• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Pearl 88 or 98?

LCS

Diva in Training
Hi All,

New here and I'm looking for advice. I gather that the Black Pearl will be a "controversial" ski, but here we go.

I live in Southwest Co and mainly do backcountry, for which I have a pair of Black Diamond skis for- 105 underfoot. I love these skis in the right condition, but a handful of times a winter we go to the resort (only during prime resort days usually), and my BD's are just too "chattery" to me on the hard pack that inevitably happens at the resort. The BD's also don't perform awesome during super variable conditions in the backcountry either. Mainly turn radius is loooong on these.

So, I'm looking for a second pair of skis for cruddy backcountry days and a few general resort days. Lots of positive reviews on the BP's, from what I can tell. I'm a pretty intermediate skier, not super fast, pretty cautious due to an injury, and just like to feel stable.

First question- better option than BP? I have a deal on a pair of BP, so price is definitely a consideration. If BP would be good, then 88 or 98 underfoot? I'm leaning towards the 88, as I have a powder ski and I'm looking for something to fill the void my powder ski doesn't fit into, but I'm wondering if I would regret such a small underfoot.

Thanks

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 2cents on width because I haven't skied a BP in years and have no idea if the construction has changed is that 98 is kind of wide for an inbounds ski for hardpack groomers.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my vote is for the 88.. great all mountain ski. fun, lively, turn great, bust thru piles of snow.
the 2018 BP has no more tip chatter (like the prior versions)

I ski the east and go from 71 under foot to 88, 90 or 98 YES the first few turns are definitely 'different' feeling. (faster quicker edge to edge) But easy enough to get used to by a run.
Also the 88/90's are much easier on the knees on hardpacked than the 98's (or your 103)
but you CO gals don't get hard packed like we get... ours is ICE and I have old used up knees.

BP's are a sweet ski, if I didn't get my renoun 90's I would have bought the 88 BP's

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
? @LCS are you set on BP ?
I've been very happy on my Elan Rip sticks 94 W back country and resort. Fun on groomers and crud, handle knee deep fresh wIth ease and any other icy crapy back country condition I have encountered. Much shorter turn radius. There is a what's your back country set up thread that may be helpful ....

mustski

Angel Diva
I have skied a 92-98 in resorts for years out west and find they do very well on western groomers. I am strictly a resort skier so have no real advice regarding backcountry but wonder if an 88 might be too narrow. I think the 98s would be fine for the few days you actually resort ski but also wonder if there would be too much crossover with your 105s.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think weight may be a factor. If lighter lean towards 88, if a bit heavier 98s. Im on the heavier side and live near a small hill in Virginia. I have a pair of Blizzard Sambas which are the older version of the Black Pearl for spring skiing and variable conditions. I also took them on a Snowbird/Alta trip. They are fantastic skis, super stable, great on groomers and just plow through the variable stuff. But, they have a playful side too. I would also look at the Santa Ana and Rustler 9, both are great skis and will split the difference in width at 93.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find my knees/legs get less tired in the 88 width, and it’s more playful if you like to ski in bumps or trees.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard good things about the Salomon QST line for backcountry / resort crossover skis due to their light weight all wood core and pretty tight turning radius. For the last year, I skied the 92s in the resort and found them to be great for all the usual conditions out west (Squaw Valley). They were slightly squirrely on ice, but handled everything else like a champ. If price is a consideration, I am thinking about selling them. If you decide to go that route, we can probably make a deal ;) They are 161s in great shape with Look SPX12 bindings. Click HERE for a full description.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna