• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Biking software

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I recently started using Strava to keep track of my rides (I road bike), and for the most part, I like it pretty well. It gives me distance, time,, my average speed, my fastest speed, and the elevation gained. The last thing -- elevation gain -- I think is a bit wacky. I've been on rides that I'm sure have more elevation gains than others, yet it shows less. I don't know -- maybe it's me, but I don't think so. Anyone else have this experience? Or do you use something else?

altagirl

Staff member
I just use my Fitbit surge with GPS, which puts the data on a terrain map.

The funny thing is that I like the competitive aspect of my fitbit (just time spent getting of my butt, basically), but won't use Strava because of the competitive aspect. I see too much bad mountain bike behavior from people who feel their Strava time is more important than trail etiquette or other people's safety.

altagirl

Staff member
I've also used map my ride, but that was before I had a GPS enabled fitbit. That seemed to work well too.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a Fitbit, and the only one I'm competitive with in cycling is myself, so I don't have that type of problem -- though I can see how it would be.

I do like the idea of a terrain map, though. Strava has an elevation graph, which is good, too:

IMG_4337.jpg

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Garmin Connect with my Forerunner. It's GPS-enabled, plus I have a speed/cadence sensor, so I get a map plus all the speed, elevation, and cadence graphs.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I use Strava, mostly to track milieage and elevations. If I get a QOM it's a pleasant surprise and you can be sure there aren't a lot of female riders on that section of trail. As Altagirl says, "stravaholes" can be a real drag.

"stravaholes" can be a real drag.

:rotf:

I must share this with my friend who uses strava. She'll love that word. She's probably heard of it but it makes me giggle.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I use Strava too - I don't follow anyone or let anyone follow me - it's really just for me. I like how I can compare all my rides over the years, and see if I'm getting faster, or having a bad day etc... However, I will confess that I also sometimes troll other people's profiles to get ideas for rides, or new routes :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So I just started using Ride With GPS, and I think I like it better than Strava. The metrics, and the interface with the metrics, is much better. Highly recommend.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While Strave is a great app, I, like @altagirl have some reservations about the behavior it incites in people. Have been yelled at to get out of the way on a descent. Pretty sure it was a Stravahole moment.

I love Runtastic MTB pro version for my androir. It synchs with my heart monitor, gives me good readouts on google earth, etc.... The verbal motivations can thankfully be turned off.

This bumper sticker from my local bike shop...currently on my camper shell door!
IMG_20160706_071148973.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I use Strava too - I don't follow anyone or let anyone follow me - it's really just for me. I like how I can compare all my rides over the years, and see if I'm getting faster, or having a bad day etc... However, I will confess that I also sometimes troll other people's profiles to get ideas for rides, or new routes :smile:

Yeah, I'm the same way. I mean, until this thread started, I didn't even realize that people were so competitive about it! I do share my rides on FB because I have some friends who are interested. But it's not a competitive thing for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna