• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Phoenix R14

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I demoed the Blizzard Phoenix R14 Pro 165 in Dec. Couldn't get off them fast enough - not my taste in skis at all. My Blizzard Viva 810ti 167 (81mm) are stiff, but the Phoenix made those look pliable. I demoed the 165, but given the size run (they make a 170 and 177?!) I likely should have been on the 170. The longest Viva 810ti was the 167 when I bought...I can't imagine going longer on the Phoenix would change my reaction for the better, lol.

I will stick with my version of a fun "skinny" ski - Stockli Stormrider Motion 85. When I have to, I pull out the Vivas.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Update for anyone interested:

As I mentioned previously, I ended up getting the Atomic Redster X9 WB (the "unisex" version of the Cloud) on sale over the summer. I FINALLY got to take them out on snow. :yahoo: I skied in PA and the conditions here currently are limited terrain with warm slushy springtime conditions as it's been in the 40s-50s and raining, which are not the conditions I would normally choose to take out a stiff skinny ski but I've been dying to try them out. I have to say, I had a blast on them!!!! They may be my new favorite bump ski (who would have thought?!?). I obviously wouldn't want to take them out on a powder day but for bumps and groomers I am in love! I can't wait to try them out on a classic icy east coast day. This was my first time skiing on a full camber ski and as expected the edge hold is phenomenal, they turn on a dime, and are incredibly damp/smooth which is incredibly confidence inspiring. If you do get in the backseat they definitely do let you know but I still found them to be pretty easy to ski overall considering it's a dumbed-down race ski (for reference I would consider myself an advanced intermediate skier).
Hello, @kmb5662! I know this post is from several months ago, but I have to ask how you liked your Redster X9 WBs this winter. I noticed there was a great deal of interest about these skis on the Skiessentials site, and that made me want to know more. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you were not interested in the Atomic Clouds? Do you know what any differences are supposed to be between the X9s and, say, Cloud 12?

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello, @kmb5662! I know this post is from several months ago, but I have to ask how you liked your Redster X9 WBs this winter. I noticed there was a great deal of interest about these skis on the Skiessentials site, and that made me want to know more. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you were not interested in the Atomic Clouds? Do you know what any differences are supposed to be between the X9s and, say, Cloud 12?
I love them! Phenomenal on firm conditions/groomers and love to go go go. You have to stay balanced on these- can't get lazy and "relax." They're pretty stiff and after skiing several hours on them my legs definitely feel a little weary but I have a big smile on my face. :becky: It's easy to make super quick slalom-esque turns on them as well as wider GS turns.

I also looked at the Clouds and the sales guy told me they have the same construction. I think the Cloud 14 WB is the exact same as the X9 WB. The Cloud 12 I believe is a touch more forgiving and I don't think the 12 comes in the wide body version? Glancing at the Atomic website the X9/Cloud 14 has a different sidewall construction and a denser wood core compared to the Cloud 12.

My main reasoning for going for the X9 WB was I was able to get an older 2020 model on sale for much cheaper and as an added bonus I personally like the grey and lime green combo more so than the black.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I love them! Phenomenal on firm conditions/groomers and love to go go go. You have to stay balanced on these- can't get lazy and "relax." They're pretty stiff and after skiing several hours on them my legs definitely feel a little weary but I have a big smile on my face. :becky: It's easy to make super quick slalom-esque turns on them as well as wider GS turns.

I also looked at the Clouds and the sales guy told me they have the same construction. I think the Cloud 14 WB is the exact same as the X9 WB. The Cloud 12 I believe is a touch more forgiving and I don't think the 12 comes in the wide body version? Glancing at the Atomic website the X9/Cloud 14 has a different sidewall construction and a denser wood core compared to the Cloud 12.

My main reasoning for going for the X9 WB was I was able to get an older 2020 model on sale for much cheaper and as an added bonus I personally like the grey and lime green combo more so than the black.
They sound fantastic! Thanks so much for letting me know. Hoping to possibly snag in the off-season if not demo. So glad you love them so much!

Jilly

Staff member
The X9 and the top Cloud, should be close to the same ski. Graphics may be different. The S9 would be more of a slalom race ski.

Actually I find the X Redster's and the Salomon rental skis look to close to each other. I know on the Redster the silver patches are something totally different than what you see on the rental Salomon, but really Amer...not good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna