• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Binding Din help needed

Trish

Diva in Training
All my skis have Din11 bindings, but I recently got recommended Din13. These are Marker Griffon. I have Din11 Marker Squire on some other skis. I’m 5’5”, 155LB and almost 60. I ski fast - I ski Telluride black diamonds, and keep up with the guys. I want what’s going to give me the most speed, and safety. The new skis are Blizzard Sheeva 10. 164cm. PROBLEM. The Marker Griffon 13 bindings weigh a pound (1/2 pound each) more than the Din11. Will this extra weight help or hurt? Should I return these and get a lighter weight, lower Din binding. My setting has been low, 6, forever, so that isn’t a factor. Thoughts? Thanks!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are charging hard and fast at Telluride, I'd think more weight would be a benefit. Heavier skis are usually liked for fast skiing in snow that wants to deflect your skis. I don't know Telluride. If it usually or always has light powder, the lighter bindings might be the better choice. They will definitely make carrying the skis from the parking lot easier.

The functional difference between these two bindings for you, since you're still going to set the binding at 6, will be the housing. The DIN 13 has got more metal in its body, while the DIN 11 has more plastic. Thus the weight difference. Metal doesn't bend or wear out or break as willingly as plastic, and it lasts longer.

Does DIN 13 have a plate beneath it that is adding to its weight? When I look online I don't see one. That leaves the housing as the only reason for the extra weight. And maybe the thickness of the spring.

Jilly

Staff member
For safety sake, your DIN setting should be in the middle of the range. That plus the weight factor would be my determining values on which binding.

I have Markar on my Nordica's. Have to look and see what it is.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Either one should be fine for you. If you've been using the Squire on other skis, and you like them...I think that's a safe bet. They're a bit cheaper, and lighter than the Griffon. But...of course there's another side of the coin...The Griffon will give you a slightly more "solid" feel to it, this is due to the extra metal (as liquidfeet describes above). This more solid feel might give you a more confident feeling when charging at higher speeds. While you'll be fine on the Squires if you're already using them, this could be a scenario where if you've never tried the Griffons, you might just not know what you don't know.

Trish

Diva in Training
If you are charging hard and fast at Telluride, I'd think more weight would be a benefit. Heavier skis are usually liked for fast skiing in snow that wants to deflect your skis. I don't know Telluride. If it usually or always has light powder, the lighter bindings might be the better choice. They will definitely make carrying the skis from the parking lot easier.

The functional difference between these two bindings for you, since you're still going to set the binding at 6, will be the housing. The DIN 13 has got more metal in its body, while the DIN 11 has more plastic. Thus the weight difference. Metal doesn't bend or wear out or break as willingly as plastic, and it lasts longer.

Does DIN 13 have a plate beneath it that is adding to its weight? When I look online I don't see one. That leaves the housing as the only reason for the extra weight. And maybe the thickness of the spring.
Thank you. I didn’t see a plate in the box either. We’ve had about two heavy powder days in the past two years. Maybe a bit more weight would help to plow through that knee deep heavy stuff?

Trish

Diva in Training
Either one should be fine for you. If you've been using the Squire on other skis, and you like them...I think that's a safe bet. They're a bit cheaper, and lighter than the Griffon. But...of course there's another side of the coin...The Griffon will give you a slightly more "solid" feel to it, this is due to the extra metal (as liquidfeet describes above). This more solid feel might give you a more confident feeling when charging at higher speeds. While you'll be fine on the Squires if you're already using them, this could be a scenario where if you've never tried the Griffons, you might just not know what you don't know.
Thank you. Confidence is definitely a consideration! A more solid feel sounds pretty good.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you. I didn’t see a plate in the box either. We’ve had about two heavy powder days in the past two years. Maybe a bit more weight would help to plow through that knee deep heavy stuff?
Yeah, that's the idea. Weight helps with the "plowing."

Here's what one shop offering the Blizzard Shiva 10 says about it:
  • A hard-charging daily driver for blasting around the resort
  • Versatile 102mm waist rips up firm, fresh, and chop
  • Rockered profile floats like a dream in fresh snow
  • DRT Titanal layer underfoot adds stability and power
  • Beech and poplar offer power, durability, and damping
So I don't think the binding will be too much for the ski. Sometimes this can be an issue, but it looks like that won't be a problem here.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, that's the idea. Weight helps with the "plowing."

Here's what one shop offering the Blizzard Shiva 10 says about it:
  • A hard-charging daily driver for blasting around the resort
  • Versatile 102mm waist rips up firm, fresh, and chop
  • Rockered profile floats like a dream in fresh snow
  • DRT Titanal layer underfoot adds stability and power
  • Beech and poplar offer power, durability, and damping
So I don't think the binding will be too much for the ski. Sometimes this can be an issue, but it looks like that won't be a problem here.
Hope my new to me Blizzard Sheeva 10's live up to that description....

• Love
Reactions: AJM

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Generally higher din range is a more solid binding is my understanding. More weight also generally means more ability to go through stuff rather than getting bounced.
The other consideration not mentioned yet is different binding ramp height/delta i.e. height on heel vs toe. I think previously the Squires have been noted to be flatter than the Griffons which had 4mm of difference - but this may have changed with recent versions.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I added ( not my first choice by any means) a heavier binding to a new pair of skis last season I was pleasantly surprised with the benefit of the added weight . I am really small and was afraid the big ugly binding--Salomon Warden---create a negative impact. It has actually made my skiing feel more solid underfoot and has kept me connected to the snow rather than getting tossed around . I feel more in control of my movements.

s

Trish

Diva in Training
I chose the Squire 11 bindings. Why? I’d made my choice to keep the 13s and two ski shop pros gathered around to inquire why when I brought them in. I didn’t ask for their advice. We decided the 11s were beefy enough. Losing the extra weight (half pound each) might be nice for the long slow chair lifts here. Saved about $60 too. We’ll see…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly