• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Bear/ Snow Summit 15/16

mustski

Angel Diva
I ski there every weekend so I am happy to update the conditions as I find them. Last weekend was softening as the day warmed up, but the snow held up surprisingly good for the temps. The new website is not kept up to date - Timber Ridge was most definitely NOT open.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it curious that their website is out of date. It's the first season of the Cali4nia pass.

mustski

Angel Diva
I find it curious that their website is out of date. It's the first season of the Cali4nia pass.
It's the 2nd season of the Cali4nia pass but the first year Mammoth has been running the joint. There have been some definite problems at SS. No one knew how to use the buddy pass; no one knew how much of a discount for food if any; my Cali4nia pass had my picture but the id number of a teenage boy; all the parking in the lot is now VIP (weekends anyway) and everyone else has to park on the street. They just are not keeping up with customer service period. SS always had awesome customer service. The folks who work there are still terrific. They just lack training and management seems non-existent.

:focus:

mustski

Angel Diva
Correction: I contacted SS regarding the parking last weekend. Apparently it was a snafu with the toll out of the new parking plan. VIP has been expanded but only from 1 row to 3 rows. The rest of the lot remains first come, first served.

mustski

Angel Diva
SS skied beautifully yesterday, with 4" of freshies. They blew all day and I am hoping they will open Timber Ridge today. The mornings remain uncrowded.

mustski

Angel Diva
SS opened the bowls today and also chair 10. Everything (except 10) skied REALLY well. The snow was great all day! It was the longest day I have skied in BB in 4 years. Chair 10 was a death cookie zone, but I expect the groomers will fix that tonight. SS is opening at 8:45 during the holidays. The parking was crazy but the crowds on mountain were minimal.

And- it's snowing!

mustski

Angel Diva
12/21
SS continues to ski well. With 4" of fresh and nearly the whole mountain open and freshly groomed last night, it was skiing fast this morning. More snow is expected tonight, but the "R" word has been whispered for tomorrow.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
12/31 - The Good: Great conditions. It was cold so the snow stayed nice the whole time. Big Bear Lake was an amazing electric blue off in the distance. Edit: the middle of the mountain was crowded, as was the family fun zone, but elsewhere no lines and great snow. We got a lot of skiing in, a great day. Chair 3 was lots of fun, and Chair 10 was fantastic!

We left home around 7am, and had to park down in the lot off the main road and take the cattle car shuttle up to the ski area. Alternative was to pay $20 for V.I.P. parking in the formerly free lot. Edit: I read what @mustski wrote about parking, but to be honest it wasn't clear what rows were free. It was a zoo in the parking area on our arrival and on departing.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
12/31 -
We left home around 7am, and had to park down in the lot off the main road and take the cattle car shuttle up to the ski area. Alternative was to pay $20 for V.I.P. parking in the formerly free lot. Edit: I read what @mustski wrote about parking, but to be honest it wasn't clear what rows were free. It was a zoo in the parking area on our arrival and on departing.

Happy New Year!
SS has been less than truthful/forthcoming regarding the VIP parking. Despite what they told me, it would seem that on a busy day, the size of the paid parking area expands to encompass the whole parking lot.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @VickiK and @mustski ! We've been to SS a couple of times but never when there's enough coverage to go off piste. We had fun on the groomers but want to wait to go back until there's enough snow for the fun looking off-piste terrain. Possibly weekend after next... How's the snow coverage looking?

mustski

Angel Diva
Hi @VickiK and @mustski ! We've been to SS a couple of times but never when there's enough coverage to go off piste. We had fun on the groomers but want to wait to go back until there's enough snow for the fun looking off-piste terrain. Possibly weekend after next... How's the snow coverage looking?
Off piste at SS requires " " around the words! They allow Off Chute & Dicky's to bump up, mainly because they are too hard (former) or too short (latter) to groom. There is some "off piste" between runs, but it is really just a hoppity skippity through the woods for 5 seconds. Bear does have some decent tree skiing in the canyons, and I heard it was skiing very well right after the last big dump. I would guess that it is pretty skied out and crusty by now. Truthfully, as far as local skiing goes, don't wait for "off piste" skiing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly