• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big White

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Ladies. We're thinking of going to Big White next year. Any advice on where to stay - best area within the resort and accommodation suggestions? We need full kitchen and easy access to the village for non skiers (including toddler).
Thanks!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We stayed at the White Crystal Inn a few years ago in a kitchenette unit. Very handy to everything as I remember, and you could ski right to the door - not to mention watch the snow cats grooming the slopes after dark. It's on the same level as the main village, and there's a gondola from the village down to the Happy Valley area, which I think has a kids activity centre.

There used to be a good pizza place there and the pub was ok, but you'd want to buy food down in Kelowna or Vernon if you're self-catering.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
We have found some amazing big condos/chalets on alluradirect. Has anyone used them? Having had an airbnb host cancel our stay once before we are a bit anxious about booking an owners holiday home again... but they are such amazing value. Is there cause for concern?

marzNC

Angel Diva
We have found some amazing big condos/chalets on alluradirect. Has anyone used them? Having had an airbnb host cancel our stay once before we are a bit anxious about booking an owners holiday home again... but they are such amazing value. Is there cause for concern?
@alison wong has a lot of good experience with AirBnB.

I've used VRBO a fair amount. For both VRBO and AirBnB, it's possible to have enough interaction via email/messaging or even a phone call to get a sense of the owner before making a commitment. What I tend to do is ask a question or two for which I know the answer already. For instance, how far the slopes are in terms of walking time or what advice they have for parking.

alison wong

Angel Diva
We have found some amazing big condos/chalets on alluradirect
I heard many +ve experiences w/ Alluradirect as well. However, my understanding is that, it only serves few locations in Canada, e.g. Whistler Blackcomb. Therefore options are quite limited.

@alison wong has a lot of good experience with AirBnB.

I did, both here in the U.S. and overseas (Spain, Iceland). Of my 10 stays with AirBnB since 2013, I never experienced any cancellations from AirBnB owners. When I am looking for places on AirBnB, I do pay attention to their booking history, whether or not they have cancellations or not in the past. Also, if you are going to reserve through AirBnB, make sure you pay attention to the cancellation policy, each property owner is different: it ranges from Flexible to Strict. I tend to avoid the ones with strict cancellation policy unless I am 100% certain on my travel dates.

My friend has her property listed on both VRBO and AirBnB. I remembered she mentioned to me that if someone booked her place from AirBnB, then she needed to remember to update on VRBO as well. Otherwise, the property may end up double booked. You mentioned you had a cancellation on AirBnB, I wonder if it is because of double booking and the owner had to cancel one?
She also said that AirBnB and VRBO are actually very similar in terms of business model but the website operates on different platforms.

The property I stayed in Taos last season, I noticed the owner posted his place on both AirBnB and VRBO (I booked through VRBO).

Christy

Angel Diva
Too late for the original poster, but I've used allura direct dozens of times at Whistler and they are a very reputable company. They would be the first place I would look when renting a condo in any of the other BC ski resorts.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Yes! We've booked a 3bed Condo (with AlluraDirect) for the end of Feb/beginning of March. Soooo looking forward to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna