• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best travel garment you own

Christy

Angel Diva
The title says it all. What piece of clothing is the real workhorse of your trips? (This can be any kind of trip, I'm interested in all of them).

elemmac

Angel Diva
Great topic...I'm always on the prowl for the "perfect" travel outfits; the kind of clothing that looks good, but is comfortable, practical, and versatile. I don't think I have one favorite workhorse...more like one workhorse for each category. My current favorites:

- Smartwool t-shirts: Basic colors, easy layering, comfortable, and you can wear them multiple days in a row without them smelling (especially if you air them out at night). I have a couple that go on every trip...they are 4-season travelers.

- Pants: Current favorite is the Prana Halle II. Incredibly comfortable, great pockets and really versatile. Dress them up a bit to go out to dinner, but they're comfortable enough that I can lounge around in them all day and be just as comfortable as sweatpants. I'll also give an honorable mention to my Mountain Hardwear Dynama 2 pants...probably even a bit more comfortable than the Prana's (with a yoga pant-like waist band) but not quite as "stylish", so they're tougher to dress up. But they're lightweight, and versatile for every season...I can wear them on hot days, and they breathe well. I can easily layer a pair of tights under them for the coldest winter travel.

- Flylow Katinka hoodie: I bought one on a good sale last year, and I think it's come with me every time I've traveled since (2 ski trips, at least 4 work trips, one MTB trip). I'm currently fighting the urge to pick up another one in a different color, since they're on sale at Flylow.

- Forsake Lucie Mid for shoes: I bought a pair 5-ish years ago, and just replaced them with the same shoe (the treads wore down because I wore them so much). They are a perfect "do-everything" shoe...waterproof, and warm enough for winter (no need to travel with heavy winter boots). But not so warm that you don't want to sit inside for long periods of time with them on (e.g. long flights, apres-ski or going out to dinner). They are the only pair of shoes I bring for winter travel (other than ski or snowboard boots). Only thing is that they're overkill for summer...but they're certainly a workhorse for me 3 seasons out of the year.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Eddie Bauer travel vests. I have one in black and one in taupe. Unfortunately, they don't make them (or the same one) anymore. :cry: Zippered interior passport pocket, two upper chest pockets, two lower front hip pockets, and two side slash pockets. Front zip and stand-up 1/2 collar. LOVE them.

ouncible

Diva in Training
The comes apposite as I was searching for fabric to replace my magic walking/hiking skirt.

It's an ankle length, three gore, heavy black lycra skirt with a fitted (non-bunchy) elastic waist. I don't normally like synthetics or knits, but this one is magic. It fits me through thick and thin. It can be worn to work, to visit religious sites and museums, out to dinner and still be the first thing I grab for a long country walk or many scrambly hikes. I can wear it as a sun dress, or blop it over my ski gear for modesty while changing in the parking lot. I can sit cross legged without offending anyone's sensibilities. I can use the bushes without any fuss or worry about flashing my hiking buddies. It sink-washes well and sheds dirt and dust easily. It has a tuck loop if I need it out of the way for running or a steep climb (or to make a sling to help me carry bulky objects). It's comfy on the plane but travels fine mushed into a corner of any bag. It dries quickly on rainy days. It's warm (especially with a flannel slip) on snowy days, and still works for me in deserts in summer. It has been ridiculously hard wearing.

I still want hiking pants for brushy/tick-rich hikes, and I might prefer swim trunks or a short wrap skirt for day-wear in parts of Hawaii, but there hasn't been a trip anywhere in the last 24 years where I haven't worn and loved that skirt.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have different variations on long-sleeve shirts of breathable material that have sleeves that are designed to be rolled up to create short sleeves. Most have breast pockets, which are a good place to put Ear Planes on an airplane or a door key in a motel.

Here's an example:

I've bought most of my travel shirts at an outlet store or on sale. One color above is one sale. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
@ouncible I never would have thought a long skirt so practical but you make a great case for it!

@elemmac I hear you on the wool tees. I have Smartwool, Icebreaker and REI brand and they all do go for days like you say. These are my sleep shirts on trips. Just due to personal preference (fit etc) I am still looking for my perfect wool tee. One that fits perfectly and looks great on me plus won't get smelly. It's hard to experiment too much given the cost.

I started thinking about all this because last night I wondered if I could get away with a week long trip, part on the Alaska ferry and part camping at Katmai NP, with my Patagonia Better Sweater, one of my WoolX Hannah LS tops, a short sleeved wool top, and WoolX leggings (plus a rain parka). I don't need to go that spartan, and I'll want something clean for the plane ride home lol, but boy these items are workhorses.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably specific to Australia (and maybe NZ) but I finally found my all-time best aeroplane wear in the Classic Pant from Katies - stretchy, generous elastic waistband without heaps of gathering, doesn't go stinky after a few hours and pretty cheap.

Still searching for a good, stylish outdoor / hiking pant that fits my peri-menopausal brick shape.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just due to personal preference (fit etc) I am still looking for my perfect wool tee. One that fits perfectly and looks great on me plus won't get smelly. It's hard to experiment too much given the cost.
I’ve been wanting to try a Paka TShirt (they also make a v-neck, if that’s your style). I have one of their sweaters that is amazing (I do travel with it quite a bit and it seems to have similar benefits as merino wool: soft, no smell, warm but breathable). But as you said…they’re pricey, so won’t pull the trigger until at least one or two of my Smartwool TShirts die….

Christy

Angel Diva
I’ve been wanting to try a Paka TShirt (they also make a v-neck, if that’s your style). I have one of their sweaters that is amazing (I do travel with it quite a bit and it seems to have similar benefits as merino wool: soft, no smell, warm but breathable). But as you said…they’re pricey, so won’t pull the trigger until at least one or two of my Smartwool TShirts die….
Those look nice. I was just looking at Unbound Merino and their tees look great too, and keep popping up on "best of" lists.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Lots of great ideas... here are mine:

Flying for winter vacations - merino base layer, lightweight cashmere sweater, warm leggings, nano puff or lightweight jacket. Nothing bulky.

For long haul trans atlantic flights for ski vacations - PILLOWCASE - stuff long down coat in pillowcase for the 10 hr flight. Otherwise, wear above recommendations and add wool scarf.

Flying for hot tropical vacations - mid length light weight flow-y skirt, tank top, lightweight sweatshirt, sandals (no flip flops for plane, you never know)...

I try to keep it simple...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I often wear a loose fitting pair of pants (winter) or a skort with pockets (summer) and usually wear a vest. I like pockets in a vest to avoid having to keep track of a purse or other such satchel.
I often have a computer bag to keep track of so I avoid extra stuff to carry.
IMG_4442.jpeg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The comes apposite as I was searching for fabric to replace my magic walking/hiking skirt.

It's an ankle length, three gore, heavy black lycra skirt with a fitted (non-bunchy) elastic waist. I don't normally like synthetics or knits, but this one is magic. It fits me through thick and thin. It can be worn to work, to visit religious sites and museums, out to dinner and still be the first thing I grab for a long country walk or many scrambly hikes. I can wear it as a sun dress, or blop it over my ski gear for modesty while changing in the parking lot. I can sit cross legged without offending anyone's sensibilities. I can use the bushes without any fuss or worry about flashing my hiking buddies. It sink-washes well and sheds dirt and dust easily. It has a tuck loop if I need it out of the way for running or a steep climb (or to make a sling to help me carry bulky objects). It's comfy on the plane but travels fine mushed into a corner of any bag. It dries quickly on rainy days. It's warm (especially with a flannel slip) on snowy days, and still works for me in deserts in summer. It has been ridiculously hard wearing.

I still want hiking pants for brushy/tick-rich hikes, and I might prefer swim trunks or a short wrap skirt for day-wear in parts of Hawaii, but there hasn't been a trip anywhere in the last 24 years where I haven't worn and loved that skirt.

Do you have a link to the skirt you have?

mustski

Angel Diva
If flying, I'm a "dress" yoga pant gal. They're not expensive but, with a dressy blouse, they look it. The are comfortable enough for long flights and don't get too tight if I bloat.

If driving, it is weather dependent. I still lean towards denim, but prefer boyfriend style jeans for comfort and a loose t-shirt. In warm weather, I switch out for a skort with an elasticized waist. I'm all about comfort. I don't worry about pockets, because I always have a back pack. As far as jackets, I always use a puffy and a water proof shell for travel. I can pack them into their own pockets and they fit in my back pack.

ouncible

Diva in Training
Do you have a link to the skirt you have?
The one I have is home made - a hybrid based on the Folkwear walking skirt and an old skirt of my grandmother's. It's dead simple to draft and make if you can use a sewing machine - I will probably blog my remake when I find the fabric.

The general cut and 4way stretch look similar to (Amazon link). IDK the quality of the fabric on the Amazon one, but it would not be hard to retrofit a tuck loop inside the waistband.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Speaking of passports (possibly a new thread), where does everyone keep their passports? I used to wear a "money belt" on flights. Now I keep it in my purse with a copy of my passport in my check in luggage.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jacket: Mons Royale Nordkette (great inside pockets!)
Top: Icebreaker merino tshirt
I am also fussy about underwear if I'm on a plane - I prefer the Icebreaker Anatomica crop (which is NOT a sports bra, I would not run in it) rather than anything underwired.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Wowser. That sounds like the PERFECT garment!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of passports (possibly a new thread), where does everyone keep their passports? I used to wear a "money belt" on flights. Now I keep it in my purse with a copy of my passport in my check in luggage.
I've already mentioned the interior zip pocket of my travel vest, but I also have a pair of travel slacks https://www.clothingarts.com/?vendo...MIo_jyi-zqhgMVGGdHAR1JuQa_EAAYASAAEgJKrfD_BwE

I also keep multiple copies of my passport in various places.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CathyR