• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Event impact on ski season?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Just realized my 23-24 season may be compressed.

Holy cow, as I work on this project plan, I'm realizing how much time I'm going to need working on stuff for my daughter's Sept 2024 wedding. Both church & reception venue are in downtown Chicago, which is somewhat but not 100% convenient for me as it's a long slog on the train & bus to get there. Driving downtown is a nightmare rn bc of construction.

I think it's highly likely I might only do a partial Beaver Creek week, and then a few drive-up weekends in WI (Dells area.) MAYBE a Reno/Tahoe junket if the dates work out. I can't imagine I'll have time to research and try anywhere new. Because, really, the PLANNING of these new-to-me trips I take require a lot of time, plus video editing of go-pro footage when I get home.

Has anyone planned a wedding (self or child) and if so, how did it impact your ski season before the event?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just realized my 23-24 season may be compressed.

Holy cow, as I work on this project plan, I'm realizing how much time I'm going to need working on stuff for my daughter's Sept 2024 wedding. Both church & reception venue are in downtown Chicago, which is somewhat but not 100% convenient for me as it's a long slog on the train & bus to get there. Driving downtown is a nightmare rn bc of construction.

I think it's highly likely I might only do a partial Beaver Creek week, and then a few drive-up weekends in WI (Dells area.) MAYBE a Reno/Tahoe junket if the dates work out. I can't imagine I'll have time to research and try anywhere new. Because, really, the PLANNING of these new-to-me trips I take require a lot of time, plus video editing of go-pro footage when I get home.

Has anyone planned a wedding (self or child) and if so, how did it impact your ski season before the event?
You can make it work! :smile: I was working full time, doing my MBA at night, had a new puppy, AND planned a wedding at the same time.

You got this. :wink:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations to your daughter and here's hoping it's a great event.

Honestly, planning my wedding took very little time as frankly, it's not something I was prepared to spend big time and money doing. To me, my wedding was something that was a bit of a laugh with family but not a big event that needed me to be visiting sites and having rehearsals blah blah. Everything - literally EVERYTHING was done remotely with the exception of the dress which was the first one I tried on. If you're prepared to delegate then it's something that doesn't need masses of attention so it's really up to your comfort level in how much of your time it takes off you.

The one fly in the ointment was that the venue burned down in bushfires with six weeks to go and it was a bit of a rush re-arranging, but we ended up getting married in a ski chalet near Mt Beauty and our honeymoon was skiing in NZ, so in reality we got an extended season because of it. The bulk of that was arranged in one week only

elemmac

Angel Diva
I was working full time when planning my wedding (with an hour commute each direction)...and I suck at delegating, so did a lot of the work myself. Mine was also a September wedding, and I'll say that it didn't interfere with my ski season at all. With the exception of a couple in person meetings with the coordinator, photographer, and DJ...everything was done remotely.

You sound a lot like me when it comes to planning (and I often edit Go-Pro videos after trips, like you mentioned). The nice thing is video editing can wait until you have time (I still need to start going through footage from Austria from March). Stick to easy to plan destinations for skiing if planning a ski trip on top of wedding planning is going to stress you out. Whether this is somewhere you've been before or just easy in/out places.

Small tidbit, which is the best advice I got when planning my wedding: Do NOT start anything new in the week leading up to the wedding...if it's not done by then, it probably doesn't matter. Keep that time for emergency changes in plans and relaxing up to the day.

Congrats to your daughter! I'm sure it'll be an amazing day.

Amie H

Angel Diva
This is a smaller wedding size-wise, but on the posh side (In Chicago's Gold Coast). Virtually everyone is coming from out-of-state. There will be lots of events like shower(s), dress fittings, vendor meetings, possibly meeting groom's parents (I've talked to the mother but not met them in person -most of relationship was during Covid.) One of the time uses, I KNOW will be my mom talking on the phone w me multiple times a week about it!!! :wink:

I guess I feel like, as of now, I want to keep my calendar as open as possible - meaning not trying to fit in new-to-me adventure spots, even though that one of my favorite things to do.
On top of this, I have the usual eldercare of my MIL, plus my job.

@Eera goodness, how did you find a new venue in time?!

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, Congrats to your daughter.

Now, fall 2021 and winter 2022 I was training for a world class dragon boat race. And working full time. And trying to get some skiing in. I have a seasonal rental, so things are a little easier as I leave most of my stuff there. I didn't the usual number of days in that winter, but going to a world championship meant more to me.

You can manage your time. And it's only 1 winter. Remember the skiing you miss many years go because of her, lol!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Yes, I'll keep that in mind and look forward to LOTS of snow visits in '24-'25!!!

Most of you folks know I work in a 2-person small business so I can't really take much time off at all, nor can my boss. It's his 50th year in the industry next year, so a small chance he'll retire which would mean I could "retire" for a few months at least, which would be a boon.

As long as I can use the 4 days on my Epic pass plus a few Wilmot days, a Cascade and DH weekend, I'll consider that a win!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna