• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Diamond Recon Pants?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have experience with the Black Diamond Recon Pants? I'm intrigued by them, they sound great, but I really don't need another pair of pants, but I kinda want them, but only if they're the best thing ever. Can anyone talk me on or off this ledge?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They do sound great. But still pricey.

Rx: go outside, take 10 yoga breaths, look around, re-assess.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You don’t need it. Someone just posted about purchasing a pair of practically brand new demo skis for $199! No reason to buy pants that cost more than a pair of skis ;)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Someone just posted about purchasing a pair of practically brand new demo skis for $199! No reason to buy pants that cost more than a pair of skis ;)
Yikes, I cannot use that as my gauge - I have failed on that more than once! We even have goggles (Anon WM1 on sale from $240 to $135) that cost more than a smoking deal I got on a brand new older model flat ski ($130).

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a racket! Selling to the enthusiast/fan is big money. Thank you, fellow divas, for sorting my temporary insanity ;):thumbsup:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wait those pants sound really good to me for spring touring .....in the alternative I think I want an arc'teryx atom lt hoodie to replace an aging down jacket I use for touring .... but dont need.... however maybe I need a pair of vented soft shell pants instead ?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably not helpful, but I have one of those arc'teryx jackets and it is one of my all time favorite things. I've moved into it full time and live there happily every day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Probably not helpful, but I have one of those arc'teryx jackets and it is one of my all time favorite things. I've moved into it full time and live there happily every day.
I've been eyeballing those for awhile..... don't think they are down and wonder if they're as warm as the Patagonia down sweaters.......

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yes Atom LT is an awesome jacket, I love mine for both on and off the hill! No, probably not as warm as Patagonia down sweater but more breathable.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love my Atom LT. I have a pink one and a black one. It can work as a layer under a ski jacket for really cold conditions, but to be honest, I wear them as street wear when it's cool and dry.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have the experience to comment on the Patagonia Nano. I went with the consistently high reviews that the Atom LT had, but I also preferred the smooth look over the quilted look of the Nano. Another thing is that I had some issues with Patagonia's fit in the past. The stretchy side panels make the Atom very comfortable to wear on my curvy frame.

Google "patagonia nano puff vs arcteryx atom lt". There's lots of material out there. This conversation might be useful to compare them: https://www.mountainproject.com/for...-arcteryx-atom-lt-hoody-which-is-more-durable

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I don't have the experience to comment on the Patagonia Nano. I went with the consistently high reviews that the Atom LT had, but I also preferred the smooth look over the quilted look of the Nano. Another thing is that I had some issues with Patagonia's fit in the past. The stretchy side panels make the Atom very comfortable to wear on my curvy frame.

Google "patagonia nano puff vs arcteryx atom lt". There's lots of material out there. This conversation might be useful to compare them: https://www.mountainproject.com/for...-arcteryx-atom-lt-hoody-which-is-more-durable

Thanks! I own a slew of Patagonia but have always been curious about the Arc'teryx. I don't run into them as often.

The Patagonia Nano Puff and the Patagonia Nano Air are two different lines of jackets. The Nano Air and Nano Air Light Hybrid (with stretchy side panels) both look like the Atom LT and do not have the quilting like the Nano Puff although there is slight quilting on the sides of the new Nano Air.

I had googled the "vs" and gotten some hits but always love the first hand from the ladies here. From what I have read the Atom LT has a more durable outer so gets higher marks for durability but the Nano Air gets higher marks for breathability. With Patagonia's iron clad guarantee I know if it pilled they would give me a new one or credit me.

This was a good comparison of a handful of similar jackets when I searched. Sounds like you couldn't go wrong with either - it may just boil down to fit and price:
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-synthetic-insulated-jackets

Last edited:

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a Patagonia Nano Puff and I nicknamed it the wonder coat. So, I've got a lot of love for that one as well. To me, the Arc'teryx surpassed it for a couple reasons. Comfort is the most important one. The stretch panels make the coat super easy to move in. It's almost like it's not there. Also, I really like the hood on the Arc'teryx, it's so well engineered that it creates a comfy little pocket around your ears, keeping you cozy and blocking the wind. I also like the fit of the Arc'teryx better. The sleeves are more tailored and fit under my ski jacket better, making this jacket a great mid layer for frigid days on the slopes.

Speaking of frigid days, I visited Burlington VT during this year's polar vortex and lived in my Atom Hoodie the whole time. I layered it with a cotton sweater and a helly hanson warm underlayer, threw a scarf around my neck and was good to go. Temps were in the single digits and teens. If the wind had kicked up, I would probably have gone with a bigger coat, but luckily, that was never an issue. From a skiing POV, I wore my atom as a second layer on the slopes. Not sure what the temps were on the upper mountains around MRG and the 'Bush while we were there, I just remember that I didn't take too many pictures because every time I took my gloves off I was worried my fingers would snap off. Once suited up, I was cozy while maintaining a full range of movement.

By itself, the Atom is about the same level as warmth at the nano puff, but not as warm as the Patagonia down sweater (I have one of those too ;). Still like the Atom Hoodie the best out of the three. It's more comfortable and a lot more versatile.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@SqueakySnow you mention the Nano Puff (I have that as well and love it) but did you ever have the Nano Air? The Nano Air is the one that looks like the Atom LT. Also, did you need to size up in the Atom LT? Seems to be a common remark I am seeing on reviews.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, I saw the Patagonia Nano Air one of the first seasons it was out and found it delightfully comfy because of the stretchy nature, but I did not like the fabric. It was grabby if you tried to layer it under anything else. That was a few years ago, so I don't know if they've changed the outer fabric or not... might be worth a touchy-feely in the store to see if that's still an issue.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Also, I saw the Patagonia Nano Air one of the first seasons it was out and found it delightfully comfy because of the stretchy nature, but I did not like the fabric. It was grabby if you tried to layer it under anything else. That was a few years ago, so I don't know if they've changed the outer fabric or not... might be worth a touchy-feely in the store to see if that's still an issue.
I actually have the Nano Air (not the hoody) from several years ago. I have been thinking about picking up a hoody version at some point and was wondering if it was worth searching out the Atom LT to compare. I guess the fabric is a bit grabby on the Nano Air but I only ever pull a shell over it so haven't had any issues.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oops, I just saw your note about sizing on the Atom... It is a slim fit, but I didn't size up. Full disclosure, I always go for the men's cut instead of the women's... not sure if that helps you in your quest :becky:

Sparky

Angel Diva
I bought an Atom LT hoody 4-5 years ago and actually used it mostly as a casual jacket around Mammoth. When I started leaning more towards the versatility of shell jackets a couple years ago, I decided I needed a good mid layer without a hood (I don’t prefer a hood on my midlayer). I ended up getting an Atom because of the fit and feel vs the Nano Air. I must’ve tried on about 10 different jackets at a Patagonia store one day, between the Nano Puff, Nano Air, Down Sweaters and Vests in different sizes, and just couldn’t find anything that fit me comfortably enough. If I recall correctly, I think I was in between sizes, what would fit me otherwise was tight at the pits. I also like the material of the Atom better, easy to layer under and over, and looks more like a jacket when wearing on its own.

As far as sizing, mine are S, though my shells are all xs, as well as anything Patagonia I have. I think the Atom in xs was very snug on me so I sized up, so it’s comfy over a layer or two, but not too roomy under my shells.

Arc’teryx also has a very good lifetime warranty. I haven’t had to send anything back yet but I know people who have and they’re supposedly really good about replacing or repairing items.

When I was at the Arc’teryx outlet last month, I was tempted to get another Atom but I resisted! :becky:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna