• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings for Pow Skis?

Sparky

Angel Diva
Just got a good deal on the 2016 Head Big Joy skis for my Hokkaido trip next February and need to get bindings. I have Salomon z10 ti on my Saffrons and like them just fine and thought about getting them for these skis too since they are light and pretty popular. My main hesitation is whether these are just as good for a ski like the Big Joy at 108 underfoot (@158) or should I be looking at a binding with a wider platform like the Tyrolia Attack 12? My knees really like the idea of the z10 ti having the vertical progressive pivot and they seem to step in fairly easily. But I've read in other threads that the Attacks also step in easily, I wonder if it's easier than the z10 when stepping in the deep (which can be challenging)? I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two, so hoping that fellow ski divas can help me make a final decision! Oh, and I'm 5'3", 115lbs, 265-270 BSL, 5.5 DIN, and an advanced intermediate skier. Thanks!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've owned both a z10 (but not the ti) and multiple Attack 13s, and the Attack 13s are just as easy to step into. (Of course, here I am actually talking about two different bindings than the ones you asked about.) I have never had a problem stepping into Attack 13s in any conditions, including deep powder, whereas Marker Griffons and Squires have given me fits.

Just for the record, the construction of the Attack 13s is better than that of the 12s (generally the higher the max DIN, the better the construction), and from what I've read there is also a different ramp angle, and I believe the Attack 13 is fairly neutral - paging @contesstant because she was discussing this in detail last season.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Technically, you'd be fine with either one. The Attack is a better binding overall, and it is designed with the freeski/powder platform in mind. The Attack 12 is the same binding as the 13, but slightly lower DIN and marketed towards women (only difference), so you could choose either one.

Your decision should partly depend on your boots. Not all boots will work with all bindings, as they used to. There are primarily three different types of soles...Alpine, Grip Walk (or Walk to Ride), and Touring soles. Grip Walk and Walk to Ride are becoming increasingly popular, and require a binding that allows an adjustment for that certain sole. The new Attack bindings (called the Attack2), have this adjustment, but the Z10s do not. If you want to go with a Salomon binding, I would recommend looking at the Warden 13 MNC, which has a similar platform as the Tyrolia Attacks.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just for the record, the construction of the Attack 13s is better than that of the 12s (generally the higher the max DIN, the better the construction), and from what I've read there is also a different ramp angle, and I believe the Attack 13 is fairly neutral

The Attack 12 and 13s are identical (other than color, and the DIN setting range), the Attack 11s have a modified heel piece to lower weight, which also changed the delta between the heel and toe.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Attack 12 and 13s are identical (other than color, and the DIN setting range), the Attack 11s have a modified heel piece to lower weight, which also changed the delta between the heel and toe.

Huh. A very brief scan of the internet tells me that the 12 has a DIN range of 3.5-12, while the 13 has a range of 4 to 13. If that's actually true (rather than one of the sites just rounding up), it still seems crazy to me. The 12's only advantage is the ability to go down by half a DIN number.

(PS don't search "attack 12 vs 13" without qualifiers - all the results relate to terrorist acts. Adding the word "binding" helps.)

Sparky

Angel Diva
(PS don't search "attack 12 vs 13" without qualifiers - all the results relate to terrorist acts. Adding the word "binding" helps.)
Yikes!!!

Thanks for the input ladies! It seems we may be leaning towards the Attacks. Besides just color and slight DIN range differences, I assumed the 13 would be heavier but it appears to be the same. And since I have regular boots and don't foresee getting any new boots anytime soon (hopefully), I should probably see if I can find last year's 13 for cheap. I've seen last year's 12 on sale but don't care for the mint green! I wish the 2018s offered more color choices.

I guess I need to get over the extra comfort in the vertical progressive pivot of the z10s. As DH would say, "just don't fall!"

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this. I had bought some Attack 11s for $45 and was so bummed when I skied them and felt the difference. The 12s and 13s are the same. I love my 12s a lot. Nice bindings.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Salomon Z12s on my drivers and love them, so I put them on a pair of pow skis that are also 108 waist, and I kind of regret it. I like that they are super light weight (still mostly plastic), but they do not feel burly enough for such an aggressive ski, and I wish they sat up just a touch higher. I am thinking about swapping out the bindings for either the attacks or a pair of Look Pivot 12s.

For your decision, I agree with everyone else that this is a good time to graduate to the Attacks :smile:

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yes, this. I had bought some Attack 11s for $45 and was so bummed when I skied them and felt the difference. The 12s and 13s are the same. I love my 12s a lot. Nice bindings.
Good to know, thanks! I did see that the 11 has a different heel piece than the 12 and 13, and which fellow divas have also said has a higher ramp angle. Not sure that I'm good enough to notice it, but apparently that's not a good thing so I'll stick with the new 12s (can't find last year's 13 with the 110 brake cheap enough). Thanks!

Sparky

Angel Diva
I have the Salomon Z12s on my drivers and love them, so I put them on a pair of pow skis that are also 108 waist, and I kind of regret it. I like that they are super light weight (still mostly plastic), but they do not feel burly enough for such an aggressive ski, and I wish they sat up just a touch higher. I am thinking about swapping out the bindings for either the attacks or a pair of Look Pivot 12s.

For your decision, I agree with everyone else that this is a good time to graduate to the Attacks :smile:
Thanks for another vote for the Attacks, I'm feeling pretty good about it now and will go for it. I just wish I didn't have to pay full price! Maybe I'll catch them on sale somewhere before the end of the year.

Btw, I understand the Look Pivots are great, but can be though to get into in deep powder?

Sparky

Angel Diva
I saw the Attack 12s and 13s on sale on Level Nine. Great customer service from them. They are local for me. https://www.levelninesports.com/tyr...gDHWIs8HDKRYaKQ0BFkm9PjJvb5DxmYRoC644QAvD_BwE
Thanks! I think that is one of the sites I saw them on sale and looks like the best deal here. And it seems these were meant to go with the Joy series though not sure who came up with the color. My issue is with the mint green not matching the teal skis. I know, I probably shouldn't care, I'm just being a girl...

Well, what do you divas think of the combo - fun or fugly???

image.jpeg image.jpeg

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go for it.I have the Attack 12s in white and mint mounted on Nordica Enforcers and they are so unmatchy it would make your eyeballs fall out so what do I know!Got them from L9 and really like them.The skis are amazing too-quite a heavy ski and big(185cm) but such fun in all the conditions we had in NZ this season.I do wish they were a better colour though.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Well, what do you divas think of the combo - fun or fugly???

I've seen worse.

That being said, personally I'd see how cheap I can get the Attack 13s in a different color. If it's more than .... *thinking* .... probably $20 difference, I'd say go with the cheaper ones regardless of color.

Edit...And actually that color combo it's that bad...doesn't the Big Joy have that "mint" color as an accent color?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm of the "it makes them stand out in a crowd of skis" train of thought. That being said, Level Nine has the 13s for the same price, but brake width is 95mm. Probably not wide enough

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But you should be able to request a different binding width ... but I think 95 will be wide enough for a 108/110 if bent. @SnowHot ? @volklgirl ?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They only have 85 and 95mm brakes left. I think that's a huge stretch to go to a 110.
The Attack 12s have a wider brake. And they ARE such a cool color :thumbsup:

I'm under the impression you can go up by 20mm, but that may be inadvisable. 10mm no problem. It's better to have a narrower brake than wider if you can get away with it, because it's less likely to snag on your pants or whatever else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly