• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best way to get better at skiing?

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
I need some advice, I’m going skiing for the 3rd time with my family and we will be skiing for 5 days. I’m technically proficient but slow as molasses. What’s the best way to catch up with my dare devil kiddos? Private lessons? Daily half day group lessons, or daily full day group lessons? I want to ski with my family but they need me to get better or it isn’t fun for them. What’s your best advice? FYI I’m ok on easy blues if that helps. I’ve also had full day family private lesson which was a total waste of time because my boys are not coachable and we had to stay on greens because they don’t like to turn. My daughter usually skiis with me but she is sidelined this year due to elbow surgery so this is a unique situation. What’s the best way to use this trip to catch up? E kind.

MagicForest

Certified Ski Diva
How about separate private or group lessons for you and your boys for the morning, then you ski together in the afternoon? This way each person can ski with others of a similar ability and learn some skills, and you can still have time together in the afternoon. This is what I did as a kid, and it worked well for us.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Half day much better than full day in my opinion. Even as I took more lessons and got into better shape (after age 50), it's hard to concentrate for more than 2-3 hours. Especially when thinking about what the rest of the family are doing.

Are you a morning person? If so, schedule your lesson in the morning and plan on meeting up for lunch. But if you can put the kids in separate afternoon lessons, that works too. The advantage is not having to rush to meet a ski school timeline in the morning if someone happens to be moving slow.

What we did for my friend during spring break trips to Alta was have her kids do full day ski school. Then she could ski a bit in the morning and do the adult intermediate group lesson in the afternoon. It did help that I was available to pick up the kid(s), so it didn't matter if her lesson ran long. At a destination resort during late season, the instructors who teach group lessons can sometimes be very experienced. She lucked out and had 3 consecutive solo lessons with the same Level instructor who had 20+ years of experience. He'd recently moved to the Alta Ski School from another ski school in the area. She was only skiing the Alta greens the first couple days, based on what she'd learned in Virginia at Massanutten. By the end of the first lesson he had her on the easiest blue. After the third lesson, I was able to lead her on any groomed blue at Alta in good conditions. Really made a huge difference!

Christy

Angel Diva
Skiing 3 times isn't very many, so it's pretty natural that you'd be slow. I learned as an adult and benefitted hugely from regular group lessons. (Honestly skiers of nearly all levels can and many of us here regularly do clinics and group lessons). Private lessons are so expensive that I would hold off on those until/unless you feel really stuck, or, if you are on a trip, if you're doing the groups and not feeling satisfied and want more individual attention. Just keep doing the lessons and getting the time on the hill. There's really no substitute for time on the hill.

It's up to you whether half or full day work better. I like half day as I can have a lesson in the morning then practice and ski on my own in the afternoon, but if you like the idea of all day groups go for it! The all day lessons I've done has us all eat lunch together, so if you wanted to meet up with your family at lunch, check on that.

It terms of keeping up with your daredevil kids--are these the ones that won't turn and you call "not coachable" and that have to stay on greens? I have to think the ski school would have someone who is good at coaching these kinds of kids. I know I've heard of this (kids that won't turn) so there has to be methods to get them to turn and ski safely.

marzNC

Angel Diva
FYI I’m ok on easy blues if that helps.
However you do lessons, think of a way to let the instructor know as much as possible early on. Since you have good technique but not that much "mileage" it could be that what would be helpful would be a run or two where the instructor is more of a guide than a teacher. I was lucky because I found ski buddies who were better skiers and willing to ski with me on easier terrain. In my case that meant easier ungroomed terrain since when I started skiing more regularly (after age 50) I had good enough technique for any groomed blue at big mountains.

Paging @snoWYmonkey for suggestions about what questions instructors like to ask to get to know a client.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Skiing 3 times isn't very many, so it's pretty natural that you'd be slow. I learned as an adult and benefitted hugely from regular group lessons. (Honestly skiers of nearly all levels can and many of us here regularly do clinics and group lessons). Private lessons are so expensive that I would hold off on those until/unless you feel really stuck, or, if you are on a trip, if you're doing the groups and not feeling satisfied and want more individual attention. Just keep doing the lessons and getting the time on the hill. There's really no substitute for time on the hill.

It's up to you whether half or full day work better. I like half day as I can have a lesson in the morning then practice and ski on my own in the afternoon, but if you like the idea of all day groups go for it! The all day lessons I've done has us all eat lunch together, so if you wanted to meet up with your family at lunch, check on that.

It terms of keeping up with your daredevil kids--are these the ones that won't turn and you call "not coachable" and that have to stay on greens? I have to think the ski school would have someone who is good at coaching these kinds of kids. I know I've heard of this (kids that won't turn) so there has to be methods to get them to turn and ski safely.
Thanks for the tips, we learned at the terrain park that the boys can turn (when there’s a wall) they just prefer to go fast. Fortunately my husband is a better skier so they have fun with him. I’m always up for putting them in lessons just not with me :smile:

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva

Thanks for the tips, we learned at the terrain park that the boys can turn (when there’s a wall) they just prefer to go fast. Fortunately my husband is a better skier so they have fun with him. I’m always up for putting them in lessons just not with me :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Depends somewhat on the age of the kid. My daughter started at age 4. She picked up the basics quickly from ski school. But 4 year olds are naturally lazy. She much preferred going straight without making any turns if she wasn't following an adult. I ended up getting better at skiing backwards on the greens.

When she was 5, there was a night session when she skied with her older teen cousin on the steeper green near the base lodge. I was pooped out and watched from the lodge. She was having a good time straight lining as much as possible. There were very few others still skiing under the lights. But I saw more than once that if there was a reason to turn to avoid a person or a pile of snow, she turned without even thinking about it.

The 11yo boy that was part of the extended family we had made friends with at our home hill . . . that was another story completely. He'd had a few lessons but probably hadn't skied more than 5 days in his lifetime. He really liked speed and didn't want to be left behind. The other tweens in the group were intermediates, including younger kids so it was tough to get him to make any turns or stop to re-set.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I always required my daughter or any other kid who was part of a ski trip to take at least one lesson in the first day or two. Didn't matter what age or ability level. After that, another lesson was somewhat optional depending on the situation. Weather, how well they were skiing, and who else was available to ski with were all factors.

There was an age when the kid(s) preferred ski school to skiing with parents. During a longer trip, then it was a matter of requiring at least one morning or afternoon skiing together as a family. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Mamabear3 : would you be interested in a few simple exercises that are useful for skiing? Meaning stuff you can do at home in under 20-30 minutes.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
I always required my daughter or any other kid who was part of a ski trip to take at least one lesson in the first day or two. Didn't matter what age or ability level. After that, another lesson was somewhat optional depending on the situation. Weather, how well they were skiing, and who else was available to ski with were all factors.

There was an age when the kid(s) preferred ski school to skiing with parents. During a longer trip, then it was a matter of requiring at least one morning or afternoon skiing together as a family. :smile:
I like this concept…thank you

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are a few of the short routines I start with during the fall. Not that when someone says "do 3 sets" I rarely do more than two sets, and often only one. Mostly because I get bored.

I focus more on 1-leg balance, flexibility, and core strength than cardio or leg strength. The Pilates routine can be done daily or 2-3 times a week. It helps to know something about Pilates though. I've done a few Pilates classes but have never done it the regularly.

For more ideas, look around my fitness blog. While there are some entries geared to more advanced skiers who do more intense ski conditioning, I started the blog after knee rehab so I was looking for stuff that wasn't too intimidating.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello - I teach at Snowmass and teach many women who are exactly in your situation. Here are my questions/suggestions:

1. What resort are you headed to for your trip?
2. The "family private". I do not think this is the best product - it works in certain situations.
3. I recommend either a 1/2 day morning private or an all day group lesson for you. If you are technically proficient, the speed will come with mileage! Mileage is critical.
4. I recommend that you meet your husband/children for lunch and do a couple of runs together after lunch. I recommend that you pick a trail that you are comfortable on. I recommend that you have an agreement with your husband/children that you will meet at the lift. Everyone goes their own speed, including you! Ski your speed. Even if they are faster, they will not wait very long and you can all ride the lift together.
5. When you ski by yourself, pick EASY trails and practice upping your speed a little at a time.

Please feel free to PM me for questions.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
How old are the boys?
my boys are not coachable and we had to stay on greens because they don’t like to turn.
Straightlining all the time might be fun for them for now, but they will not improve that way.

The dynamics of a good group lesson (peer pressure!) could help convince them that turning can be fun. When they are willing to turn they can begin to ski steeper and more challenging terrain. An all day lesson can allow the coach enough time to develop a rapport with the kids, teach them new skills, and allow for guided practice on appropriate terrain. Multiple days in a row can be even more effective.

Other good options to require turning without lecturing: beginner trees and moguls.

Fortunately my husband is a better skier so they have fun with him.
I have one strong suggestion for your husband: always set a good example. He should ski the way he wants them to ski. Eventually the boys will ski like he does. If he always turns, even on the easy terrain, they will eventually emulate him.

It may also set a good example for him to take a group lesson. If he shows that he is willing to listen to and learn from coaches, the boys may respect the coaches more.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello and good for you to have a goal of using your solo time to improve.

Pros and cons to privates versus group lessons. If cost is not a concern, I would ask for a minimum of a level two, patient instructor and do private half days. I agree with the statements above that it is hard to concentrate and actually keep improving in an all day lesson.

Groups can be more fun if you end up in one with similar skiers, or even different ones where you learn how we all struggle with different skills and emotions on snow. They can also be challenging if the fit is poor amongst participants and your instructor not skilled enough to manage the differences.

In a private you could specifically work on your personal goals, which seem to be going faster. I often help guests with that, but usually focus on mastering going slow and stopping on a dime before doing some straightlining drills with them.

If you end up with an instructor you do not like, it is absolutely OK to ask for a different person. You might even say that right away, that you really like different ways of learning the same idea, and then you are less likely to feel awkward if you ask for a fresh face the next day.

Some areas you will need to prebook as instructors are quickly filling their calendars with lessons for the whole season.

Remember that you will likely have big speed demons for sons as they become better and even faster skiers. I suggest learning to love the sport for your own pleasure. Improvement can and will happen, but speed differences will likely remain....at least that is what I have witnessed. We just don't get that fast when we start as adult and wise women (wink wink).

On a different note, I don't want to assume anything, but my guess is that your sons are normal boys who are just hard to trick into wanting to turn. I have even had non turning adults, and my 11 year old student was almost taken out by one two days ago! It is often just a phase, and we try to challenge the boys in a safe environment where they do not hurt themselves or others while doing our best to get them to understand the value of turning. They often figure it out very fast once we bring them to a steep run, but beg to return to the more playful greens until they are motivated to make the step up to turning and steeps.

Again, I would encourage you and your family to make peace with the differing skill and speed levels, or all will remain frustrated. The key is the find the joy in the level we are at on any given day in our love of skiing. I much prefer being around an advanced beginner who made progress than an expert skier who is bored and complaining about the slowpokes around them.

Take lessons, don't be afraid to try the many drills your coaches will have you try, and relish in the joy of getting better and faster!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
FWIW - I am a fairly cautious middle aged intermediate skier. I just don’t ski with my son. I ski with my daughter if at all…but I prefer to ski alone.

I prefer that my son skis with friends. one of his ski buddies is a slightly younger girl who is a more proficient skier and like another sister to him. Being responsible for her makes him a more responsible skier. Together, the two of them challenge and push my more cautious but physically capable daughter.

Christy

Angel Diva
I recommend that you have an agreement with your husband/children that you will meet at the lift. Everyone goes their own speed, including you! Ski your speed. Even if they are faster, they will not wait very long and you can all ride the lift together.

This! Waiting in lift lines then riding the lift are when you engage with the people you are with--it's not like you are carrying on conversations while actually in the act of skiing. My husband and I ski at different speeds to mid points or lifts, then ride back up with each other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna