• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows Daemon Birdie Review

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My stats - 5'5'', 115 lbs, aggressive, hard charging skiers who loves skiing trees, ungroomed runs, powder, chutes and who gets bored on groomed runs. Mainly ski in the backcountry when I can. Lives in Northeast Oregon with only small local hills and lots of backcountry terrain.

So I bought the Black Crows Daemon Birdie (2019) in 165 in length on sale at STP on a whim and sounded like a ski I might love. I threw on some dynafit bindings and decided I would try them as backcountry set up. With bindings, each ski only weighs about 4.1 lbs so not super light but not super heavy.

There are not a ton of reviews on this ski. I can't for the life of me figure out why. I have skied these skis 5 different times so far and love it. They tour great too. I have skied them on breakable crust, powder days with about 5 inches of new snow, at our local small hill with a base of ice with a dusting of 4 inches of new snow. These skis love to fly, easy to make tight turns in the trees, easy to make big GS turns on open runs, playful, planes on soft snow, and holds an edge really well. They are the most fun on soft snow days or bit a new snow on hard pack underneath. Not bad on the groomers - they don't chatter too much.

The biggest complaint was from my DH about how I beat him down our favorite run (a chopped/bumped up run) and he could barely catch me on the skis. :smile:

These are definitely stiffer ski for me which I am loving (but not too stiff). The reverse camber and the shape is unique but makes for a fun ski that pivots quickly.

My favorite day was when the 40++ crowd (me at the youngest of 42 everyone else in their 50-60s) was chasing each other all over the mountain on our local hill as fast as we could - like a bunch of teenagers. I could ski these hard and fast through the trees, chutes, and chopped up runs and keep up with all the boys. I was having so much fun that I might have fist pumped a couple of times coming down a run that day.

Highly recommend these skis if you like to ski fast and hard, love a ski you can turn easily, and need an all-mountain ski.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Black Crow all mountain skis are definitely under rated for their crud busting and float - super fun skis for those who regularly ski in variable conditions. I also appreciate the longer turn radius yet capability to be driven in short turns down the fall line..... congrats @arbusch on your new skis :smile:

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks and I would agree- super fun in variable conditions.

I will say that at times I wish I could of test driven the different lengths - 170s vs 165s. Yet living in the middle of nowhere, there is no way to demo anything.

I find the 165s great in the tight trees and appreciate how easier it is to take off my skins in the shorter length. Yet in the more open bowls with more new snow, I wonder if I would find the 170 length just a tad bit more enjoyable and able to rally harder through the softer snow. I am definitely between sizes with these skis. Yet in the end, I am having fun with these skis and just need to stop overthinking it.

Just FYI, these skis are still on sale at STP!!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Black Crow all mountain skis are definitely under rated for their crud busting and float - super fun skis for those who regularly ski in variable conditions

YES! I have skied my Atris on groomers (little chattery, can't go as fast but sometimes that's okay), blower powder, wet new snow, and spring conditions. They float but also just get through the chop. Love my Crows SO much!

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
YES! I have skied my Atris on groomers (little chattery, can't go as fast but sometimes that's okay), blower powder, wet new snow, and spring conditions. They float but also just get through the chop. Love my Crows SO much!

Atris gang!!! I pulled the trigger on these this year too after demoing them in Utah and similarly was pleasantly surprised how good they were on groomers and how stable they were through chop. They cut through crud so calmly...

Make me want to try the Daemons.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atris gang!!! I pulled the trigger on these this year too after demoing them in Utah and similarly was pleasantly surprised how good they were on groomers and how stable they were through chop. They cut through crud so calmly...

Make me want to try the Daemons.

Have you tried the Captis? That's a stiffer ski than the Atris. I haven't tried the Camox yet (mostly because my local shop only has the larger size and I'm tiny). I always thought the Camox would be my next ski...but I am also really interested in trying the Moment Sierras!

But really through...I wish I bought like 8 pairs of my 2018 Atris. I just LOVE them. I also get tons of compliments everytime I ski with them ; )

lisamamot

Angel Diva
So I bought the Black Crows Daemon Birdie (2019) in 165 in length on sale at STP on a whim and sounded like a ski I might love.
On a whim, I just put these in my Sierra cart in the 177, lol, and then headed here to see what information I could find :smile:

I have been pining for a Black Crows since demoing the 2018 Camox Birdie (171); the one day on them sucked me in! Such a confidence inspiring ski in choppy new snow.

Anyone know how the Camox and Daemon compare? Sounds like you would go longer on the Daemon due to the full reverse camber...the description as playful and stable is sucking me in. My daily driver is the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172 (LOVE) and I have the Santa Ana 100 177 (pre-metal) for deeper snow, and while I love them I do get tossed around when conditions get heavier and chopped-up.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been on the Daemon to be able to compare.....

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have only been on the daemon so I can't compare either. Snow levels have been dismissal in NE Oregon. I just got to ski on them again since last ski season and had a blast coming out on a chopped up skin track.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot — I totally have had the 177 in my Sierra cart too! I am torn over the sizing though. Would love to hear your thoughts if you get them!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daily driver is the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172 (LOVE) and I have the Santa Ana 100 177 (pre-metal) for deeper snow, and while I love them I do get tossed around when conditions get heavier and chopped-up.
I was just thinking that the description of titanal underfoot extending partway out, with softer tips and tails, makes them sound like a reverse camber Sheeva. Very curious if you got them and if so, how do they compare? :smile:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I was just thinking that the description of titanal underfoot extending partway out, with softer tips and tails, makes them sound like a reverse camber Sheeva. Very curious if you got them and if so, how do they compare? :smile:
I did not....the quiver still has not been graced by a Black Crows. I recently got the 2022 Santa Ana 93 172. They came to Diva West for me and were pretty splendid in quite varied conditions. I would like a powder ski that has more teeth than my pre-metal Santa Ana 100, but no rush since I rarely have the conditions for it.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s a very interesting ski and unique ski I’ve been curious about. Thank you for your review.
You are welcome. Black Crows stopped making this ski. Not sure why. I was told the Justis was the remake and recently demoed those and a totally different ski and it was too much ski for me. You can find a few still on sale online but getting harder to find.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found these reviews - the skis are unisex the birdie is just an alternate top sheet.
I wonder if the 2/3 titanal was the precursor to their skis that now have the H shape titanal such as the Orb Birdie. The Daemon had a mixed review at my local shop when it came out and this is (I believe) their only full rocker ski they have produced to date. I do see there are still a few for sale on line as @arbusch has mentioned........

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i bought the camox birdie (2020) version after demo in alta. i even enjoyed them with a demo binding!! finally got to ski them this year and i love them. im now a black crow fan...will demo other models in the future if they have my size 156(glad i went shorter for trees and bumps)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly