• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Best Utah Resorts for Intermediates Looking to Push Themselves?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a couple of coworkers who are heading to Utah, I think this weekend..

Anyway, yesterday I was asked which resorts they should check out staying in SLC, but I've only skied Snowbasin and Powder so that's all I could recommend. I think both would be great, but I think they are thinking more of the bigger name resorts. They said they want to ski Park City, and they were mentioning Alta and Snowbird, but are a bit intimidated seeing all of the double blacks on the map I guess. I haven't skied any of those, so I'm not sure what's there, and I've never skied with these guys so I don't know their real level of skill either. Described themselves as intermediates, but might like to push themselves a little while out West as well. Also, are there any pass deals that cover several mountains etc. while they are there?

Thanks for any thoughts, sorry it's a bit vague!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I can tell you that when I was very intermediate and went to Snowbird late season it was exactly the push I needed at exactly the right time. But *I* had to be the one who decided that. If DH had pushed for us to go there, even at that exact same time, I'd have been unhappy!

lucy

Angel Diva
They said they want to ski Park City, and they were mentioning Alta and Snowbird, but are a bit intimidated seeing all of the double blacks on the map I guess.
Brrr. It's cold this weekend. At 2 pm it was 19 degrees F but it felt like -1 with the wind chill. IMHO, a strong intermediate would have a great time at Snowbird/Alta. We had a huge dump last week, so conditions look good even if it is a bit cold. There are a couple of blue runs from the summit, they are skinny at the top and then grow into larger runs a third of the way down. Stick to Gadzoom to access the intermediate runs at Snowbird, or Baldy if you're in Mineral Basin. Hope this helps.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We skied both Alta and Snowbird 3 weeks ago. Alta was very foggy which hindered our desire to explore the entire mountain. We stayed on the Challenger lift and really enjoyed the area. We skied a couple of runs off of the Sunshine lift which had some blue and green runs. Conditions at Snowbird were fresh snow and also foggy. We skied off the Gadzoom lift and I really enjoyed the Big Emma Bowl. Even though I got injured getting off the Gadzoom lift and my knee was hurting I was still able to ski the powder and finish the day on the blue runs around the lift.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It depends on how "intermediate" they actually are. I consider myself a solid/strong intermediate and I have really enjoyed both Alta and Snowbird. If conditions are good, I think they are both really fun.
If they are lower intermediates, they may not find them as fun.

Deer Valley has a ton of groomers, so good for intermediate skiers. Of course you can also find ungroomed there as well, if they want to challenge themselves. I've only skied Deer Valley once (but will be going again soon) but I found it sort of like New England, as in the runs were icier---but I have no idea if that is typical for them since I've only skied it once so far.

mustski

Angel Diva
The resorts around SLC are pretty much the same as resorts anywhere. There is plenty of intermediate, advanced, expert, and in some cases extreme terrain. They can't really go wrong at choosing a ski area. My personal preferences are Alta and Deer Valley because there are no snowboarders. I'm from CA so that is a nice change. Alta has much more off piste available than Deer Valley.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have only been to Alta a couple of times, and have wanted to like it more than I actually have. I think I need a guide to show me around. On the plus side, they only charged me $1 for a Diet Coke - only reasonably priced mountain Diet Coke I’ve ever had.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an Alta-holic, like @mustski said, no snowboards allowed (sorry boarders) For me I like it and seems there are also less kids since most Families have at least 1 child on a board.

Only spent a little time at Snowbird, seems steeper, more scratched off and TONS of out of control boarders saw so many people being taken off the Mt in sleds the day we were there. It's Hard to believe they are 'right next door to Alta"

Deer Valley and Solitude are on my list to try, Not interested in Park City sounds like Killington on Steroids

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Solitude is a great option especially if they prefer a chill atmosphere and want to avoid the crowds.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Solitude is a great option especially if they prefer a chill atmosphere and want to avoid the crowds.
Although based on a recent trip report, Solitude may not be so uncrowded any more after the improvements by the owners of Deer Valley before they sold both DV and Solitude to Alterra. Being on the Ikon pass has clearly changed the attitude of travelers to Solitude. Before, they mostly went to Park City, Alta, or Snowbird.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/solitude-ski-resort-jan-13-23-2019.23591/

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've had the most experience with friends who were/are intermediates at Alta during late season. With the new Supreme lift that starts above Alf's, that makes the Supreme/Sugarloaf side great for adventurous intermediates. As I started to ski more challenging terrain, the short steep shots off Supreme were great fun. Cabin Hill is a nice mellow tree area, but best to go in first with someone who knows it. Or else keep an eye out for an instructor's group. Follow the kids and get ready for fun!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Although based on a recent trip report, Solitude may not be so uncrowded any more after the improvements by the owners of Deer Valley before they sold both DV and Solitude to Alterra. Being on the Ikon pass has clearly changed the attitude of travelers to Solitude. Before, they mostly went to Park City, Alta, or Snowbird.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/solitude-ski-resort-jan-13-23-2019.23591/
Huh, go figure. We were there last March skiing on the IKON and it was deserted. Despite it being a low snow year, we loved it! We did not like Brighton nearly as well (very crowded and full of boarders) nor did we care for Deer Valley (extremely long lines, too posh).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Huh, go figure. We were there last March skiing on the IKON and it was deserted. Despite it being a low snow year, we loved it! We did not like Brighton nearly as well (very crowded and full of boarders) nor did we care for Deer Valley (extremely long lines, too posh).
Was that getting the Ikon early on? So that you got Spring 2018 for the inaugural 2018-19 Ikon pass?

Brighton does have more boarders because there are good terrain parks, plus night skiing so locals can stick around for extra hours if they start skiing in the mid-afternoon.

DV a few days after a powder storm can be a good place to learn how to get first tracks from what I hear. The only long lines are from the base. For that matter, fun to be had in powder at Brighton if someone is willing to explore in the trees. Followed @dloveski one day a while back when a run through trees was still a major adventure for me.

Of course, like any skiing new a major metropolitan area, there will be more people on weekends when locals are out. Saturdays are busier than Sundays. Used to be that could get away from crowds by driving out to Snowbasin on weekends, but not sure that's still true based on recent comments from @contesstant .

marzNC

Angel Diva
As for Snowbird, for adventurous intermediates who are willing to take the time to do the free mountain host tour, certainly can be fun for a couple days. But I wouldn't recommend going if the visibility is low due to fog or snow clouds or windy. Mineral Basin would be likely to be closed under those conditions. That's a unique feature.

Snowbird and Solitude are the places to go for steep groomers.

My bias is that I skied Alta starting as an intermediate. Never got bored over a few decades as I progressed from a blue groomer skier to relatively steep ungroomed open bowls, and lately trees. The group lessons for intermediates midweek at Alta are a pretty good deal, partially because of the level of experience of all Alta instructors. I've had friends do group lessons with L3 instructors who had 25+ years of experience. Late season (after mid-March) during midweek, can end up a solo lesson or with just one other student.

The Adult Mountain Workshop is for "advanced" skiers but that can include adventurous intermediates who have experience off-piste in the northeast. Under $100 for 2.5 hours being guided by a very experienced instructor. When I did it in 2011, there were enough people for ski off. There are always three instructors/guides available, if needed for a range of abilities. I was in the lowest group after falling twice in the deep snow (6+ inches). Learned all sorts of short shots off Sugarloaf and Collins that afternoon. Even though I quit after 2 hours because it was my first day after flying into SLC. My ski buddy, Jason, was in the middle group. He ended up skiing off the High T in low visibility and had a good time even though he really had no idea which trails the group did. That was his first day ever at Alta.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
We skied both Alta and Snowbird 3 weeks ago. Alta was very foggy which hindered our desire to explore the entire mountain. We stayed on the Challenger lift and really enjoyed the area. We skied a couple of runs off of the Sunshine lift which had some blue and green runs.
Umm, do you mean Collins? There's isn't a lift called Challenger at Alta or Snowbird.

The beginner lift at Alta is Sunnyside. In addition to long greens and a few blues, the Vail Ridge off Sunnyside is legitimate black terrain with trees. After a powder storm, that's where the Level 6/7 groups of kids learn to make turns when the snow is knee deep or deeper. I was lucky enough to watch my daughter and her friend head down into the trees with their instructors. The other mom and I were on the lift at just the right time. It was a combined group with two instructors that afternoon. The girls were tweens. My daughter was Level 7 and her friend was a couple years younger and Level 6.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Was that getting the Ikon early on? So that you got Spring 2018 for the inaugural 2018-19 Ikon pass?
Oooops, I tend to mix-up the MaxPass and the IKON as I felt the MaxPass turned into the IKON. We skied Solitude/Brighton on the MaxPass.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooops, I tend to mix-up the MaxPass and the IKON as I felt the MaxPass turned into the IKON. We skied Solitude/Brighton on the MaxPass.

Ikon pass is making a lot of the resorts very busy (even though I love my ikon pass)

lucy

Angel Diva
Ikon pass is making a lot of the resorts very busy
So true. The tram line was out the door and around the building. The wait was at least 15 to 20 minutes to board the tram. It has been this way for the past three weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So true. The tram line was out the door and around the building. The wait was at least 15 to 20 minutes to board the tram. It has been this way for the past three weeks.
You are talking about Snowbird, correct? Given the snowstorms, doesn't sound that much different than other heavy snow weeks. Especially given a few low snow seasons in the last 5-10 years. The real question is whether the SLC airport has been busier with people flying with ski bags. :smile:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have only been to Alta a couple of times, and have wanted to like it more than I actually have. I think I need a guide to show me around. On the plus side, they only charged me $1 for a Diet Coke - only reasonably priced mountain Diet Coke I’ve ever had.
I feel the same way. I think I’m going to get a guide for Alta. I know there’s more back there, but my fear keeps me from exploring on my own. My first visit to Alta, I was asking a guy who was in his eighties about where to go and he looked at me and said “just ski”. I wish I had that confidence!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna