• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Sky is going to charge separately for Tram access next season!?!?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I saw this on Facebook earlier, and then went and confirmed this is accurate on Big Sky's website. I was hoping it was from an April Fool's joke. I mean, I'm not planning to ski there next season most likely, but eventually I will because it's one of my favorite places. Having to add on to Ikon each day is quite the drag.

Starting Winter 2021-22, access to the Lone Peak Tram for lift tickets, Ikon & Mountain Collective passes, and most Big Sky Resort season passes will not be included. To access the Tram, an add-on product of $20-$80 will be required. This initiative supports our goal of providing guests an elevated experience to the high-alpine terrain available and help alleviate wait times for the Tram.

Gold season passes will still have unlimited Tram access, and the Double Black Pass will include 10 days of Tram access throughout the season.

For more info go here:

https://bigskyresort.com/season-pas...HY7ts7y6WGDWeMk6eQEVfzr1gSlvMOU_To_7h8HbqUZHs

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
That's a huge bummer!!! Big Sky is on my agenda for next year.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's a huge bummer!!! Big Sky is on my agenda for next year.

The views from Lone Peak are not to be missed on a clear day. I'd still encourage you to go up for sure! Totally stinks that places are going to start pulling things apart like this though..

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I guess slicing and dicing is a lot easier with being able to impose access restrictions via RFID cards. I'm just glad Big Sky isn't excluded from the base pass entirely or included only as a separate add-on!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I guess slicing and dicing is a lot easier with being able to impose access restrictions via RFID cards. I'm just glad Big Sky isn't excluded from the base pass entirely or included only as a separate add-on!

Right, like Jackson Hole and Aspen now.. I'd be REALLY upset if I were a passholder there though! Or maybe not if it'll improve the experience and you are okay with upgrading to their gold pass from a lower tier.

Christy

Angel Diva
When Crystal first built the gondola they charged more for gondola access. You could buy a regular lift ticket, or lift ticket plus gondola. You can get to the top where the gondola lets out via three lift rides, so you can still get there, it just takes longer. I think the extra cost went away when Alterra bought Crystal.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When Crystal first built the gondola they charged more for gondola access. You could buy a regular lift ticket, or lift ticket plus gondola. You can get to the top where the gondola lets out via three lift rides, so you can still get there, it just takes longer. I think the extra cost went away when Alterra bought Crystal.

I could at least see this with other lifts bringing you to the same place. I hate gondolas so I would have passed if there were another way up haha.

Jilly

Staff member
I've never been to Big Sky, but if it's only expert terrain, then the added cost may keep skiers away that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

We see a lot of that at Le Edge, Tremblant. The terrain is expert only, it's posted expert only, but the next thing you know, someone is wedging down Action.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've never been to Big Sky, but if it's only expert terrain, then the added cost may keep skiers away that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

We see a lot of that at Le Edge, Tremblant. The terrain is expert only, it's posted expert only, but the next thing you know, someone is wedging down Action.

While it is expert terrain I'd argue that everyone should go up for the views, you can actually ride back down in the tram if you don't want to ski it. Lots of people do that, I've even done it myself when someone in my group didn't want to ski down on a particular day.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So is this a trend? Are ski areas going to charge for access to specific lifts now?

marzNC

Angel Diva
There was a time that Snowbird charged more for a season pass that included the Tram. However, there are alternate ways to get to most of the terrain.

For those unfamiliar with Jackson Hole, Snowbird, and Big Sky, there is a big difference between the 100-person trams at JH and Snowbird and the "can tram" at Big Sky that has a capacity of 15. That's the same capacity as the tram at Snowbasin.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think I read that the wait for the Big Sky tram to the top of Lone Peak was getting to be more than an hour pretty regularly. Probably there were some skiers/boarders who were wondering why Boyne was still allowing people to take up space who were only going up for the view. Since the tram is often closed due to weather and has limited hours even on nice days, the number of people who could head up to enjoy the slopes was pretty small.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve never been to Big Sky. Is there anything mere mortals can ski from the top of the Lone Peak Tram? Based on trail map all ways down appear to be triple-black-diamond.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think I read that the wait for the Big Sky tram to the top of Lone Peak was getting to be more than an hour pretty regularly. Probably there were some skiers/boarders who were wondering why Boyne was still allowing people to take up space who were only going up for the view. Since the tram is often closed due to weather and has limited hours even on nice days, the number of people who could head up to enjoy the slopes was pretty small.

I can't say I agree with the "taking up space" piece though. At least currently with everyone paying the same for a ticket, who cares why someone is riding up? People may still want to pay extra to go up just for the view or for whatever reason, they have as much right to do so as someone who wants to ski it I'd think.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve never been to Big Sky. Is there anything mere mortals can ski from the top of the Lone Peak Tram? Based on trail map all ways down appear to be triple-black-diamond.

I went looking back on some posts I made during the 2016 Diva West trip to see what else I skied up there. I did Lenin as well which is rated double black, I didn't do Marx but believe it is similar and others in the group did that too. Don't remember them being anything crazy either, they are steep for sure but so wide open which is helpful and I haven't been on them in less than great snow or a powder day so that likely helps a lot!

We also did the Cold Water chute off of the Headwaters lift and that's rated a double black but was WAY steeper/narrower/scarier to me than anything else I've ever done skiing. Ever. My heart was definitely beating out of my chest on that one. It was the narrowness and rocks that were scariest combined with the steepness, definitely a no fall zone. A group of us did it once, and it was fine but then someone said wanna do it again and I was like HELL NO! lol I survived it once, I'm all set with chutes for the time being. :scared: I think the Headwaters area is really great though, you get the steeps without the lines for the tram which is great.

That was a really great Diva West trip!! One of those that really pushed my comfort zone boundaries skiing with other divas and diva dudes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response! Big Sky is on my list of ski areas I would someday like to visit (such a long list).

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's really fantastic. You should keep it very high on your list for sure! There truly are so many options for any level of skier too, so no worries if anyone in your group isn't into steeps or ungroomed terrain etc. because there is plenty of everything. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't say I agree with the "taking up space" piece though. At least currently with everyone paying the same for a ticket, who cares why someone is riding up? People may still want to pay extra to go up just for the view or for whatever reason, they have as much right to do so as someone who wants to ski it I'd think.
The charge to buy a separate ticket to ride the Whiteface gondola or Snowbird tram is a bit of a premium compared to getting a ride as part of a lift ticket.

The Big Sky tram serves a lot of relatively unique advanced/expert terrain that is part of the draw for some people make the trek to Montana. I can see why a traveler who has made the effort to get there could be a little annoyed to have to wait an additional tram or three because there are a bunch of people in the line who are riding up without skis, especially on a blue sky day after a powder storm.

Note that I'm just speculating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly