• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings/boots/skins for turning all-mtn skis into resort touring skis

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I own one pair of skis - Rossignol Temptation 84s in 154", weighing 6.9lb according to the internet. I'm thinking of using them as AT skis at resorts in the Northeast next season (yes, this is influenced by the COVID situation), but I would also like the exercise. After this season's intro to backcountry clinic at Bolton Valley with @ilovepugs, I realized that I like skinning, but am not in a hurry to get into true wilderness.

Is this a good idea? If so, should I shop for AT boots/bindings/skins online now, or wait until I can visit a ski shop? I don't know that much about ski equipment and can get overwhelmed with options, and would much rather have an expert orient me and support a local shop, as long as they have a reasonable selection and understand my needs/fitting a woman.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I own one pair of skis - Rossignol Temptation 84s in 154", weighing 6.9lb according to the internet. I'm thinking of using them as AT skis at resorts in the Northeast next season (yes, this is influenced by the COVID situation), but I would also like the exercise. After this season's intro to backcountry clinic at Bolton Valley with @ilovepugs, I realized that I like skinning, but am not in a hurry to get into true wilderness.

Is this a good idea? If so, should I shop for AT boots/bindings/skins online now, or wait until I can visit a ski shop? I don't know that much about ski equipment and can get overwhelmed with options, and would much rather have an expert orient me and support a local shop, as long as they have a reasonable selection and understand my needs/fitting a woman.

I would recommend at least waiting to be able to go to a shop for boots. You can research bindings and skins easily enough online, and there are good sales to be had in general right now. I bought a new pair of hybrid boots, then used an old pair of skis (Rossignol S3W) to transfer over to an AT setup this season. Put a frame binding on, the Marker F10 and went with a Black Diamond Glidelite mohair mix skin. Only got to try the setup out a few times before everything really got shut down, but looking forward to doing more in the future.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@yogiskier, I took an intro to backcountry course last season and loved it as well. Like @MissySki (we took the course together) I took a pair of existing skis (Atomic Elysian) and put a frame touring binding (Marker F12 Tour) on them; I have Pomoca Climb 2.0 skins. At the beginning of this season I purchased a hybrid boot. I lift served a few runs with the setup to test it out on the downhill, and then I then had the opportunity to skin up once before the season came to an abrupt halt due to COVID-19 concerns. I am super excited to do more next season!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly