• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - length?

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What’s your experience with Blizzard Sheeva 9, does it ski long?

I found an end of season deal on a pair of Sheevas in 171 which is very tempting. The reason for asking is a Blister(?) review where they said you’ll feel every added centimeter with Blizzard… With the rocker I had thought they’d ski short but reading this threw me off.

My one trick pony ski is the original purple bull Black Pearl skis in 166 that I’ve been looking to retire for a while. I recently had a rare opportunity to demo the Santa Ana 93 in 170-ish which was no problem lengthwise, but I didn’t feel love I had expected.
I’m 5’6” tall and a lower advanced level skier. I typically play at the side of trails or in the woods if I’m not skiing with my kids. I nowadays ski in Scandinavia which is not as icy as the east coast but with less snow then out west.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Sheeva 9's and I don't think they ski long (I'm 5'1" and have the 157's). They're a good length for me. I also have the Santa Ana 93's in a 161, and they definitely ski short (they have a lot of rocker).

What do you think, @MissySki?

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the input, that’s very useful! The ratio between height and ski length would be about the same for us.

When I demoed the SAs my legs were already tired but they felt incredibly heavy and as if they wanted to straight line most things as fast as possible. What’s youthoughts on those two skis, how do they compare?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think they're both excellent skis. It's really a matter of personal preference. I didn't find the SA 93's heavy at all and thought they were easy to turn. And my 93's are from 2018; I know they've changed the construction since then to make them a bit lighter. I recently retired them and am now skiing the Sheeva 9's in their place. But I loved the Santa Ana's so much I bought the SA 84's because I wanted something narrower as a front side ski. All that aside, I thought the 93's were great in pretty much everything and loads of fun. The Sheeva 9's are great in everything, too. And also fun.

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That all sounds good. I was so tired at the time I demoed the SAs that I’m sort of disregarding the experience. Considering that, they still felt pretty good.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have the 2019 Sheeva 9's and they definitely don't ski long. If anything, short if you look at the rocker and the actual contact edge point. I love mine (I"m 5'1 and have the 157's) and just convinced a friend to buy them as she has the 2020 Black Pearls and wants a more playful ski!
I demoed both the SA 93's (161) and the Sheeva 9's the same year and loved both of them. The Sheevas came up on sale so purchased them! I think a diva here bought a spare pair. I told my friend if she doesn't like her new Sheevas that I would buy them from her (she bought 2022 from Powder 7).

MissySki

Angel Diva
@linum I have the 164 Sheeva 9 and I’m 5’4” 125lbs, they do not ski long to me at all. If anything I’m say a little short with the rocker. Next season they are changing the Sheeva 9 and that sounds like it will get even more rocker, so be aware of that.

I used to ski the original Black Pearl 88 with the bull in a 166 and those definitely ski longer than the Sheeva 9 to me in general. I’ll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Sheeva 9 versus the original Black Pearl! I have always felt like the Sheeva 9 is the real evolution of the Black Pearl bulls versus what the newer Black Pearl 88s turned into! I think it’s the perfect next ski for you if you still like that sort of feel.

I ski in Maine mostly and also tend more to playing on the sides of trails, bumps, and trees. The Sheevas can do it all, and will handle ice better than the original Bulls as well. I’ve also brought them West numerous times and they do great in powder too.

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got the Sheevas in 172!!! Now I can’t wait for next winter.:yahoo:

Your great reviews and especially @MissySki’s comment saying they’re the real revolution of the original BP’s convinced me. This is just what I was imagining from what I’ve been reading. Thanks for all the responses, I’ll be back with my review next season.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations @linum !

I have always felt like the Sheeva 9 is the real evolution of the Black Pearl bulls versus what the newer Black Pearl 88s turned into! I think it’s the perfect next ski for you if you still like that sort of feel.

So interesting, thanks for this input, @MissySki . I have the original purple bulls but haven't skied them in a while. I'd want to get the bindings adjusted for my newer boots, and I think a shop would consider them to be too old to work on.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Congratulations @linum !

So interesting, thanks for this input, @MissySki . I have the original purple bulls but haven't skied them in a while. I'd want to get the bindings adjusted for my newer boots, and I think a shop would consider them to be too old to work on.
I still have my Bulls as "rock skis", but I actually didn't ski them this season. I had the bindings adjusted when I got new boots a couple of years ago. I much prefer the Sheeva 9 to the Bulls nowadays, but once in awhile it's still fun to get on them. They are so darn pretty when they sparkle in the sun, gives me joy to look down at them on lift rides! :smile:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my biggest regrets is selling on my old BP's :cry: In saying that my Sheeva 9's are the 3rd love of my life .... behind hubby and son, but only just :laughter:
But sheesh I wish I had kept the old BP's !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly