• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best time of year to buy ski equipment

marzNC

Angel Diva
Took a day off from skiing at Alta in April to do some shopping in SLC. Second Tracks is a consignment store for ski stuff during the winter season. Learned that some time in March, they start changing over to bike stuff. Might have been a little early this year given the low snow totals and early spring weather.

Found the same at the REI in Denver in mid-March. That was a good time to go shopping at the Arc'teryx outlet south of Denver though. Found it more or less by accident just before closing time. 50% off the outlet price. Turns out that's the only Arc'teryx outlet in the U.S. Found a shell jacket that fit. :smile:

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this thread. I'm looking to by skis and bindings now and am happy to know its best to wait as long as possible but not before they sell out. So far I have seen the skis I want in a few places so hopefully I'll get a good deal. Now to figure out bindings.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Did a little shopping in SLC one afternoon with a couple friends when it was on the warm side after 2:30 or so up at Alta. This April 2nd Tracks in SLC decided to keep a few racks of ski clothing and outerwear after they shifted to bike stuff. The sales deal was that what was left was 50% off. We also checked out the Patagonia Outlet and REI.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

With the heat wave in the northeast, mid-Atlantic, and midwest, my guess is that "late season" sales have already started in some ski shops. Online sales usually start after the Pres. Day weekend (20Feb2017).

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup. I just bought a pair of brand-new Volkl RTMs at my local shop, where I demoed them. I was prepared to pay the regular price, which wasn't MSRP, but was what everyone online was charging and what the shop listed on its site. Turns out they had just marked down all new skis 40% off.

Apparel was all at least 25% off, too. Unfortunately, the only thing I really liked and wanted was a North Face shell jacket that was part of a spring line, so no discount. I'll wait. This year has been crazy warm and I swear I think I've worn my "Ragin' Cajuns" hoodie more than my nice, insulated Obermeyer jacket this season.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Just don't neglect your local shop. I just paid a whopping $5 extra to buy local (well, as local as possible. Our local shop closed its doors, sadly).

I keep wanting to buy local for outerwear, but our local ski shops have a habit of selling the less than technical wear for women. For example, I saw on FlyLow's site that a local shop carried their items; I called the shop and they only carry men's, not a single women's item. I voiced my dismay, and the sales guy agreed - I gather serious women skiers are not their usual demographic. Sigh.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another handy tip is to look for bankruptcy sales in your area. I scored my gear at a really good price because of this. The stock can be picked over but you can get lucky.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think my local shops have moved on to biking and water sports gear. But late season sales start in late February in the southeast.

I've learned that by the end of March, the places that carry ski gear in SLC have cut down on what is out of the floor in favor of summer wear and equipment. Didn't bother to look in April. But can sometimes find a deal at the ski shops around Alta.

These days, lots of deals to be found online. I was looking at a MIPS helmet recently. Don't need a new helmet quite yet. But . . .

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think my local shops have moved on to biking and water sports gear. But late season sales start in late February in the southeast.

I've learned that by the end of March, the places that carry ski gear in SLC have cut down on what is out of the floor in favor of summer wear and equipment. Didn't bother to look in April. But can sometimes find a deal at the ski shops around Alta.

These days, lots of deals to be found online. I was looking at a MIPS helmet recently. Don't need a new helmet quite yet. But . . .
I'm looking at the Smith Vantage MIPS helmet......

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There does seem to be a price floor if you're buying new skis, meaning that if you see a pair that you want in April, the price isn't likely to decrease by August. Bindings seem to go on sale more often and more significantly.

Jilly

Staff member
Some places have a summer sale. In the Ottawa area it's the end of July. Sort of like a tent sale.

Everyone around here (and Tremblant) have switched to summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There does seem to be a price floor if you're buying new skis, meaning that if you see a pair that you want in April, the price isn't likely to decrease by August. Bindings seem to go on sale more often and more significantly.
Like shopping for anything on sale, depends somewhat on what size you need. When I bought my Rossi skis, I knew after demo'ing during the season what I wanted. But wasn't in a hurry. So I watched the prices. Ended up getting a deal during the summer.

Have been able to get some great deals for my daughter during the summer because she fits XS. For jackets and shirts, I need Medium. Those are harder to find by then.

But for my Stormriders, I knew the supply of Stöckli skis is limited. Especially in short lengths. So when I found a demo pair for sale, I bought them in February.

If I were interested in DPS skis from the Alta Ski Shop, I would also have to buy early in the season. By March, the DPS demo skis are usually already sold because they are pro-rated based on the number of days they get rented. Also hard to find shorter lengths in the SLC consignment shops.

Christy

Angel Diva
I was lucky this year--I was able to get the skis I wanted, in my size, on sale in March. Typically what has happened is that if I want new skis I decide to wait for end of season sales, then they are sold out of the ones I want.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
On the lookout for Blizzard Sheeva 10's in a 156, Head Wild Joy in 153, Blizzard Black Pearl 88 in 152. Just saying.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sold my Kanjos and just bought a pair of Volkl 90Eights in 170. I'd demoed them on a powder-ish day at Killington and really liked them. I thought they might be just the ticket for learning to ski at Magic next season! Bindings later.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for 2018-19 season

Wachusett has the annual Labor Day sale on their website for those in the Boston area.

Soon it will be time to be looking for dates for ski swaps in Sep, Oct, Nov.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Labor Day seems to be the sale time here in Colorado. Last week Christy Sports began their big blow out sale called Powder Days. Last week I got a pair of $299 ski pants for $80 at the Christy Sports in Lakewood. Today I got a Giro ski helmet, $160 retail for $10. Many shops in Breck, Frisco and Dillon will have big sales this weekend. Haven't demoed any skis I really want and got new boots in March last year so I'm not on a mission for any thing else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna