• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best time of year to buy ski equipment

newskiaddict

Certified Ski Diva
I'm noticing that there are a lot of end of the season sales going on right now. When is the best time to buy gear- either clothing or skis and boots? If I wait until the summer, will the prices be even lower?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What abc said.

It's worth knowing when retailers have big sales, and really perk up for holiday sales like President's day (a real biggie for ski gear), 4th of July, Memorial day, and Black Friday. IME, aside from those holidays, the best time for clothes is at the end of the season. If I'm shopping something in particular I run a search a few times a week (more if I'm particularly obsessed) on likely websites.

The key is to poke around enough to know the normal price, most retailer's 'discounted' price, and the item's availability, so you'll know a super deal when you see one. For instance, it seems like most previous-year's skis sell for $400-$500 new, even though most are exactly the same as this year's except for the topsheet. But most demos sell for the same amount, which means that they may not be the best deal unless you really love demo bindings, the skis are pristine (and sometimes they are), or you absolutely positively have to have them right away.

Sometimes the best deals are at local retailers trying to purge in-store stock; sometimes The North Face, Patagonia, or REI's outlet websites will heavily discount old stock. And sometimes a store will try to fool you by comparing their price with an MSRP that nobody in the universe uses, when their "discounted" price is actually exactly the same as every other retail outlet.

Finally, don't be like me. :becky: I can get so obsessed that I'll spend hours and hours comparing prices and shipping charges on multiple websites. It's not really that I'm cheap, although I do like saving money to spend elsewhere; I'm just a little compulsive. Sometimes it's better to spend a few dollars extra--or even pay full retail!! :fear:--just to get it over with.

Sorry that's so long; I guess I should eat dinner, because I'm rambling a lot...:faint:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, but don't be like me and get impatient and buy most things full price. There is a happy middle ground.

abc

Banned
Assuming the OP has the "middle ground" personality, it still pays to be flexible in your shopping spree.

If you must have pink color jacket and purple won't do. Waiting till summer will probably lead to disappointment.

On hardware, it's even trickier. Do you have more than one model of skis in your mind? If not, there goes your flexibility! You need to know if that ski is popular which will sell out at some point! Because you can't buy a different length ski just because it's the only one available and it's 80% off!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With skis good time to buy is end of season sales but you need to be flexible with your choice. With boots I wouldn't be waiting till sales as there are more sizes and models available in the beginning of the season.

Libby

Certified Ski Diva
We have found the best prices on gear in July-August. Clothing, however, doesn't seem to budge much beyond the end of season sales, until they only have xxs or xxl left, and then it goes on clearance. If you are looking for clothing, buy at end of season because it might be gone later. We hit the jackpot in Chamonix this week at the Volcom store. Of course, I always forget something on a trip and this time was my son's parka. They had a buy 3 get 50% off your entire purchase. We bought him next years parka and pants, and pants for my daughter at half price, and the kids are thrilled with their new stuff.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With skis good time to buy is end of season sales but you need to be flexible with your choice. With boots I wouldn't be waiting till sales as there are more sizes and models available in the beginning of the season.
Boots? Full retail, baby! I'll do anything to get into what fits!

abc

Banned
Boots for me is more of "when I need it" thing! (plus, "when I have time to break it in" thing)

My first boot happened when my feet were screaming to get out of the rental torture device! It also happened to be "going out of business sale" of one shop. So I grabbed the first pair that didn't hurt!

Second pair happened in the summer. I was hunting for skis and the sale person said "let me check your boots"... Ooops, the liners were all packed out... "Did you feet swim in it". Well, yes... pretty big discount because it's summer.

Third pair when the second pair disintegrated. No if and buts or when. Mid-season but they gave me a discount because I was a returned customer.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For new, current year equipment and soft goods, Columbus Day Weekend (second weekend in October) has been the best time to buy at my shop, if you know what you want (demo, demo, demo now). Everything is in stock (or they will order it and still give you the discount).

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're getting into a prime time for good sales. Depending where you live, I've gotten great deals on skis and clothing from both shops and online in March. I am an admitted jacket slut, but will buy only on sale. I just got a terrific Obermeyer jacket that I love, on Sierra Trading Post, for $116.

Great time for skis, too. I like to be able to use what I buy without having to wait until next season, so buying in March gives me some mileage time. Boots are tough though, because I'd want to be fitted from my fitter's first choice, not what's left over.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought mine at 50% off in September at a local shop during their annual massive sales of previous years' models of skis. I also bought my new ski jacket at about 50% off then.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm noticing that there are a lot of end of the season sales going on right now. When is the best time to buy gear- either clothing or skis and boots? If I wait until the summer, will the prices be even lower?
If you have any interest in used stuff (not boots), there are ski swaps in during early season. In the southeast (NC, VA) those are in Oct, Nov, Dec. Places closer to more ski areas may have a "ski show" in the fall.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Normally July is when the best deals are to be found. This year however I think the pickings that late will be slim for hard goods though. I heard from many that the ski companies did not make enough product this year and were scrambling for product even early on in the season. So if you can find what you need now and it is on sale and absolutely can't live without it, might be best to jump on it!

Christy

Angel Diva
Summer is NOT the best time here, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find ski stuff anywhere. Most of the ski shops in Seattle remove all the ski stuff and turn into bike or tennis shops in summer. Judging from the comments above I guess that's not universal, but I know they do it in Whistler and Sun Valley, too. Then they bring what little they had left over from last season out at the beginning of the next season. We have a huge event called Ski Bonkers on Labor Day weekend in a mall parking lot where the brands and retailers sell everything discounted that they have left over from last year.

If you're just looking for a coat or base layer that fits than shopping end of season sales is great. Sometimes it works with skis if you're flexible. But it is a real crapshoot if you are looking for something in particular. I want Dalbello Chakra boots in 23.5 with ID liners and I was hoping they'd go on sale, and there is not a pair to be found in the entire Puget Sound region. In fact I just looked online and found exactly one pair available, from a company I'd never heard of. My husband had the worst time finding the skis he wanted when he finally decided he wanted them in March. He ordered what seemed to be the last pair in the entire country online. Ski shops don't order tons of everything--quantities really are limited.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our summer shops become bike etc shops, too, but some have HUGE tent sales. I'm hoping to hit a big one on ossippee nh this July.

Ditto on swaps. Awesome deals on equipment, especially due kids, if you don't mind used stuff.

mustski

Angel Diva
Internet sales in summer are great deals ... again- NOT BOOTS. As for skis, I have no shame. I will wait for the deals.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
For clothing, I will hit the outlets in Wrentham, MA and Kittery, ME - mittens, pants, jackets, I am a Weeble - shaped person so I have limited options - Columbia, Lands End, LL Bean.

I am on the mailing list at my local ski shop and got a mid-winter deal on my new K2s as the size I wanted was disappearing fast everywhere and deals were not found. Last year I had to get new boots mid-season. Paid full price but got a free lift ticket to Bretton Woods as the shop owner is a college classmate of the Bretton Woods owner.

soliloquy72

Certified Ski Diva
This is what I was told-- for clothing/apparel, late spring is the best time to get deals. For new equipment with the greatest selection, late spring. If you're looking for used equipment, then late fall. The ski shops around me said that in late fall, people get out their equipment and realize they want to upgrade so they bring it in to consign or bring it to a swap, etc. In late spring, they're still thinking about it. My husband and I got great deals on new skis in the spring by buying last year's model. We got our boots 50% off by buying them in March. The ski shops around here want to clear out inventory to get ready for biking and water sports.

I got some great deals on snowboards for my kids at a ski swap in the fall. They're just starting out so all I cared about was getting the right size and a good price.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

Going shopping for ski clothes for her kids with my friend today. Sales of winter clothing in full swing around central North Carolina at REI and the local ski shops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna