• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big toe and dorsiflexion

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just got in from the first decent day of skiing in a week! The whole time out there I was thinking about my big toe. This is good.

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome! I played with this at Copper toady, and it was totally cool. Yeaterday, I had lunch with Jonathan Lawson. If you come to Breck, he would be a great instructor to take class from!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Please be sure to tell him how much I enjoyed his video. Short, simple, and easy to understand. Will he be doing any others?

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This may be unpopular, but i had to laugh when I saw this video.
Basically, this guy has repackaged Harald Harb's concepts. Instead of lift and tip the little toe edge, you dorsiflex the big toe and roll. Same concepts, reworded. But the edging he demonstrates when using both legs together on the quite lovely area rug, there is wide discrepancy on angulation with consequent uneven pressure.
I applaud him for moving forward in ski teaching, but it is nothing new.

However, if he and other teachers first introduce this concept, rather
than the wedge, then he has my full support. I have spent a small fortune trying to rid myself of that damn wedge. I wish I had never been taught it.
Lynn

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva: I just got an email from Jonathan. He wanted to thank you for taking the time to play with this idea!:smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Lynn said:
This may be unpopular, but i had to laugh when I saw this video.
Basically, this guy has repackaged Harald Harb's concepts. Instead of lift and tip the little toe edge, you dorsiflex the big toe and roll. Same concepts, reworded. But the edging he demonstrates when using both legs together on the quite lovely area rug, there is wide discrepancy on angulation with consequent uneven pressure.
I applaud him for moving forward in ski teaching, but it is nothing new.

However, if he and other teachers first introduce this concept, rather
than the wedge, then he has my full support. I have spent a small fortune trying to rid myself of that damn wedge. I wish I had never been taught it.
Lynn
Any of the instructors here care to comment?

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question: are modern ski turns started using the....BIG TOE????:eek:

Signed,
Retro Skier

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As an instructor I like a variety of ways to get our students to move into the new turn.Its just a different explanation of tipping the new inside ski.Why would that be repackaging HH? His analogy of the fighter jets is cool too. And on top of that he is playing Dave Matthews in the background!!

Terry

cnewbound

Certified Ski Diva
Also as an instructor I have to say that I agree with Tcarey about having new and different ways of explaining certain movements to my students... one explanation or analogy may not work for everyone as we all learn and ski differenly.

I really liked it.
Crystel

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with you that different words work for different folks. Sometimes just hearing a concept said in a different way helps it to "connect" in the brain. Same concept, different words.
I would point out, that if you have custom fit boots, lifting that toe may not be possible.

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with my american cousins on this discussion. The CSIA starts with tip the ankle. Well that gets different results. Big toe or what ever works is sometimes better. For years my Hubby couldn't get the hand position up. Ride your bike, pick up a case of beer, he couldn't get it. Finally one instructor asked him what he did for a living, construction, well pick up your wheelbarrow and lets go. Same position, different explaination that worked. (well sometimes!!??) When teaching we have to sort out if the student is understanding just what we are getting at. Reword it and see if the student understands that statement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna