat tracks, actually I pulled up on that hairpin corner up on the top right of the pic.
The second pic was taken over the back looking across to the West Face, out of bounds but as you can see its a a great spot for those that like to skin or bootpack back up.View attachment 19014View attachment 19015
If you look closely at the top pic you can see our wonderful double black uphill T Bar line which was the scene of absolute chaos apparently on Sunday, sadly a child fell off and then hit an elderly gentleman who then also went sliding down and hit his head on someone's ski boot and was rendered unconscious. Apparently they had 2 Helicopter Evacs that day so I'm pleased I didnt go. The weekends have become soooo busy and a lot of people seem to over estimate their ability hence it ends in carnage :frown:

Jilly

Staff member
What ski are you on? I was watching the video again and these skis are bouncing all over the place on the snow.

Jilly

Staff member
Exactly. I think a carver might be the ski to improve the skills on. You can take a carver into loose snow.

Reactions: AJM

LucieCZ

Certified Ski Diva
I watched the video. Kudos on getting where you are! Lots of great advice here, so I'll try not to be redundant. I saw a lot of focus on the back half of your turns, hence the skidding, but if you focus more on the prep and start of your turn, you'll be able to bend your ski and make a more complete carve, then release a little earlier to start your next turn. there's so much good stuff about body mechanics from others. hope that helps!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly