• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Sky: "honest" trail map?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In comparison to other destination resorts I've been to in the west, Big Sky has by far more rocks on trails. They keep falling all season. Not just a matter of thin cover, as can be the case in some places. I remember seeing rocks on the traverses below steep terrain during both trips (2012, 2013). Will keep an eye out next week.

As with any assessment of a large mountain, some of the comments are dead on and others reflect the personal bias of the creator.

What's impossible to appreciate until you take a few runs at any mountain is the scale of the trail map. Big Sky is huge! It's both wide and tall. It takes a good 15-20 min to get from one major section to another. Say from the main base to Shedhorn, or getting back to the main base from the edge of Moonlight. Even Moonlight Basin by itself is as big as some ski resorts. It was, after all, an independent ski resort for quite a while. I could easily spend an entire day on Andesite Mtn and not get bored. And that was before Ram8 existed. I was starting to explore bumps and trees. There were good places to explore solo, as well as terrain that I would only do with more advanced friends during my first trip in 2012.

Have you skied at Snowmass?

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The rocks at Big Sky seem to be of a sharp, shale-like consistency, not rounded like typical gravel. I believe they migrate upwards pretty much all season long. Here, they are in thin areas early season, then go away. There? They seem to be everywhere and it's not "safe" to think "it's loose, no biggie". Yes, they are loose but they are sharp. Maybe they are lighter for their size? Just keep an eye out and try to avoid them.

And yes, Big Sky is pretty overwhelming in size.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Only been once...skied 4 days...Yes. Rocks. Lots of rocks. Specifically in the red area...but everywhere as well.

A local told me that "if you live there and you don't own rock skis, you will."

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve noticed Big Sky has added more “hidden obstacles” signs this season so if you’re heading toward rocks, they’re trying better to prepare you. In the old days, you just had to remember to steer clear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna