• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88's vs. Renoun Earhart 88's

killajewel

Diva in Training
Hey ladies!

I'm in the market for a new pair of skis and could really use some advice. First, a quick background:

I'm 5'1" 125 lbs (give or take), in great shape and I consider myself a solid, intermediate skier. I've been skiing since I was 2 (I'm 40 now) but stopped about 25 years ago because I didn't love the icy conditions here in the north east (Quebec Laurentians). Now just bought a place in the Townships and will be spending most of our time at Sutton/Bromont/Orford etc...I don't expect to do very much off-piste, but I'm pretty confident nonetheless and down to try it (and maybe love it). My step-dad actually owns a pair of the Renoun Atlases and he swears by the polymer technology, and with the 6 month money back guarantee I'm really curious to try the Earharts out. On the other hand, the shop where I'm currently getting fitted for boots has highly recommended the BP 88's as a comparison. They touted them as "well-known ripper on the groomers, ideal for our east coast ice pack, no metal but tortionaly stiff to be stable and very damp". They don't sell Renoun so there is some bias, but they offered to let me try a demo. I suppose I could order the Earharts and if I end up liking the BP's better, just return them. I did also read Ski Diva's review of the Earharts which was really helpful, but just wondering if anyone has any other advice when comparing these two?

Thanks so much!
Julie

MissySki

Angel Diva
Can you demo the BP 88? Then you’d know for sure if you even want them as a contender. Perhaps you love them, or perhaps you don’t care for them at all. I’d recommend taking a day to demo as many skis as you can, if that’s a possibility, to get a feel for what you like because ski preference is really subjective.

@ski diva has the Renouns, and I assume has demoed the Black Pearl 88 perhaps, so she might be able to provide some insight! I’ve never tried a Renoun, but people who own them seem to like them.

Welcome and goodluck on your ski search!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world!! First have you seen the price on the Renoun's? They are available only thru their website. Then add exchange and duty fees!!! Talk about a doctor/lawyer ski!!

I myself have not been on the 88's since they came out. But personally I don't like that wide of ski here in the east. 75 at the most. But try them if you can.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, @killajewel ! Yes, I have the Renoun Earhart, and it is definitely a fine ski. Light in weight, great in everything, and loads of fun. Renoun makes a terrific ski, so you won't go wrong. As you said, they have a policy where you can try a ski for a few months and get a complete refund, if you're not happy. Which is terrific, especially since they only sell online, so demoing is a problem. You said you saw my review, so 'nuff said.

I disagree with Jilly, though. I don't think 88 is too wide for the east. I ski in Vermont and in addition to the Earharts, I have a pair of Nordica Santa Ana 93's which I use ALL THE TIME in all sorts of conditions and absolutely love them. In fact, you might want to check them out. They're a great ski.

Wish I could help with the Black Pearls. I know they've been completely redesigned, so my input on the ones I tried long ago (and didn't like) no longer applies. I've heard good reports about the redesign, though, so they might be worth checking out, too.

Good luck! The problem is that there are SO MANY great skis out there that it can be tough to choose. As MissySki said, it's a very subjective decision. Keep us posted.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Another petite skier here who had a long hiatus. But I probably wasn't as good a skier as you were as a teenager because I only got to ski a couple seasons in middle school. My home region is the southeast/Mid-Atlantic at small hills highly dependent on 100% snowmaking.

I was barely becoming an advanced skier when I bought the original Black Pearl (bulls), 88 underfoot. Those weren't much fun in the northeast. However, the current BP88 is quite different. I saw a lot of women of a range of ability levels with them when I had reasons to be in the Boston area and took advantage of opportunities to ski in the northeast. So it certainly is appropriate for northeast conditions.

That said, I know @nopoleskier loves her Renoun skis. She has plenty of experience with narrow skis as well.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I ski the BP88s in the northeast and love them. That said, i would order the Renouns in a heartbeat because everyone on this site raves about them. So, basically, I’m no help in this discussion at all. But I’m always happy to be an enabler. :smile:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Earharts too. I am 5'1 and 92 lbs. Never tried the more recent incarnations of the Black Pearl. My other Renoun ski is the Z-77 which became the Atlas 80.

When I was hunting for a ski in that 88 range my desire was to try the Elan Ripstick 88. The closest ski shop for me is two hours south, and the mountain two hours north; so demoing is tricky when you have to return the skis. The Nordica Santa Ana is also a great consideration for you as SkiDiva mentioned. But, you are inquiring about the Earharts so I will share my thoughts.

To be honest, when I first tried them in the 149 I was not loving them. They just seemed boring.
All the attributes of the Renoun ski were definitely there ( read SkiDiva's review of both the Z and the Earhart ) but I was wondering if maybe they were too short. The 149 Renoun is considerably shorter than My 149 Black Crows. I did get on the 156 Earhart for a couple of times and found them to be a bit better but not enough better to keep, so I stuck with the 149. But why?

Renoun makes a terrific ski. And the Earhart is the lightest ski I have ever held in my hand. Light has not always been the best characteristic for me due to my weight. Some of the super light skis may be easy to maneuver , but they can also buck you off when you hit the slightest little bump. Not that I had fallen, but the sensations of every change in the snow texture or landscape made me uncomfortable. Renoun technology removes those issues for me. There is confidence gained knowing what to expect. A very damp, buttery smooth, and seamless ride. The 149 I kept to use in moguls and chop-slop. It's a great groomer ski too, but I prefer a longer ski and find the Z-77 or my old Nordica Belles the perfect choice there. The Z-77 is a 157 so for me, a bit long but ever so speedy.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! I have Renoun Z-90s they have been my 1 ski quiver- I ski the east and I take them out west, I have old knees w/torn mcl's and Renouns are magic to me. No pain at all- I don't find them difficult to put on edge. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. I haven't been on the Earharts or Atlas. I was going to buy the Z-77's but they are always sold out.

I ended getting Liberty 76 W's they are another well designed ski - all the liberty skis are nice- they are having a close out holy cow... @Mary Tee $377 for mine! https://libertyskis.com/collections/2020-closeout-skis?page=1

I have been on the Old BPS (i have 2015's) and every new year. I demo'd the 2021's I did not like them, they felt stiff and planky compared to the prior models.

Santa Ana's are nice skis- I'm much heavier than you and perhaps why I thought I over skied them.
So many nice skis out there!

killajewel

Diva in Training
Thanks so much for all of your replies!! @MissySki I will definitely demo the BPs. @Jilly I heard there's a distributor in Trois Rivieres so there's no duty, but I'll double check that in any event. @Tvan so maybe I should just get both? ;) @nopoleskier thanks for the link...I will check it out! @ski diva I'll check out those Santa Ana's for sure. @badger Thank you for that advice. I was thinking I might try the 156s, but I'm going to call the company to see what they suggest for my height/weight/ability. I also like the idea of the Atlas 80s. Am I right that the narrower the ski, the better of a turning edge you get on the groomers? The shortest they come is 163. Wondering if that might feel a little long as a 5'1-er?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@killajewel . I think you'd be better off on the 156. And yes, the a narrower ski will get on edge more easily. There a petite skiers on this forum that sometimes use a long ski, but 163 seems questionable. But you have the ski background to justify the consideration.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The shortest they come is 163. Wondering if that might feel a little long as a 5'1-er?
Yep, 163 is probably too long at that width. I'm 5'0, 110 lbs, older advanced after several years of regular lessons at big mountains. I rarely demo skis under 90mm longer than 160cm, usually mid-150s if available.

The range of lengths of my skis bought over the last few years is from 149 to 159. The only skis I've liked at mid-160s were powder skis that were over 100 underfoot. I bought the 149cm Absolut Joys after liking AJs at 154cm for a couple of short demo runs. That much easier to turn. Also lighter to carry from the parking lot. I mostly use them at small hills in the southeast or mid-Atlantic.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski the BP88s in the northeast and love them. That said, i would order the Renouns in a heartbeat because everyone on this site raves about them. So, basically, I’m no help in this discussion at all. But I’m always happy to be an enabler. :smile:

I am much the same way! Haven't skied the Renouns, have heard great things about them and would be very interested to try them, have the (2020) BP88 and find them great... and am definitely a serial enabler of ski purchases!! So I fully endorse whichever ski OP goes for :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'2" and use a 163 in my skinny skis (68mm underfoot), but I'm heavy. I feel like my weight kills the camber, which makes skiing less fun. I wouldn't use them in slushy or deep snow.

rider

Diva in Training
I'm 5'3" and about 115 on a good day/dressed. Mid 60's, ski primarily Killington 25 - 50 days, got into this in late 50's. Have advanced to a solid intermediate, have the 2015 BP Blizzard 159cm model and have skied all conditions. This ski is amazing as far as a confidence builder and my favorite word, forgiving. Going to demo the new model BP. A lot of people have talked to me about Volkl Kenja as a option for better carving. You will never go wrong with BP for ALL Mountain, any condition within your ability. Good luck, have fun with the selection.

killajewel

Diva in Training
I'm 5'3" and about 115 on a good day/dressed. Mid 60's, ski primarily Killington 25 - 50 days, got into this in late 50's. Have advanced to a solid intermediate, have the 2015 BP Blizzard 159cm model and have skied all conditions. This ski is amazing as far as a confidence builder and my favorite word, forgiving. Going to demo the new model BP. A lot of people have talked to me about Volkl Kenja as a option for better carving. You will never go wrong with BP for ALL Mountain, any condition within your ability. Good luck, have fun with the selection.
Awesome thanks @rider !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna