• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The shop where I demoed made it sound like the Captis Birdies were going to be very similar to my Yumis ...so that is my only concern. It’s not that I don’t like my Yumis, just looking for a change...the Captis is also less expensive. I guess to be fair, I should give them a try before I spend the $$ on the camox!!:help:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The shop where I demoed made it sound like the Captis Birdies were going to be very similar to my Yumis ...so that is my only concern. It’s not that I don’t like my Yumis, just looking for a change...the Captis is also less expensive. I guess to be fair, I should give them a try before I spend the $$ on the camox!!:help:
If they're too much like the Yumis, get the CAMOX birdie !!!! Unless for eastern snow a narrower ski is better. The Camox and wider Black Crows are all over Tahoe ! Did you try the longer Camox Birdie as they are a bit rockered?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I ski in Maine and have the Camox Birdie as my soft snow and “powder” ski. I’m 5’4 ~130lbs and have the 165 in last year’s model. Fun ski, and really great in bumps and trees, super swively.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Luvs2ski the crows are not your old yumis. As posted earlier, I have version "2" of the Camox Birdie. I have not been able to get on the newer version "3" so I can't compare. However, my DD did a demo day over Christmas and pulled the trigger on the Captis Birdie as her new all mountain ski.
I would suggest you look at the Black Crow website and see how your height sizes up for the ski -- for DD the 165 Captis was both relaxed and agressive for her 5'3" size.

If you had the opportunity to try the Captis and Camox Birdies in different lenghts I would.

Not sure what your intended use was but as @lucy and @MissySki mentioned they can float ;)

Last edited:

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Luvs2ski the crows are not your old yumis. As posted earlier, I have version "2" of the Camox Birdie. I have not been able to get on the newer version "3" so I can't compare. However, my DD did a demo day over Christmas and pulled the trigger on the Captis Birdie as her new all mountain ski.
I would suggest you look at the Black Crow website and see how your height sizes up for the ski -- for DD the 165 Captis was both relaxed and agressive for her 5'3" size.

If you had the opportunity to try the Captis and Camox Birdies in different lenghts I would.

Not sure what your intended use was but as @lucy and @MissySki mentioned they can float ;)
Thank you ...good to know & I have been on the Black Crows site & think the 165 would be a good length on either ski for my height, weight, ability (again, I ski a 161 right now). The shop only had a 156. I am going to try the Captis...I need something to compare to before making the investment.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Luvs2ski just a heads up -
The Captis did appear to sell out last year in the 165. The year I bought my Camox (first year available in US) they were sold out in town and I got a pair from Evo (one of the last). Not sure how manufacturing is this year now that they are more popular but that mid size seems to sell out .

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Reference: 5' and 118 lbs or so. I have the Vertis (I think 87 underfoot and 152 cm) and Atris (108 underfoot and 160 cm). My mid mountain is the Line Pandora 95 which I feel is a fine ski, but holds an edge for crap. I demoed the Captis and I found them to feel much like my Vertis which is a fairly stiff ski with minimal rocker. I did demo the Vertis in the longer length but felt they were skiing me, so I opted for the 152s. My Atris is 160 cm but TONS of rocker (and honestly my favorite ski ever) so it skis shorter. I wanted to replace my Pandoras with the Captis but I didn't get that fun, playful feeling I was hoping for. From talking to my dudes at my local shop, I *think* the Camox would be that fun ski. My local shop I think has the Camox for a demo, but in the larger size.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Captis and I found them to feel much like my Vertis which is a fairly stiff ski with minimal rocker. ..... I wanted to replace my Pandoras with the Captis but I didn't get that fun, playful feeling I was hoping for.

Curious if you demod the 2020 Captis white with aqua lines or the 2019 Captis which is aqua with the black crow diamond grid? Only b/c this was the playful fun ski for DD (park background).

Since they changed the Camox for 2020 I'm wondering if they changed the Captis in the video on the Black Crows website he talks about changing the center mount point 6cm back?????

All this Black Crows talk is making me want to try the new Orb and the Atris (changed since I last demod).

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone ski the daemon birdie from black crows?

I have been thinking about upgrading my eight year old Atomic Century (early rise 100mm underfoot). They feel so soft and bit squirrely at speed but still feel playful when the conditions are soft (definitely not as fun when in the crud). The Daemon have intrigue me. I am fairly aggressive skiers who loves skiing mostly in the trees, anything not groom, chutes, and small bumps, and in the backcountry. I love a playful ski, turny ski. I am 5'5'' and 115lbs.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
All this Black Crows talk is making me want to try the new Orb and the Atris (changed since I last demod).

When did the Atris Birdie last get updated? I got to take a spin on the 2020 version this weekend and loved them, but an older model might be gentler on the wallet given their popularity...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Anyone ski the daemon birdie from black crows?

I have been thinking about upgrading my eight year old Atomic Century (early rise 100mm underfoot). They feel so soft and bit squirrely at speed but still feel playful when the conditions are soft (definitely not as fun when in the crud). The Daemon have intrigue me. I am fairly aggressive skiers who loves skiing mostly in the trees, anything not groom, chutes, and small bumps, and in the backcountry. I love a playful ski, turny ski. I am 5'5'' and 115lbs.
https://www.sierra.com/black-crows-daemon-birdie-alpine-skis-for-women~p~744na/?filterString=s~black-crows/
Are they too long for you? Sierra has other Black Crows at great prices!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When did the Atris Birdie last get updated? I got to take a spin on the 2020 version this weekend and loved them, but an older model might be gentler on the wallet given their popularity...

Per a google search / Freeskier magazine 2017/2018 or when they changed the Atris Birdie color from blue/aqua to "Orange". I believe they also offered additional lengths. They were 18m radius prior.

Black Crows Atris Birdie Skis 2017-2018
MSRP: $770.00
Get it for: $649.95

Boasting major upgrades compared to last year’s iteration, the Atris Birdie is designed to help you conquer variable conditions across big-mountain terrain. Most notably, Black Crows extended the sidecut of the ski, resulting in a 20 meter turn radius that lends itself to arcing long, swooping turns down steep lines. This new iteration of the Atris Birdie also benefits from greater rise in the tip and tail, enhancing its ability to float above deep powder. Camber underfoot and a lightweight poplar core bring about strong edge hold and also dampness and spring, respectively. Our testers took note, saying, “it’s rather satisfying when you’re hauling ass through deep pow, need to make a quick turn and can trust the ski to respond to even the subtlest of bodily movements.”

Additional Product Info
Ski Lengths: 169, 178.2
Turn Radius: 20 m

@santacruz skier I saw those Damons on sale Lol.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly I have to love a ski brand that goes "longer" on the turn radius for woman rather than shorter. The old Samba and Camox I have are 18m ....

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not too long. My atomic century's are starting to feel too soft. They are 165cm in length.

I should also share I just been staring at these skis for too long and decided at $199 for 164cm it was too good to pass. We will see if I made the right decision. Fingers crossed.
And I've been staring at the Head Wild Joy in a 153 for $299 for a month now

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna