• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows Atris Birdie - what length?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot if you wanted some thing with a bit "more" you may like the Orb Birdie, has the same Black Crow DNA but with titanal H for additional stiffness. Granted a bit more frontside oriented at 88 and not double rocker but could be a fun east coast ski. FWIW it appears the Orb "birdie" is not coming back but they did extend their Orb sizing.
Yes, the one I demoed was the same top sheet as the 2019, but the year before; it was the first year of the top sheet change after your purple ones. Love the purple top sheet!

Thank you for the details - I do have the 85-93 waist width well covered, and am super happy with those skis. The ski I will eventually replace is my 2016 Santa Ana 100 177 (pre-metal version); I would like something similar in width, but more able to stand-up to chop, while also not being too stout. I don't often use my 100s, but I love having them for travel and for when we get a dumping.

Last edited:

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WaterGirl I saw that! Very intrigued to try them out. The 2018 update really made that ski stand out in the 105-110 width class. Lots of medium flex, 16m turn radius, 1650g skis in that category, and lengthening out the turn radius and adjusting the core flex made it really great in powder and gave it that "bend-and-snap" sensation.

I'm not super psyched on how they're describing the update. I find them to do really well on groomers (especially in the PNW where they're more slushy than firm) and on the days where it's icy, I just give myself grief for not owning a ski narrower than 104. Even with my quiver pretty stacked in the 105-110 width, I find the Atris the best in fresh snow, and I only really struggle with them in hot, skied out pow. The changes sound like they'll move away from the things I like in the ski and make them worse in the places where I think they struggle.

But there's also a chance the tweaks are minor. I was also really shocked at the Santa Ana refresh since I love my 110s and really enjoyed the days I got on the 93. But women who I talked to who skied both said that the difference wasn't extreme, especially when the sizing changed too. If you were skiing a 169, the 172 felt pretty much the same, maybe a bit more maneuverable. The sizing looks like it's changing for the Atris (the new model comes in a 172), but that length also has a shorter turn radius (19m), so I'm a little skeptical seeing both flex and TR get toned down.

Geeneeski

Diva in Training
Hi! I am a Black Crows fan :smile:. I own a pair of 2020 Camox Birdies (162cm). Love them! They work great for what I enjoy skiing. We live in the Vail Valley and ski mostly Beaver Creek and Vail. I am the happiest in bumps and fresh snow (who isn't!!!). I also enjoy groomers but find myself spending most of the time in variable (un groomed) terrain. I am 5'5" and weigh 120lbs. I started skiing in my early 30s and have about 13 seasons under my belt! I should mention I have experience with wider skis as I own a pair of K2 - 106 wide.

I am interested in the BC Atris Birdie. My local shop has them for demo at 160cm and 169cm. Given my height and style of skiing I can go either way with length. The ski shop guy insists I should go with 160cm. I plan to demo both but I need opinion as to how do I identify which one is a better fit for me. I think if the 169cm feels long I would be able to tell but.....how would I know if the 160cm are too short for me? What does "ski short" feels like? Thank you!
How to tell if skis you're too short: No stability with any kind of speed on steeper icey firm stuff... The tips just bounce all over the place If they're too short.

Typically, Shorter skis are better for bumps, longer skis better for GS style skiing.

I'm 5'2.5 and I ski on a 156 88 waist Mindbender TI (titanal metal).

I can ski on a 161 98 waist Mindbender TI , but it makes my legs more tired and less versatile for me... I only want to do fast GS style on those long metal skis. I don't want to take that length in the bumps. So not versatile enough for me to invest in buying the longer ski.

My next ski is going to be a 156 Nordica 93 underfoot... It has a bigger rocker, so it skis like a shorter ski (compared to my 156 88 waist Mindbenders. I'll use the Nordicas for the park, and in the bumps, in the crud, off piste, and powder (not talking deep powder).

For deep powder I'd use my Black Crow Atri Birdies 160 108 waist skis. I don't take these BC ABs out unless I'm in deep powder. Although they're good on the firm, fun to ski on, they're heavy to carry from the car to the hill!! But then I have warden 11 demo bindings on them which are super heavy. I'm going to sell these skis, because I just don't use them often enough. Otherwise maybe I'll get a lighter binding for the BC ABs.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Analisa I guess I have some demoing to do ..... and make some decisions as that 105ish width was what I was looking to downsize to for my powder ski -

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
so here is the new BC look book for 22/23
(if your not familiar with issuu - click on the full screen box can also enlarge)

Looks like only the Atris and the Captis get updated with new sizes.....
The Orb birdie is no more, but the Orb is now sized smaller.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
Anyone have updates on changes if any to the Camox and Atris? I see Blister just released a review that says no changes, but Powder 7 who is a major distributor of BC says changes.

Graphic and structural updates to the Captis, Captis Birdie, Camox, and Camox Birdie.....Graphic and structural updates to the Atris, and Atris Birdie.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @Analisa! As one who routinely monitors ISSUU not sure how I missed the new catalog :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Powder 7 had this review - unfortunately based on this review the new improvements seem to make this a more of an all mountain ski. I'm looking to fill a gap between my all mountain and wider powder ski. Still looking for comparison of the 2018-2021 Atris to the 2021 Moment Bella 108 ......

Powder and Mixed Snow

In mixed snow conditions, ranging from soft chop to crud, the new Atris flashes its versatility. Like the previous version, it’s still not a ski that wants to overpower everything in its path (read: no metal). But that refined flex pattern and those fairly soft tips give the ski a smooth and reliable feel plus nice suspension. It rewards dynamic skiing, skipping across piled-up snow and moving quickly edge-to-edge when things firm up. In crappy snow, you’ll want to stay on the skis and remember you’re not driving a tank. Those tips can get deflected at high speeds on variable or cut-up pitches. But in most snow on most days, the new Atris no doubt handles the whole mountain better than average for its waist width.

In powder, this ski as some big shoes to fill. One of the most remarkable things about the previous Atris was that it floated untracked snow like a much, much wider ski—better in my book than any sub-110mm ski I’ve ridden.

Full disclosure: I didn’t get to ski the new Atris in more than about eight inches of fresh. But in that poor-man’s-powder, this ski felt light, playful, and surfy. Again, it’s not as drifty as the previous version, and I am skeptical that it will float quite as well with its new dimensions and shape. But set against the other skis around 105mm underfoot, the Atris still rises toward the top of the list on the best days of the year.

One other note: While I did find the new Atris less drifty than the old one, it is just as playful—if not more-so. Even this pretty boring freeride skier was able to bring around a couple nose butters, and the Atris loves launching, spinning, and slashing as much as you’d hope.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna