• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows Camox Birdies

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One gal said she loved the ski but wouldn't buy it because of the color. With my goggles on it looked pink to me. Or is pink this year's color?
2016 and 2017 were both purple.... think pink was 2018 (or was it orange?)
Anyhow I sold my Saffrons and bought the Camox Birdies and am not sorry...
Congrats !

MissySki

Angel Diva
Demoed ski today at Loveland. We got lucky with 4" of fresh snow. Conditions were very good. On my bucket list- Volkl Secret, Elan RipStick 94W, Black Crows Camox Birdies. I also wanted to try the Blizzard Sheeva 10's but never saw them.

By the time I got my season pass and got organized the 3 skis were already taken out. I was going to take a warm up run on my Rossi Saffron's but spotted the Black Crow Captis Birdie. I was feeling a little wimpy so I took them down blue groomers. Man can those ski turn. They were light, turny and fun. Since I already have a narrower ski I went back looking for the 156 Camox Birdies. When I got back they had been returned so I grabbed them. This time I took a run with a steeper face and chopped up snow but some hard pack underneath. They held the conditions well, I hardly knew the chop was there and were very responsive in the turns. There was also no chatter on the hard pack. For a wide ski, 97 waist they felt a lot narrower. Then I skied my Saffron's. They felt like boats compared to the Camox. I had to be more patient in the turns and they seemed slower at speed. They didn't hold an edge as well on the hard pack although they still did well in the chop.

The next ski was the 149 Volkl Secret. I was told they were the one ski that all the women in the shop enjoyed them no matter size or skier ability. 1st, they felt heavy to me. They held a great edge on the hard pack but they bounced me around on the chopped snow. They also seemed to chatter on the hardpack. They turned nicely on the groomers and cruised along nicely. But I didn't feel love for them. They seemed to be skiing me rather me skiing them.

The Birdie Camox were back so I took them out again. Found some untouched powder. They were buttery smooth. I don't think they held an edge as well as the Volkl's but they were definitely more fun than the Secret's.

Finally, the Ripstick 94 W's came back. I demoed them in the 156. Compared to the Camox's these really felt like boats. They turned easily enough, held a good edge but just were a lot more work. I was let down by this ski because I had read so many good things about it. They skied more like my Saffron's except a lot heavier.

So, I now have a replacement ski for the Saffron's. It was a no brainer, the Camox Birdie's won hands down. Will pick them up early next week. I'm so excited.

BTW, I'm 5'1.5", 100 lbs and an advanced skier.

I was "patiently" awaiting your review today, and you did not disappoint! So excited you are going with the Camox! Ugh on the person asking if you picked them because they were pink..

I am doing my scheduled demo day tomorrow, so after that I will decide on my new soft snow ski. Have every thought that it will be the Camox, but really want to give a few more a fair shot.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finally, the Ripstick 94 W's came back. I demoed them in the 156. Compared to the Camox's these really felt like boats.

Thats interesting b/c after 4 days on the Camox I switched to the Ripsticks and was thinking just the opposite LOL. When I previously looked at weight the Rip Stick Women's 94 163 was 1430 g/ski
and the Black Crow Camox Birdie 164 Evo weight was 1615 g/ski ? Wondering if it was the demo binding or if you had the Ripsticks on the correct feet? there is a right and left....
Either way glad you found your replacement, the Camox is a fun ski!!

I'm tempted by these.... narrower and flat tail in a 152...... nice short turning radius
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/b...EgKNcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&codes-processed=true
Oh just stop looking, if you get these, then I'll have to get them!!!! What a coincidence b/c I am looking for an 85 +/- ski for when there is no new snow..... also looking to demo the Armada Victa 87 ti... something with tip rocker camber but fun and playful.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thats interesting b/c after 4 days on the Camox I switched to the Ripsticks and was thinking just the opposite LOL. When I previously looked at weight the Rip Stick Women's 94 163 was 1430 g/ski
and the Black Crow Camox Birdie 164 Evo weight was 1615 g/ski ? Wondering if it was the demo binding or if you had the Ripsticks on the correct feet? there is a right and left....
Either way glad you found your replacement, the Camox is a fun ski!!

Oh just stop looking, if you get these, then I'll have to get them!!!! What a coincidence b/c I am looking for an 85 +/- ski for when there is no new snow..... also looking to demo the Armada Victa 87 ti... something with tip rocker camber but fun and playful.....
I was looking at Armada Victa 87 ti as well.... ha ha

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just got back from Tahoe and skied the Sambas one day and the Camox Birdie the other two days after about 4+inches snow. Was going to get the Sheeva 9's but decided to go with what I had. Wow! The Camox Birdies were so much fun in fluffy bumps and ungroomed. I forgot how much fun they were - also held fairly well on some hard packed groomed but really were the most fun in the soft bumps and ungroomed runs at Northstar.
Just sayin.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just got back from Tahoe and skied the Sambas one day and the Camox Birdie the other two days after about 4+inches snow. Was going to get the Sheeva 9's but decided to go with what I had. Wow! The Camox Birdies were so much fun in fluffy bumps and ungroomed. I forgot how much fun they were - also held fairly well on some hard packed groomed but really were the most fun in the soft bumps and ungroomed runs at Northstar.
Just sayin.

I can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow! Unfortunately we are all hardpack right now, and with a major warm up and lots of rain coming this weekend before a refreeze, it doesn't look like I'll be on those anytime soon..

Glad you got to spend some time rediscovering your love for them!! It's the best ehen you are so happy on your own skis that there is no reason to get on anything else!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes Camox Birdie! But then again, I am in search of a narrower all mountain so maybe the Captis Birdie might be worth a look too??
I just got the Vertis Birdie which is an 87 underfoot. They're much stiffer than my Line Pandora but still stable with the wide-ish underfoot. I demoed them out on a soft slushy day and I did not have a good time, I would hit a bump and get thrown around. I felt that they were a little too stiff for the bumpy stuff, but they did cut through the soft crud. I felt a little hesitant but I knew the ski was fun in the hardpack I was able to get, so I decided to go for it with a beefier binding (Marker Griffon instead of the Marker Squire my shop recommended). It was a fantastic groomer day with some little side stashes on the side, and the Vertis Birdies preformed SO WELL! I am so glad I got them. Right now I'm looking for a wider ski, a little over 100, and I'm hoping to demo more Black Crows again! My shop guy's wife has a pair of the Camox but in the larger size, but he said he'd be happy to throw me on them to give em a try. Maybe I'll report back!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yesterday I was on the Camox Birdies because I thought I was going to be in soft snow as the day warmed up. Turned out that the opposite happened, the high temp of the day happened really early and things froze up solid as it dropped. Just wanted to report that they performed really well on the boilerplate and frozen crud. I was really impressed! I think my Sheevas would have been great on the boilerplate, but also knocked around more in the frozen crud since they are so light. The Camox Birdies were not diverted in the least, and I was happy to be on them all day. Looking forward to trying them in actual spring conditions when I get the opportunity!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly