• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Snow Resort (Midwest - Upper Michigan) March 1-2, 2019

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Midwest skiing is perfect for those of us who have lived at low altitudes our entire lives and are prone to altitude sickness. With that said, and with absolutely no offense meant toward the mountain divas, I doubt I'll go back to the mountains for skiing after this trip. Blackjack and Indianhead are so close to each other that when you're standing at the top of one hill, you can see many of the runs on the other hill. They merged several years ago to become Big Snow Resort, which seems to be really good for business.

We rented a one-bedroom condo right at Blackjack at the top of the beginner hill. We didn't take advantage of ski-in/out because a rope tow at the end of the day just doesn't seem like fun, but parking was 5 minutes away, and right at the edge of the snow with about a 100 yard walk/skate to the lift. I got a killer deal on the condo for $120/night.

First of all, the condo was wonderful. There was plenty of room for the two of us, it was nicely decorated, and there was a hot tub in the basement of the building. They had a boot tray for us and a ski locker outside (which we didn't use, since we kept our skis in the car). Since the condo was booked through the resort, we were allowed to take advantage of all the amenities at the main lodge (a few miles away, but nice if you have a non-skier with you).

We prepurchased lift tickets online, which we picked up when we checked in, so didn't have to wait in the mornings. Also paid $70 less than if we had paid the daily lift price. Overall, lift tickets were comparable in price to our small hills 5 hours to the south, or about $47.50 per day per person.

Last time I went to Indianhead two years ago, I had woken up sick as heck and skied about 4 runs before giving up. This time, I had to stop when my glutes started burning after a good day of skiing. Friday started as a bluebird day, and hubby was great about making sure I wouldn't psych myself out over "black diamond" runs. I warmed up with a long, blue run with a nice drop at the end, and we quickly worked our way over to the expert side of the hill. Unfortunately, one or two lifts were closed since it was a weekday, but we still had access to most of those areas from the lift we were riding. Clouds rolled in and it started snowing around noon, and ended up snowing about 6" throughout the rest of the day and night. The chili at the Sky Bar was delicious and hearty.

Day two, I woke up a little nervous, because I had never skied Blackjack before and maybe because I was afraid of powder, because my only experience with powder has either been big piles of manufactured snow, or big piles of wet, heavy snow that feel like hitting a stump underfoot when you try to ride over or through. Saturday was another bluebird day and this was powder - pure fluffy powder - sheer joy. Ok Divas...I get it! Hubby convinced me to take one run in the knee deep powder, and although it was work for my groomer-acclimated legs, it was still a joy to ski, and a HUGE confidence booster. He got himself into some hip deep stuff and got a little spooked, but managed to work his way out of it.

Apres ski both nights was a lot of fun. Sitting in the bar, we made friends with the guys in the condo next door to ours, before we realized we were all in the same building. Friday, there was a singer/comedian in the sky bar who had us doubled over with laughter. Saturday, we stayed a little while to listen to the singer at the Blackjack bar, but we were both so exhausted we ended up grabbing a bite and heading back to the condo to rest in the hot tub. One of the neighbors had gone back to make apple crisp for his buddies, and was lamenting there was no whisk to make whipped cream. We had a whisk and duct taped it to their door. We heard their cries of joy at discovering the whisk when they arrived back to the condo, and several minutes later, one of them appeared downstairs with two big bowls of fresh apple crisp topped with fresh whipped cream. (I suppose it's the little things.)

Divas, this has been a rough year that started with the loss of my mother in mid-January, which is why we ended up postponing the trip a month. When looking back through the resort calendar, I noticed that the original weekend we had planned on going, half the hills were closed for racing, so I would have been frustrated and disappointed. As it stands, it was as close to a perfect vacation as we've ever had.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Inoffensive Nickname - so sorry for the loss of your mother. It's....hard.

As to Big Snow Country, I am familiar! And it brings back many lovely memories of trips from my Midwest skiing years. DH got his Level 2 cert at Indianhead (omg, decades ago). Years later, DS got his Level 2 cert at Blackjack.

Yes to the powder up there. :clap: Mighty good.
Sounds like you had a great trip!
Next time, give Powderhorn a try, maybe a trip over to Porcupine Mts (beautiful area), keeping in mind that they ARE on eastern time.
I've heard that Whitecap is closed. :frown: Too bad - that's a fun little place as well - not as much vertical as the others, but a wildly interesting layout. Hope it gets bought/reopened.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Despite living here I have never skied the UP. Sounds like I should try it!
Kind of a roundabout trip for you. But really worth it for the sheer quality of the snow there. It's western-like powder: dry and plenty of it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Kind of a roundabout trip for you. But really worth it for the sheer quality of the snow there. It's western-like powder: dry and plenty of it.
Hard to get excited for a 10+ hour drive. I only have one of those in me a season - this one goes to Tremblant and Sugarbush.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hard to get excited for a 10+ hour drive. I only have one of those in me a season - this one goes to Tremblant and Sugarbush.
Hear ya. You will not be disappointed in your destination! Tons of snow this year. Alas, DH has a PSIA event that conflicts with Diva East. :frown: I kind of figured that might be the case <sigh> One of these years...
Enjoy. He did his last event at Sugarbush - and loved it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Glad there’s snow - hoping we have a dry drive out, though. Too bad you can’t make Diva East - would be fun to meet in person!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Jenny - hope you have a dry drive to Diva East! UP Michigan is in the Lake Superior snowbelt. Signs and promotions call it "Big Snow Country." Average annual snowfall is 250". By comparison, here at Sugarloaf, we've just crested 215" - and we're buried.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MaineSkiLady Thank you. I skied Powderhorn the first day on the last trip where I ended up sick. I fell in love with UP skiing that day. I heard that the lodge at Whitecap burned down but the lifts were still open. I've also heard that the Porkies are expert skiing, so haven't been inclined to try it out since I'm a chicken intermediate, at best.

Looking at the pics on Facebook of Diva East, I am completely jealous and have started my campaign to get DH to take me there maybe next season. I should have paid better attention to the forums, because I might have been able to afford it this year. Unfortunately, cost is a big factor for us, but the UP turned out to be a fantastic budget trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna