• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Blizzard or Santa Ana’s?

Flisan123

Diva in Training
Starting of with saying that I’m really glad to have found this forum and seeing that so many people have gotten their questions answered, I have a question of my own. I have decided to buy a new pair of skis since I’ve outgrown my junior twintips. I have been looking at all-mountain/freeride skis and I’m choosing between Nordica’s Santa Ana’s 88 and 93 and blizzard Sheeva 9 and 10. I’m an intermediate to advanced skier and ski both on and off-piste though I mostly ski on-piste. I’m 5’0 and weight about 102 lbs so I’m quite small. Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to demoing, that would obviously been the easiest way to know which ski to pick...:(

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to the Forum!! I'm guessing you ski in the West? Daily drivers over 90 in the East aren't as popular as out west..

You've picked some nice skis so choosing is a tough one.. both are nice. I'm a bigger than you so I overpowered the Santa Anas and I'm not a big fan of volkl (I know blasphemy!)
I do love Blizzard skis, I like fun, turny skis, I'd rather ski the ski than be along for the ride. I loved the Sheeva 9 it seemed really schmeary (if that's a word) and had a huge sweet spot, I found them really easy to ski and they were 'compliant' they did whatever I asked them it to do.

I'm sure some other Divas will chime in. @MissySki and @lisamamot LOVE their Sheevas

Welcome again!

Flisan123

Diva in Training
Welcome to the Forum!! I'm guessing you ski in the West? Daily drivers over 90 in the East aren't as popular as out west..

You've picked some nice skis so choosing is a tough one.. both are nice. I'm a bigger than you so I overpowered the Santa Anas and I'm not a big fan of volkl (I know blasphemy!)
I do love Blizzard skis, I like fun, turny skis, I'd rather ski the ski than be along for the ride. I loved the Sheeva 9 it seemed really schmeary (if that's a word) and had a huge sweet spot, I found them really easy to ski and they were 'compliant' they did whatever I asked them it to do.

I'm sure some other Divas will chime in. @MissySki and @lisamamot LOVE their Sheevas

Welcome again!

Thank you! I’m actually from Sweden and ski in Åre so the snow conditions varies quite a lot there. Sometimes it’s really icy in the slopes and sometimes it’s like skiing in slush and other times there is super nice powder snow to ski in off-piste. That’s why I need a ski that can handle a variety of snow conditions.

The blizzard seems like a fun ski and maybe a bit easier to ski than the Santa Ana’s. Is it possible to ski backwards on the two skis? By the look of the Sheevas, they appear to have more of a twintip profile than the Santa Ana’s that have a flatter tail.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! I’m actually from Sweden and ski in Åre so the snow conditions varies quite a lot there. Sometimes it’s really icy in the slopes and sometimes it’s like skiing in slush and other times there is super nice powder snow to ski in off-piste. That’s why I need a ski that can handle a variety of snow conditions.

The blizzard seems like a fun ski and maybe a bit easier to ski than the Santa Ana’s. Is it possible to ski backwards on the two skis? By the look of the Sheevas, they appear to have more of a twintip profile than the Santa Ana’s that have a flatter tail.

I've owned all of the skis you mention, with the exception of the Santa Ana 93, which I have demoed. The answer to your bolded question is YES. The Blizzard are easier to ski AND have much more of a twin tip profile, as you mentioned. I currently ski a Santa Ana 88, and I love it, but I'm not used to a free ride twin tip ski like you are. I think you'd be very happy on the Sheeva 9. A wider ski at your size is a bit of overkill, in my opinion.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have not been on the Santa Ana 88 yet, but have demoed the new Santa Ana 93 a couple of times. With the metal in it, it may be a bit much ski for you @Flisan123. I love my Sheeva 9s in everything from firm groomers to a handful of inches of new snow; it has a bit of an upturned tail so if switch it important, it does the trick. I demoed the Sheeva 10 when I was at Big Sky and loved it as well. If conditions are bullet proof here in New England, I still pull out my Blizzard Viva 810 ti (81mm underfoot). I am tall but not heavy for my height (5'9"/140ish) and ski the Sheeva 9 and 10 in a 172.

Are you sure you want something in the waist width you are suggesting? Perhaps @tinymoose could chime in here as I know she is very similar in size to you @Flisan123 and she skis the Volkl Yumi, which is one you should consider. The Nordica Astral 84 is tons of fun too and should work for someone with your specs, but does have a flat tail.

Flisan123

Diva in Training
I have not been on the Santa Ana 88 yet, but have demoed the new Santa Ana 93 a couple of times. With the metal in it, it may be a bit much ski for you @Flisan123. I love my Sheeva 9s in everything from firm groomers to a handful of inches of new snow; it has a bit of an upturned tail so if switch it important, it does the trick. I demoed the Sheeva 10 when I was at Big Sky and loved it as well. If conditions are bullet proof here in New England, I still pull out my Blizzard Viva 810 ti (81mm underfoot). I am tall but not heavy for my height (5'9"/140ish) and ski the Sheeva 9 and 10 in a 172.

Are you sure you want something in the waist width you are suggesting? Perhaps @tinymoose could chime in here as I know she is very similar in size to you @Flisan123 and she skis the Volkl Yumi, which is one you should consider. The Nordica Astral 84 is tons of fun too and should work for someone with your specs, but does have a flat tail.

I thought of buying the Yumi at first but it had a quite flat tail and switching would be a little tricky on those so I decided to look for something else and found the blizzards that seemed like more of the ski I was looking for. Then I talked to a family friend who suggested Nordica’s skis and I began to look at what skis they had and found the Santa Ana collection that also looked like a great ski...and now here I am haha in the middle of the ski-jungle.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought of buying the Yumi at first but it had a quite flat tail and switching would be a little tricky on those so I decided to look for something else and found the blizzards that seemed like more of the ski I was looking for. Then I talked to a family friend who suggested Nordica’s skis and I began to look at what skis they had and found the Santa Ana collection that also looked like a great ski...and now here I am haha in the middle of the ski-jungle.

If you wanna ride switch, I'd just got for another twin tip, be it a junior or shorter women's ski. The Yumis have a bit of tail rocker, but it's pretty minimal. I've never been good at 360s or skiing backwards but only time it's ever been easier for me was on my Line twin tips. Obviously, that's a testament to my ability or lack thereof.

newboots

Angel Diva
Welcome, @Flisan123 ! So happy to have you join us. I can’t think of another ski diva from Sweden, but we do have a pretty good international presence.

I’m not much help with ski choices (not enough experience) but I wanted to say hello.
:ski::welcome::ski:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
If looking to ski switch, Armada has some nice women's skis in different widths and for different conditions.

Flisan123

Diva in Training
If you wanna ride switch, I'd just got for another twin tip, be it a junior or shorter women's ski. The Yumis have a bit of tail rocker, but it's pretty minimal. I've never been good at 360s or skiing backwards but only time it's ever been easier for me was on my Line twin tips. Obviously, that's a testament to my ability or lack thereof.

Flisan123

Diva in Training
So by the looks of it now, the Sheevas and the Santa Ana 88 are the current ones that I consider to buy. If to say I would go for the Sheevas, which one should I pick (10 or 9) and should I buy them longer than myself? :ski2:

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
So by the looks of it now, the Sheevas and the Santa Ana 88 are the current ones that I consider to buy. If to say I would go for the Sheevas, which one should I pick (10 or 9) and should I buy them longer than myself? :ski2:

I loved the sheeva 10 and 11 and hated the Santa Ana 93s...I’m biased but good pick :smile:

If you’re up against ice often I would probably go for the 9s. I found the 10s very jittery in the icy stuff and I found myself wanting a narrower/easier ski to put on edge.

For your height, you could consider the sheeva 9s in 148, 157, and (maybe!) 164. They have quite a bit of rocker and if the 9s are like the 10s they are known to ski short. So I’d pick the 157s for you, if not longer. Depends on what you are looking for!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I have the Rustler 10 (men's version of the Sheeva). I've not tried the 9 in either the Sheeva or the Rustler but I agree with @angelaskis and would be inclined to go with the 9 if you're mostly skiing on piste. The 10 is a hoot and I find it easy to get up on edge, but to me it feels noticeably fatter than the Volkl 90eights (98 under foot), my 'skinny' skis. I'm a fair bit taller and heavier than you so wondering if you might find the 10 a bit wide as a daily driver on groomers. But do try to demo if you can!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Sheeva 9 - you don’t have the weight to need the 10. You are 152.4 cm; although you may be able to pull off the 157 I expect you would be more comfortable on the 148. You are not going to overpower it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well I'm around your size 5'1 and 102 and have skied the Sheeva 10 in a 156 (157?) in Tahoe and thought it really handled well in the heavy untracked powder. Seemed fine on groomers as well but wanted to demo it in fresh snow (untracked and tracked)... It is 102 underfoot and seemed fine in the size I demoed.
But I really, really want to try the Sheeva 9... I have heard lots of rocker so in that case I would try the 157.....It is narrower (92 underfoot?) so can be skied shorter but I don't think I would.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I ski the Sheeva 9 as a daily driver in the East, it’s such a fun versatile ski! I’m 5’4” ~130 lbs and ski the 164. Feels perfect, I would not want the longer length. Though I like to ski trees and bumps often, so I especially wouldn’t want extra length there. Mid 160s is my usual “happy” length in a ski.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Demoed the Sheeva 9 in a 157at Heavenly today in firm snow that softened up in the warm afternoon! Didn't even go out before 11 as snow rock hard with overnight freezing and temps in the high 40's. It hasn't snowed in a month but plenty of snow with minimal rocks showing. Skied groomers, some bumps, some rock hard trees.. Love that ski . It def skis short as I kept looking to see if it was really a 157. Love that short turning radius and holds well on western ice! Similar feel to the Santa Ana 93. Now I know I don't want anything narrower so need to find one of these skis.
@MissySki @lisamamot @NewEnglandSkier i may join your club!!!! It would be perfect when conditions don't warrant the BC Camox Birdie!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Demoed the Sheeva 9 in a 157at Heavenly today in firm snow that softened up in the warm afternoon! Didn't even go out before 11 as snow rock hard with overnight freezing and temps in the high 40's. It hasn't snowed in a month but plenty of snow with minimal rocks showing. Skied groomers, some bumps, some rock hard trees.. Love that ski . It def skis short as I kept looking to see if it was really a 157. Love that short turning radius and holds well on western ice! Similar feel to the Santa Ana 93. Now I know I don't want anything narrower so need to find one of these skis.
@MissySki @lisamamot @NewEnglandSkier i may join your club!!!! It would be perfect when conditions don't warrant the BC Camox Birdie!

Woohoo, I’m so glad you finally got on them and that your experience was such a good one! :yahoo:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly