• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings for 80mm Skis (Stockli Nela)

KateMonster

Diva in Training
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a thinner carving ski for groomers and spring conditions. I currently have my mind set on Stockli Nela 80's, but I am having trouble deciding on which bindings to get. I'd like to stay within 5mm of the width, but I don't know enough about binding adjustments to know what would fit the best. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

If I go to say skiessentials or powder7 they seem to be suggesting 90mm width breaks.

I'll take ski suggestions too. I basically want a carver that has some flexibility in usage since I am on the west coast. I currently ski black pearl 88s.

--
Skill Level: Intermediate Skier - blues and blacks
Weight: 145 lbs with most of the junk in the trunk
Quiver: Black Pearl 88

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Check out the Tyrolia AM 12 GW. I put it on my Liberty V82. Great binding that doesn't get much attention or love from shops but a great deal for the build quality. They are sold in white and black color options. Our shop only had black.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had Solomon Wardens mounted onto my Nelas. They are a fabulous binding . I am quite small and discovered that this heavier binding---compared to a few of my others---actually keeps me grounded on the snow in chop and moguls. I have no issues with them at all .

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out the Tyrolia AM 12 GW. I put it on my Liberty V82. Great binding that doesn't get much attention or love from shops but a great deal for the build quality. They are sold in white and black color options. Our shop only had black.
Recently got the AMs as well! Heard same thing, that they are a great deal given their retail price (plus now are on sale). Have been on them only two days, but don’t have any complaints. :smile: Was having a little fomo not going with the more popular options (Wardens, Tyrolia Attacks) so happy to hear another Diva recommends them.

And not sure if this is well known, but often (always?) if you purchase the skis or bindings at the ski shop, the binding mounting will be discounted.

I got skis online, but bindings at the ski shop and that saved $50 on the mounting.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I didn't have a ton of choices at my local ski shop when buying my Nela 80s in the Fall. I opted for Marker Squire bindings. I don't love them because they are tough to release to get the skis off. As in, I have to push REALLY hard on the heel piece to pop them. I would choose something other than that.

KateMonster

Diva in Training
Recently got the AMs as well! Heard same thing, that they are a great deal given their retail price (plus now are on sale). Have been on them only two days, but don’t have any complaints. :smile: Was having a little fomo not going with the more popular options (Wardens, Tyrolia Attacks) so happy to hear another Diva recommends them.

And not sure if this is well known, but often (always?) if you purchase the skis or bindings at the ski shop, the binding mounting will be discounted.

I got skis online, but bindings at the ski shop and that saved $50 on the mounting.
Oh dang, awesome suggestion! They must be on sale now because they are basically sold out everywhere haha. I'll take that as a good sign :smile:

KateMonster

Diva in Training
I had Solomon Wardens mounted onto my Nelas. They are a fabulous binding . I am quite small and discovered that this heavier binding---compared to a few of my others---actually keeps me grounded on the snow in chop and moguls. I have no issues with them at all .
I have Solomon Wardens on my Black Pearl 88's and love them too!

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To answer the question on width, staying within 5mm should be perfect. I do see that online recommendations say you can go up to 10 or 15mm wider than skis, but the shop techs were definitely trying to stay as close to the width of my skis as possible.

I was surprised that they were debating whether to stretch an 85 binding or go with a 95 for my 92mm wide skis. Perhaps they didn’t realize the next size up was just a 95? They wanted to avoid having the breaks stick out too much. They ended up going with the 95, which of course works perfectly. They stick out plenty so the up to 15mm wider rec does seem excessive.

Was reading up on stretching bindings and sizing and came up on this:

FWIW after way too much research, my short list for bindings also included Warden 11, Tyrolia Attack 11 or if had more $ to burn Tyrolia Protector 11 (latest and greatest that reduces risk of twisting knee injuries). I decided based on price and availability as these are all high quality, popular choices. My stats are similar to yours on weight and type of skiing. My DIN is a 6.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you checked out any of the Look bindings?

RJ*

Angel Diva
I have Strives on my Nela 80. The way they ski is unlike any of my other ski/binding combos. Some of that I’m sure is the ski (the Nela is my favorite) but my impression definitely matches Salomon’s description that the binding gives a very “low to the snow” feeling. It’s light but feels safe, it has stay put when it was supposed to and released when it was supposed to, and clicking in and out is super easy even in deeper snow. I’ll probably be using them on my next pair as well.

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I have Tyrolia Attack 14s (85mm) on my Nela 80s. No complaints about the bindings. Love and would highly recommend these skis; they've excelled for me in any condition and at all speeds. Slow steered turns, fast edged turns, icy hard pack, fresh and tracked out powder (they sink rather than float but are still turny and responsive), baby bumps and glades. Super fun, nimble yet stable; they are making me a better skier.

Reactions: RJ*

Soujan

Angel Diva
For myself, I prefer a binding that has a low stack height. I can't really say that I feel a difference when it comes to the delta. I ended up choosing the Look SPX 12 for my most recent purchase. I have also Attack 14, Griffon, and demo Squires on my others skis.

mustski

Angel Diva
I didn't have a ton of choices at my local ski shop when buying my Nela 80s in the Fall. I opted for Marker Squire bindings. I don't love them because they are tough to release to get the skis off. As in, I have to push REALLY hard on the heel piece to pop them. I would choose something other than that.
Now you can purchase the Squire bindings with the TCX heel and that is super easy to click in and out of. I just replaced my Griffon demos with a pair with the TCX heel and it is night and day different! I wouldn't eliminate the Squires from the list just be sure to get one with a TCX heel.

KateMonster

Diva in Training
I ended up going with the Tyrolia AM 12 GW bindings. Picked them up a few days ago and just got to try them out at Mt. Bachelor during a pretty wild storm.

No complaints so far but WOW do I love the Nelas. I was expecting to struggle more due to the crazy amount of powder, but they tore right through it and were so light and nimble compared to my bp 88s… not to turn this into a Nela review thread haha.

KateMonster

Diva in Training
I have Tyrolia Attack 14s (85mm) on my Nela 80s. No complaints about the bindings. Love and would highly recommend these skis; they've excelled for me in any condition and at all speeds. Slow steered turns, fast edged turns, icy hard pack, fresh and tracked out powder (they sink rather than float but are still turny and responsive), baby bumps and glades. Super fun, nimble yet stable; they are making me a better skier.
I think I’m still riding the high of how impressed I was with them this weekend, but I have to agree. The nimbleness in comparison to my BP 88s was crazy.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Ok, wasn't sure what I was taking to Brian Head this week among these, but your testimony is edging the Nelas as my choice.20230402_201459.jpg

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, wasn't sure what I was taking to Brian Head this week among these, but your testimony is edging the Nelas as my choice.

@Amie H, I have a 2 ski quiver (my others are the 2020 Santa Ana 88s) but I've skied the Nelas almost exclusively since I got them at the end of last season. Other than the performance, the carrying weight is a factor for me; the reason I was on them in a deep powder day last month was because I'm nursing a mild shoulder injury and didn't want to carry the heavier SAs. I was really surprised at how fun they were in those conditions! I had a trip to Banff last month that I unfortunately had to cancel, but was fully planning to bring the Nelas then as well. Hope that you have a great trip regardless of which pair you end up bringing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly