• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows Camox Birdies

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, you keep plugging that and I may need to take the plunge even if I cannot demo! Hopefully if I can't get on the Sheeva I can try the Rustler. Enable me, lol.
They are just so playful, yet SO stable on the groomers, without having that heavy feel of the newer Santa Anas, for instance. And the short turn radius is not a farce, nor is the metal under the foot, which absolutely gives them serious edge grip and rippin' fun on the groomers. The bindings are a bit forward, too, which adds to the swivelly feeling of them. The 9s are going to become my new daily drivers, replacing the Black Pearls most likely, because they are just that much better in crud and chop and definitely powder, which says a lot, because the Black Pearls are pretty fun in those conditions.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
They are just so playful, yet SO stable on the groomers, without having that heavy feel of the newer Santa Anas, for instance. And the short turn radius is not a farce, nor is the metal under the foot, which absolutely gives them serious edge grip and rippin' fun on the groomers. The bindings are a bit forward, too, which adds to the swivelly feeling of them. The 9s are going to become my new daily drivers, replacing the Black Pearls most likely, because they are just that much better in crud and chop and definitely powder, which says a lot, because the Black Pearls are pretty fun in those conditions.
Geez now I want the Sheeva 9, also re-read my link I provide with ski essentials reviews and they are #1 in what I'm looking for.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Geez now I want the Sheeva 9, also re-read my link I provide with ski essentials reviews and they are #1 in what I'm looking for.

Lol so many skis sound so good!

I'm hoping to try the Sheeva 10 at the demo Friday to compare to the Camox Birdie. I also hope all these extra skis are not going to cause a big dilemma on what to get! First world problems..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's so true, there are so many great options! I'd like to get on the Camox just for kicks and grins. I'll have to see if they'll be at industry testing days in February. They're not easy to get around here.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Lol so many skis sound so good!

I'm hoping to try the Sheeva 10 at the demo Friday to compare to the Camox Birdie. I also hope all these extra skis are not going to cause a big dilemma on what to get! First world problems..
I demoed the Sheeva 10 in Tahoe last season... really fun but different than Camox Birdie at 102 underfoot

MissySki

Angel Diva
I demoed the Sheeva 10 in Tahoe last season... really fun but different than Camox Birdie at 102 underfoot

I was just thinking it'd be the closest geared to soft snow versus the Sheeva 9, but I'll probably try both for the heck of it if they are available. Sometimes not as easy to find 100+ widths at an east coast demo day, so will be interested to see if they even have the 10.

What would you say is the main difference between these and the Camox Birdie for you and your peferences on how the ski behaved? Is the extra 5mm of width very noticable? I've admittedly been on only 2 skis over 100mm wide for very short times, and found them a bit more work. Seems like such a small jump from the high 90s that I'm so frequently on though, so not sure why that is.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's so true, there are so many great options! I'd like to get on the Camox just for kicks and grins. I'll have to see if they'll be at industry testing days in February. They're not easy to get around here.

I was going to ask if you had been on them. Would love to hear your comparisons with all of the others in your quiver! I'm a big Blizzard fan (still own the original Black Pearls and was enthusiastically out on them for day 1 this season, and also have the Viva 8.1 as my icy day skis), so I have a soft spot for them and can't wait to get on some that I haven't yet on Friday!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to ask if you had been on them. Would love to hear your comparisons with all of the others in your quiver! I'm a big Blizzard fan (still own the original Black Pearls and was enthusiastically out on them for day 1 this season, and also have the Viva 8.1 as my icy day skis), so I have a soft spot for them and can't wait to get on some that I haven't yet on Friday!
Since you like Blizzard, you'll most likely like the Sheevas. I get on Blizzards and just feel like I'm "home". Just found out the factory is all sold out of the 9s, so ordering them the way I usually do is out. I'm sad!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was just thinking it'd be the closest geared to soft snow versus the Sheeva 9, but I'll probably try both for the heck of it if they are available. Sometimes not as easy to find 100+ widths at an east coast demo day, so will be interested to see if they even have the 10.

What would you say is the main difference between these and the Camox Birdie for you and your peferences on how the ski behaved? Is the extra 5mm of width very noticable? I've admittedly been on only 2 skis over 100mm wide for very short times, and found them a bit more work. Seems like such a small jump from the high 90s that I'm so frequently on though, so not sure why that is.
So I skied the Sheeva 10's in Tahoe after about a 6 ft dump. No kidding!
They were super fun in the heavy snow because of their short turn radius felt they were quick and fun to turn. The extra 5 mm radius was definitely noticeable and the extra shovel and tail width as well.
Camox Birdie - 120-96-110 TR 18(mine are 156 and waist is 96 not 97.
Sheeva 10 - 131-102-121 a wider ski all around
Also, I don't demo all that often (well did have the Wild Joy's on that same trip but that was only b/c tune on Camox Birdies wasn't ready when I was ready to ski. So shop at Heavenly said pick out a pair to try!)
I didn't take any notes and usually don't. Also I don't trade demos mostly b/c lose an hour going back and forth as not on the mountain.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but was shopping today!

ETA: I have never skied the Sheeva 9

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I skied the Sheeva 10's in Tahoe after about a 6 ft dump. No kidding!
They were super fun in the heavy snow because of their short turn radius felt they were quick and fun to turn. The extra 5 mm radius was definitely noticeable and the extra shovel and tail width as well.
Camox Birdie - 120-96-110 TR 18(mine are 156 and waist is 96 not 97.
Sheeva 10 - 131-102-121 a wider ski all around
Also, I don't demo all that often (well did have the Wild Joy's on that same trip but that was only b/c tune on Camox Birdies wasn't ready when I was ready to ski. So shop at Heavenly said pick out a pair to try!)
I didn't take any notes and usually don't. Also I don't trade demos mostly b/c lose an hour going back and forth as not on the mountain.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but was shopping today!

ETA: I have never skied the Sheeva 9

Shopping for something fun I hope!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sheeva 9s felt almost identical to the 10s, which I loved. Sometimes, you get on the "sister ski" in a series and it feels nothing like its sibling. Not so in this case.
And, I found some and they are on the way, finished with Attack 13 bindings.
:banana:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demoed ski today at Loveland. We got lucky with 4" of fresh snow. Conditions were very good. On my bucket list- Volkl Secret, Elan RipStick 94W, Black Crows Camox Birdies. I also wanted to try the Blizzard Sheeva 10's but never saw them.

By the time I got my season pass and got organized the 3 skis were already taken out. I was going to take a warm up run on my Rossi Saffron's but spotted the Black Crow Captis Birdie. I was feeling a little wimpy so I took them down blue groomers. Man can those ski turn. They were light, turny and fun. Since I already have a narrower ski I went back looking for the 156 Camox Birdies. When I got back they had been returned so I grabbed them. This time I took a run with a steeper face and chopped up snow but some hard pack underneath. They held the conditions well, I hardly knew the chop was there and were very responsive in the turns. There was also no chatter on the hard pack. For a wide ski, 97 waist they felt a lot narrower. Then I skied my Saffron's. They felt like boats compared to the Camox. I had to be more patient in the turns and they seemed slower at speed. They didn't hold an edge as well on the hard pack although they still did well in the chop.

The next ski was the 149 Volkl Secret. I was told they were the one ski that all the women in the shop enjoyed them no matter size or skier ability. 1st, they felt heavy to me. They held a great edge on the hard pack but they bounced me around on the chopped snow. They also seemed to chatter on the hardpack. They turned nicely on the groomers and cruised along nicely. But I didn't feel love for them. They seemed to be skiing me rather me skiing them.

The Birdie Camox were back so I took them out again. Found some untouched powder. They were buttery smooth. I don't think they held an edge as well as the Volkl's but they were definitely more fun than the Secret's.

Finally, the Ripstick 94 W's came back. I demoed them in the 156. Compared to the Camox's these really felt like boats. They turned easily enough, held a good edge but just were a lot more work. I was let down by this ski because I had read so many good things about it. They skied more like my Saffron's except a lot heavier.

So, I now have a replacement ski for the Saffron's. It was a no brainer, the Camox Birdie's won hands down. Will pick them up early next week. I'm so excited.

BTW, I'm 5'1.5", 100 lbs and an advanced skier.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I told some guys I was riding the chair with that I was demoing the skis. One quy asked if I chose the Chamox because they were pink! My answer was nicer than it should have been.
Mine are purple.... not my favorite color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly