• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bindings advice

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own the Rossignol Spicy 7's, and while I love them for powder days, I want a groomer/ice day ski. I've got my eye on the Line Pandora 84's. Anyway, when I first bought skis, I sort of didn't think too much about the bindings until I was in the store and the sales guy pushed me to get Marker Squires. I trusted him, and later found out that these bindings have a horrible reputation online, but mostly from men who ski park. I'm 5'7"/130lbs and will never ski park. I haven't had any trouble with them yet, haven't popped out of them when I didn't want to. I would classify myself as an intermediate/advanced skier who does blues and easier blacks, and isn't that aggressive. Another set of these same bindings would be certainly in my price range, but if I believe what I read online, they are ready to fall apart at any moment. I am considering the Salomon Warden 11 bindings instead. Does anyone have any advice here?

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I steered clear of the Warden bindings. My husband did too. The local ski shop agreed we'd be better off with the Tyrolia Attack bindings. I have the 12s and my husband has the 13s. The 11 have a considerable delta btwn heel and toe and felt cheap in construction, so I avoided them. I've heard good things about the Salomon Warden, just so not have experience with them otherthan demo bindings.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh okay cool, I hadn't really considered Tyrolia since it wasn't a brand I'm familiar with. Thanks!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are sensitive to binding delta (how high the toe is compared to the heel), I'd stay away from the Warden 11. The Squires are closer to neutral while the Warden 11 is heel high.
I didn't think I'd care about bindings either until I got the Warden 11 (note I have the Warden 11, not the Warden 11 MNC). Because of the angle they tire my legs out. I am now realizing I feel much better balanced on my other bindings (Salomon Z10 and a Marker system binding where the toe is actually a tiny bit raised)--and it's not the skis--it's the bindings, as I measured how high each is in heel and toe. I also have a pair of Tyrolia Attack 12, which while better than the Warden are still a touch heel high for my taste.
In the past I had a pair of of skis with Marker Squires back when they had a reputation for being hard to step into. My particular pair of Squires was never an issue for me and I've read they are supposed to have fixed the issue.
The other thing about the Squires, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, I think the demo version of the binding has a "better" heel piece than the retail version of the binding. The demo version when I tried it last year was super smooth and easy to step into while the retail version is less so. I think I heard that they were supposed to be giving the retail binding the same heel as the demo but not until this model year or next model year?? I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't know about binding delta! I feel comfortable in the squires, so I don't think I would want something radically different.

The complaints I've seen about the squires is that they pop open at random.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I steered clear of the Warden bindings. My husband did too. The local ski shop agreed we'd be better off with the Tyrolia Attack bindings. I have the 12s and my husband has the 13s. The 11 have a considerable delta btwn heel and toe and felt cheap in construction, so I avoided them. I've heard good things about the Salomon Warden, just so not have experience with them otherthan demo bindings.
My apologies. It was the Marker bindings we were told to steer clear of. Entry was reported to be difficult in powder u also found them really heavy. The Attack bindings are so smooth to step into and have never been an issue. The Wardens were also recommended but were more expensive by $50-60.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I personally really like the Squires and put them on a pair of my skis last season. Used the skis in lots of bumps, so pretty aggressively and no issues whatsoever. Have never had issues clicking in or out of them. :noidea: I also have several skis with attack bindings which are great too.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also a Squire fan. Light weight. Works for me. 9 pairs in the past 10 years between myself and DD.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I trusted him, and later found out that these bindings have a horrible reputation online, but mostly from men who ski park.

BTW some how the squire bindings were good enough for DD to be able to air out of a 22 foot half pipe and secure a spot for Nationals ..... but she is not man size .....

I get it if your over 150 lbs you probably need more ..... @Cyclone6 there is lots of love for different bindings for different reasons. The ski size, your weight and the delta are probably the most important factors when determining what binding would be best.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have never had an inappropriate release from my Squires. They do require a hard step to click in, but not outrageous by any means. I wouldn’t want to have to click in in deep powder, though!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just mounted a brand new set of Squires, and the click in in fantastic now. It is a nice, easy, smooth THUNK and no need to stomp like a hippo at all. They are way better than the demo Squires on my Santa Anas from 2018.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have Squires 2018 on my Black Pearls. They work just fine, but I hated how hard they are to get into. On my Kastles, I had Tyrolias put on and they are easier to get in and out of, but otherwise, I don't notice a difference.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots there is a technique of getting in to a binding in powder .... I'll try to find a video....

Edit

@Sparky has witnessed me using this exact technique with squires ......

This is great! I haven't had the joy of losing a ski in powder yet, and didn't know this technique. (I learned to ski on crummy snow)

I haven't had any trouble getting into my squires under normal circumstances either.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thank you! My 2019 Squires are a bit thumpy but as I said, not a problem in (my) usual conditions. I will have to review this before the next powder day! Wonder when we will get some.
:clap:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I had Squires on skis for years and I never had an issue with durability and have also never had an issue snapping in. If I remember properly, snap-in issues were more prevalent with small boot sizes; I wear a 25.5 and at 5'9"/140s have the leverage as well so perhaps that contributed to my positive experience.

I really like the Tyrolia Attack 12/Attack 13 too. I have a pair of Squires in a box right now, but only because I changed the ski they were on over to a touring setup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna