• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black pearls 88 versus k2 mindbender 88ti

dcgirlinmadbury

Diva in Training
I'm an advanced/expert skier who loves to play on the mountain! Love making lots of turns and ski everything from steep, fast, bumps, woods, back country, etc. I've had Black pearls 88 for 8 years and blew my edge in the woods at Jay peak Vt last week (sad day). Looking at k2 mindbender 88ti reviews compared to BPs. Thanks

marzNC

Angel Diva
I took a couple of short runs on the Mindbender 88 (2020). Enjoyed them but a bit hard for a good comparison to the BP. It was a demo day at my home hill, Massanutten, in northern VA. Not exactly a lot of soft snow around. I'm an older advanced skier.

I own the original BP (purple bull), 88 underfoot. Bought used in 2012 from a Diva after I had a chance to demo them. Still use them for rock skis or skiing when temps are over 40 degrees.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okaaaaay , I have the newer BP 88 version (21/22) and it ski's way different to the previous model, a lot stiffer! The even newer model (2023) that we in NZ will be receiving in a month or so has been re tweaked in the tip and tails to make it a tiny bit friendlier. I believe the new 2023 Mindbenders have been given an upgrade as well, my friend who owns a ski shop demo'd them at the end of our season last year and loved them, so much so that after not stocking K2 for a few seasons they have jumped back on board. She suggested them to me as an alternative to my current BP's which as many will know I dont love. I have my heart set on the 2023 Sheeva 9's (which are on a boat as I type!!) but am still a teeeny bit tempted with the Mindbenders. Good luck with your decision x

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I demoed Black Pearl twice in different seasons. I could not wait to get off them after 30 ft. They felt like cardbord....

Reactions: AJM

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really liked the 2022 Mindbenders, but my preference is for stiffer skis like the Kenja, Santa Ana etc - they're stiffer than the older BP for sure.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I really liked the 2022 Mindbenders, but my preference is for stiffer skis like the Kenja, Santa Ana etc - they're stiffer than the older BP for sure.
I am on my third Kenja. Very still and very stable. The opposite of BP. Just purchased a pair of Atomic Redster X9i(waist 75)another stiff skis.

Last edited:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am on my third Kenja. Very still and very stable. The opposite of BP.
I think the new BP is more stiff? I actually didn't demo the new stiff one (that @AJM has) when I had the opportunity because I disliked it so much last time I tried!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I think the new BP is more stiff? I actually didn't demo the new stiff one (that @AJM has) when I had the opportunity because I disliked it so much last time I tried!
Might be, but no where close to Kenja which are men's skis with femine design. I tend to stay away from any women's skis because they are too soft.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup the 2022 model which is the same as the 2021 model is in my mind a very different ski from my original 2019 model, its stiffer and much less forgiving. I see they've adjusted them again for 2023 .... dont know why they mucked around with them in the first place. If you disliked the 2019 model you may just like the 21/22 version ????

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
There are
I looked at the materials used for the 2022 BP 88. They used "Titanal Binding Reinforcement". As I guessed, they will be no where near "double sheets of titanium" like I prefer. The newer models might be stiffer than older models, but like most women's skis, way too soft for me.

Last edited:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are

I looked at the materials used for the 2022 BP 88. They used "Titanal Binding Reinforcement". As I guessed, they will be no where near "double sheets of titanium" like I prefer. The newer models might be stiffer that older models, but like most women's skis, way too soft for me.
The 88s definitely aren't 2 sheets of metal stiff, however if you like heavy stiff skis you may like the BP 97s. They are much much much stiffer and heavier than the 88s. Completely different skis. I've never skied the Kenja, but the BP 97s are similar to the Volkl Secret/M6 Mantra in terms of stiffness. An even stiffer ski is the Faction Dictator 2.0x.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
The 88s definitely aren't 2 sheets of metal stiff, however if you like heavy stiff skis you may like the BP 97s. They are much much much stiffer and heavier than the 88s. Completely different skis. I've never skied the Kenja, but the BP 97s are similar to the Volkl Secret/M6 Mantra in terms of stiffness. An even stiffer ski is the Faction Dictator 2.0x.
Thanks, but I am going skinier waist pairs from here on. Just ordered Atomic Redster X9i, 75 waist. I do not go to the back country, so not necessary to go that wide. I ski like lots of small and fast turns, slalom. Thanks.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
I took a couple of short runs on the Mindbender 88 (2020). Enjoyed them but a bit hard for a good comparison to the BP. It was a demo day at my home hill, Massanutten, in northern VA. Not exactly a lot of soft snow around. I'm an older advanced skier.

I own the original BP (purple bull), 88 underfoot. Bought used in 2012 from a Diva after I had a chance to demo them. Still use them for rock skis or skiing when temps are over 40 degrees.
I have those BP's - looking to replace them this year, but I hear the new BP's are a lot stiffer. REALLY tempted by the Ripsticks...

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have those BP's - looking to replace them this year, but I hear the new BP's are a lot stiffer. REALLY tempted by the Ripsticks...
I gave the Ripsticks a try a while back. Quite different from the original BP. What I have ended up with and intend to use for a long time is the Stöckli Stormrider 85. The Nela line is the current Stöckli approach for women.

Black Pearls kept changing since 2012. I like the BP88 and BP98 in 2018 but haven't been on the current version.

Good luck with the search for the next fun skis.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New BPs are definitely stiffer and I think most fans of the old version don't like the newest iteration. However, the new (2023) Mindbenders (89Ti) are significantly softer than 2022 and to be honest, only really share a name with the previous version as they feel completely different. I would say they feel less stiff than the newest BP88, but I didn't manage to try the BP88 on an actual mountain this year.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New BPs are definitely stiffer and I think most fans of the old version don't like the newest iteration. However, the new (2023) Mindbenders (89Ti) are significantly softer than 2022 and to be honest, only really share a name with the previous version as they feel completely different. I would say they feel less stiff than the newest BP88, but I didn't manage to try the BP88 on an actual mountain this year.
Ive heard that the Mindbender (89Ti) is going to be changing again next year but Im not sure in what way.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ive heard that the Mindbender (89Ti) is going to be changing again next year but Im not sure in what way.
It's honestly hard to know what they might change - going from the 88Ti to 89Ti may as well have been a different line of skis. My notes say the 88Ti were stiff, reasonably damp and decent in crud, needed driving to turn and wanted you to stay on them; the 89Ti is still stable but not stiff or damp, and is quite energetic with quite a big sweet spot and much easier to turn and more pivoty at the expense of carving ease.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly