• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Bindings not centered side-to-side?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,

I just got my new skis mounted and noticed the bindings are not exactly centered side-to-side on the ski. They're off by 1 to 2mm and I'm thinking this could cause handling issues. Can anyone put my mind at ease or let me know I have a legit beef with the shop that mounted the bindings? The skis are Nordica Santa Ana 93 and the bindings are Look SPX 12 with 100mm brakes. Any expertise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you bought the skis from them, I'd return them. If you didn't, expect a fight, and it better be pretty noticeable. Your center of weight will be on a different axis from one ski to another. Sure, you'll adapt over time, but is that good for your skiing?

Years ago my husband had a heel piece mounted a thumb-width closer to the toe on one ski vs another.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that's a bid difference for your husband's ski! My concern is actually centering across the ski, not from tip-to-tail. The bindings are perfect along the length of the ski, but are not centered by a couple of mm across the ski. Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but I notice things like this :smile: I just need to know if I'm being overly sensitive... I'm hoping all is well, but I'd like to know for sure.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I just got my new skis mounted and noticed the bindings are not exactly centered side-to-side on the ski. They're off by 1 to 2mm and I'm thinking this could cause handling issues. Can anyone put my mind at ease or let me know I have a legit beef with the shop that mounted the bindings? The skis are Nordica Santa Ana 93 and the bindings are Look SPX 12 with 100mm brakes. Any expertise would be appreciated.

Hard to tell without actually seeing the skis. How did you measure the 1 to 2mm? Or was this just a guess based on looking at the ski? I wouldn't worry about a millimeter, but I would think 2 might be hedging into the area of something isn't right.

If you do decide to bring them back, I would make sure that they are in fact not centered on the ski (edge to edge), and not just not centered on the top sheet. Sometimes the top sheet will me a little off, whether it's due to the sidewalls not being planed exactly even or something else during the manufacturing process. When you mount bindings on a ski using a jig, the jig grabs the ski at the widest part (the edges...not the top sheet), and that's what the binding gets centered on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna