• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings and bootfitting?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@gingerjess, be aware that the bootfitter may profile you as a candidate for a comfort fit. This is your first boot purchase. You are young and female. The bootfitter may push you to buy a boot that would satisfy most young, female, first purchasers. Just beware. It's a thing. It happened to me multiple times, with highly recommended bootfitters. It took a special bootfitter to realize I really meant what I said I wanted. I was old, female, and relatively new to skiing when those other bootfitters put me into boots-too-wide in the forefoot, too tall over the instep for my low-volume feet, and too long, with wide heels.

Can confirm - happened to me multiple times! That's how I ended up with my first boots being both too big in length, and FAR too wide in last/volume size. For boots #2, I went initially to a place I'd heard good things about, was prepared to buy a boot that day, but received poor service. The fitter didn't even do a shell fit and didn't seem to take me seriously. Luckily by then I'd learned a bit more about boot fitting so I left and started looking further afield. I've spoken to men who reckon that bootfitter is good and couldn't believe I had such a poor experience - "are you sure you were dealing with <name>?" (answer: yes) - but I think because I am female and look young, he didn't treat me like a serious customer at all.

Luckily the next place I went was top notch, so they got all my money :smile:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Thank you to everyone who provided so much helpful advice in this thread! I got fitted by Tej at California Ski Company today for a pair of vacuum-molded Fischer Ranger One* 130s with custom insoles.

The process definitely took a few hours, but at the end of the day, I feel really confident in my new boots and how they'll help me perform on the mountain. I also got a special thank-you for bringing thin socks.

Tej was really professional and definitely believed me when I said I wanted a performance fit; he did a shell fit and took measurements of the free space in each boot we tried. He also listened carefully to the issues I had with my rental boots last season, and explained them in terms of the fit of those boots compared to the new ones.

*this is a wide-lasted boot; that's appropriate because I have wide feet.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
@gingerjess, be aware that the bootfitter may profile you as a candidate for a comfort fit. This is your first boot purchase. You are young and female. The bootfitter may push you to buy a boot that would satisfy most young, female, first purchasers. Just beware. It's a thing. It happened to me multiple times, with highly recommended bootfitters. It took a special bootfitter to realize I really meant what I said I wanted. I was old, female, and relatively new to skiing when those other bootfitters put me into boots-too-wide in the forefoot, too tall over the instep for my low-volume feet, and too long, with wide heels.

Oh there's another term I forgot in that list above.

volume: This is the word for how tall the boot shell is over your foot. It also includes how much air space there will be on top of your foot right where your lower leg rises upward. If your boot has too much volume for your foot's anatomy there will be air there, and you will have trouble tilting the skis to edge them with your feet. There is very little range of motion for your foot as you tilt it inside the boot, or as the boot/ski tries to tilt due to the forces of skiing, so most folks don't pay much attention to it. But controlling this tilt is a precision control thing which you will need if you want good control over your skis. If the boot has too much volume for your foot, and leaves air in there, then when you side-slip your skis will lose their edge despite what your feet do and leave you feeling insecure about sideslipping. This happens while making turns too, but so much is going on in turns that most people don't notice that the loss of edge control is coming from boot fit (volume mis-match). Side-slipping can be used to diagnose this issue. I speak from personal experience -- my feet are very low volume, and it took 6-7 boot purchases, all from different bootfitters who had great reputations, for me to find a bootfitter who paid attention to this anatomical issue of mine. Most men do not have low volume feet. Many women do. Just sayin'.
Liquidfeet has done a great job. We also have a section called "gearpedia" that some Diva's have spend a lot of time developing.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/#post-293253

Add this to your reading.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
This information is so correct. You’re ski boots should fit like a hand in a glove, with thin or no socks, then the boot fitter can punch out any problem tight spots after a couple of wearings. It should be power steering!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna