• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl and Blizzard Sheeva

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So last weekend I finally got the chance to demo both the new BP and the Sheeva. I was so busy last week with the holidays approaching, I have not had a chance to leave my reviews. I will give you my thoughts, although I don't demo a lot - I needed new skis since I not only wrecked my arm last year, I also wrecked my skis :-(
Demoed both at Bretton Woods, and conditions were perfect - after the storm Fri/Sat, we skied Sun and Monday (12/18 & 19)

Black Pearl 165 - I had the older BP version, maybe 5+ years old - the turquois/purple ones, and I loved them. These new ones did feel much heavier than the ones I had. But wow, they drove like a Ferrari on the groomers - fast, smooth and wanted to fly! So fun! However, when I took them into some of the ungroomed snow, and into the one glade open (Glade West), I felt they were too heavy, they seemed to sink into the soft snow and it took a lot of effort to make the turns through the deeper snow. (Could truly be the skier and not the ski, but I felt like I was working hard!)

Blizzard Sheeva 157 - I wanted to try them in the next size up, but it was not available. They were a lot of fun, maybe not as fast on the groomers (that might not be a bad thing for me lol) but they felt stable and definitely fun. But where I really loved them was taking them into the ungroomed snow and the glade - so quick and easy, fun to turn! Even my husband remarked that it seemed I was skiing better on them, making quicker, short, connected turns through the moguls and glade, even on tired legs from skiing all day the previous day.

So in the end, I ended up purchasing the Sheevas! We do spend more of our time now on ungroomed and glade trails when we can, so as much as I loved the BPs on the groomers, I chose the Sheevas. With Christmas this weekend, I haven't even been able to take them out yet - can't wait! I only wish I had gotten to try them out in the typical Eastern "hardpack" (ice) conditions, but it looks like I will get to try that this weekend after that rainstorm and refreeze last Friday.

And got new boots as well, since my boots were so old and have definitely seen better days - bought Salomon S/Pro Alpha 90 - Merry Christmas to me :-) lol

For fun, here is a picture of my cat, also named Shiva (the Diva) 20220115_192207.jpg

shadoj

Angel Diva
Congrats! Glad your recovery has sped along and you're back in the glades. May the new skis & boots continue to make you smile :smile:

Did you go with the 157's you demoed or one size up?

Also, your kitty is adorable, and now you get to make silly comments to her about waxing & deburring the Shivas, etc. :becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Woohoo, welcome to the Sheeva club! Did you size up with your purchased pair? The speed limit you found on the 157 was probably a product of the length as they do ski short in general already.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I stuck with the 157s. I did get all in my head about it afterwards and stressed out about it a bunch, but those are what I took out and I liked so I stayed with it. After getting severely injured last year, I don't need to be flying down the mountain at 50 mph anymore lol. And my husband has been skiing on skis which could be considered short for him for years - and loves them. So hopefully it works out!

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Haha, I could have written this same post!! I’m going through the size head game too with this ski right now! I even used to have the same black pearls (shorter length though), but I sold them as I found they weren’t floaty enough in soft stuff or crud to be my daily driver. They were a great ski for me after moving up from beginner skis though.

Anyways, I just took out the Sheeva 9 in a 157 and loved them! Conditions were low visibility, groomed with lots of ice and crud all over and they gave me so much confidence. I found them good in the icey stuff, but I’ve been riding a worn out pair of Salamon Lux 92s (what these are to replace) or icelantic Maiden 101s, so it may just be what I have to compare them to. Then again, I took out a Head Kore 93 just before the Sheevas and I liked those too, but once on the Sheevas I went “woohoo I love these!” They were just…easier and more fun. I took them down an ungroomed black run which was icey crust and deep drifts and although I was slow, they did what I wanted them to do and I felt so safe on them.

Sadly, I couldn’t try them in the next size up as conditions worsened and it wasn’t safe to go back out. So I bought the 157’s, and have been all in my head the past two days that I made a mistake and should have waited to try larger, but I got them for $200 off on boxing day so pulled the trigger fast.

I’m 5’3” 122lbs, intermediate to advanced, and a cautious skier, not a hard charger. I mostly follow my four crazy kids around Lake Louise on blues and blacks and think these skis will be great for that. I don’t love moguls or tree runs, but I’ll follow the kids through them if have to! I was going to take out the Santa Ana 93 to compare, but again conditions were so bad I couldn’t. Sucks I paid to rent high performance skis for the day and only got to take out two types, but the Sheevas made me smile so hopefully I’ve made the right choice! Hope you enjoy yours too!!!

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, I could have written this same post!! I’m going through the size head game too with this ski right now! I even used to have the same black pearls (shorter length though), but I sold them as I found they weren’t floaty enough in soft stuff or crud to be my daily driver. They were a great ski for me after moving up from beginner skis though.

Anyways, I just took out the Sheeva 9 in a 157 and loved them! Conditions were low visibility, groomed with lots of ice and crud all over and they gave me so much confidence. I found them good in the icey stuff, but I’ve been riding a worn out pair of Salamon Lux 92s (what these are to replace) or icelantic Maiden 101s, so it may just be what I have to compare them to. Then again, I took out a Head Kore 93 just before the Sheevas and I liked those too, but once on the Sheevas I went “woohoo I love these!” They were just…easier and more fun. I took them down an ungroomed black run which was icey crust and deep drifts and although I was slow, they did what I wanted them to do and I felt so safe on them.

Sadly, I couldn’t try them in the next size up as conditions worsened and it wasn’t safe to go back out. So I bought the 157’s, and have been all in my head the past two days that I made a mistake and should have waited to try larger, but I got them for $200 off on boxing day so pulled the trigger fast.

I’m 5’3” 122lbs, intermediate to advanced, and a cautious skier, not a hard charger. I mostly follow my four crazy kids around Lake Louise on blues and blacks and think these skis will be great for that. I don’t love moguls or tree runs, but I’ll follow the kids through them if have to! I was going to take out the Santa Ana 93 to compare, but again conditions were so bad I couldn’t. Sucks I paid to rent high performance skis for the day and only got to take out two types, but the Sheevas made me smile so hopefully I’ve made the right choice! Hope you enjoy yours too!!!
Oh wow - thanks for posting this, sounds like we have been stressing about the same things lol. I am encouraged to hear you liked them in the ice and crud, because the conditions were perfect when I demoed, so I've been worrying about that too! My husband put it into perspective as I stressed about it - the difference is only about 2 inches! I'm a little taller, and heavier than you, also an intermediate to advanced skier, and I have been exploring the trees and bumps a bit more the last few years - the Sheevas made the tight turns seem effortless!

I bought them 12/19 - and with the holidays and everything else going on I have not even had a another chance to take them out. I can't wait :-)

Hope you enjoy yours too!

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I did a thing last weekend ..........I bought the Black Pearls too!

I loved them on the groomers last year when I demoed, but felt they were heavy in the loose snow and powder, and took more effort than I wanted. But I might have also been somewhat weak, as I was still coming off a severe injury at the end of 2022. Since we do venture into the glades or ungroomed snow more now, I went with the Sheevas at the time. But on the East Coast "firm" days, I missed the edge and speed of the Pearls, especially as I gained confidence and strength skiing again. So now I have both! Sheevas for the days we get some new snow, ungroomed and glades, and Black Pearls for the East Coast hardpack (icy!) days! (We seemed to have a lot of those days last year lol)

Now is it too early to wish for snow and winter?

:-)

Attachments

• 353451633_271783242096015_5119052108303628755_n.jpg
    353451633_271783242096015_5119052108303628755_n.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 8

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I did a thing last weekend ..........I bought the Black Pearls too!

I loved them on the groomers last year when I demoed, but felt they were heavy in the loose snow and powder, and took more effort than I wanted. But I might have also been somewhat weak, as I was still coming off a severe injury at the end of 2022. Since we do venture into the glades or ungroomed snow more now, I went with the Sheevas at the time. But on the East Coast "firm" days, I missed the edge and speed of the Pearls, especially as I gained confidence and strength skiing again. So now I have both! Sheevas for the days we get some new snow, ungroomed and glades, and Black Pearls for the East Coast hardpack (icy!) days! (We seemed to have a lot of those days last year lol)

Now is it too early to wish for snow and winter?

:-)
Win win.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly