• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl 2018 vs Blizzard Black Pearl 2020

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you're truly on the beginner side of intermediate, and aren't exploring powder much yet, then I'd go even narrower with a Nordica Astral 84, Head Total Joy, Blizzard Black Pearl 82, Rossignol Experience 84W. Something along those lines that is a bit narrower but certainly a major step up from a rental ski that will give you confidence and handle some off-piste stuff, too. Most of those I mentioned above can be found fairly inexpensively. I know Ski Essentials had the Astra 84 for around $200, but I think they were sold out of most lengths.

I can highly recommend that as well if you don’t ski much powder. The Astral 84 is a super fun ski, very forgiving so would be great to improve on. They are great on groomers and fun in bumps too. I bought a pair for around $200 last season (without bindings) to play on firmer days and work on bumps and I’m an advanced skier. Just don’t skimp on the sizing because they are a softer ski.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, a longer ski will be more stable than a short ski. Not saying go super-long for your height, just don't skimp as @MissySki says. Example, I'm 5'2" and a 159cm BP is fine for me. I would not go shorter.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am 5'4" 145lbs and an intermediate (but older) skier. I love my BP 82s in 157. I ski in the East, and they are good on hardpack and ice. I've never skied them on powder!

I don't really have anything to compare them to, other than my old Quattros, so I can't offer strengths/weaknesses.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I ski in CO, Utah and NM. Some powder days but there was ice and crud last time we went
Any thought on the BP 82? I'm thinking that might be a good option too
For context, when I started skiing more out west about 10 years ago, I got "all-mountain" skis that were 75 underfoot. I was a confident older intermediate (learned to ski as a teen) who moved into low advanced after starting to take lessons. Took a few years before there was any reason to consider another pair of skis.

What I have now as my all-mountain skis for trips out west are 85 underfoot. They cover 90% of the days I ski at big mountains. Catching a powder storm is a rare bonus. I'm perfectly happy to rent powder skis when I get lucky. It's a small additional cost considering the travel expenses and lift tickets/passes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes, a longer ski will be more stable than a short ski. Not saying go super-long for your height, just don't skimp as @MissySki says. Example, I'm 5'2" and a 159cm BP is fine for me. I would not go shorter.

Yes, exactly! I grabbed them in my usual preferred length which is mid 160s. The Astral 84 comes in a 165 and that feels like the perfect length on them for me. I’m 5’4” ~125lbs.

blugrace

Certified Ski Diva
I spoke too soon! I got an email this morning to say that they are out of stock - so the search continues. What are your thought on a Sheeva 9s? I'm a little afraid they'll be too much ski for me? I'm happy on all blues and easy blacks, but I'm cautious on them. Thanks!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sheeva 9s are a step wider again from the range you have been looking at and may be a big jump if you've been learning on narrower hire skis. Have you thought about some of the other suggestions you've been given in the mid-80s range, and considering ex demos for a better price if you're looking for a good deal? Powder 7 has the Experience 84s with demo bindings on sale in the 168cm length with only 15 days' use.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna