• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best skies for intermediate who wants a good carver

Reneef

Diva in Training
I have a pair of Blizzard Sheeva's (104 underfoot). I want to purchase a second pair of skies, primarily for intermediate to lower advanced slopes to be used on packed powder/groomers that will hold an edge and withstand the occasional crud. I'm 62 years old with more courage than form. I'm not comfortable at speed as I learned to ski as an adult. The Black Pearl 88, Nordic Santana 88, Vokl Kenja, and Vokl Yumi have all been recommeded. Looking at the reviews leaves me confused. I plan to demo all but am looking for some sound advice from those with far more experience than me. Thank you

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely demo! You can't go wrong with that. You might get some other recommendations based on your height/weight/ability/where you ski.

I am a huge fan of Black Crows skis so I'll always recommend them. I love my Vertis Birdies (I think they are an 87 underfoot) as my packed powder/groomer/ice coast days. They hold an edge exceptionally well, they absolutely rip down the mountain, and they're just generally fun. I skied them this past weekend with some pushable powder and I was really pleased with how they performed in some fresh snow. I call them my "go-fast" skis! I opted for them because I didn't want metal in my skis. They do like to be driven, so if you're more of a leisurely, back seat skier, I wouldn't 100% recommend them, but that said I have leisurely days on them and I feel comfortable.

The BP88 is ALWAYS recommended in this forum. From what I've read, more people use this as a daily one quiver ski. I think the same could be said for the Nordica Santa Ana. A friend of mine has the Kenjas and she absolutely loves them as an ex ski racer. From my understanding, the Vokls are bit more of a stiffer ski.

Reneef

Diva in Training
Thank you

I'm 5'7", about 132 lbs, fairly solid on all intermediate runs and would like to be able to ski some easier blacks on corduroy days, having done one last spring and loved it. I was told by yet another individual that the Rossi Experience 84 was the absolute best for carving. He too said that the Kendra was a stiffer ski but encouraged me to demo.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Experience 84, or Nordica Astral 84 are better options for a ski that you will use primarily for groomer skiing. They would be a good compliment to the Sheeva 10s, which are actually 102 under foot.
Where do you ski?

Reneef

Diva in Training
Thanks very much. I thought my current Sheeva's were 102 but I checked and they say 104. I bought them as demos a few years ago having had Vokl 149 parabolics for years prior. I'll have a look at our local shops and see if the Astral can be demo'd. I ski in N. Idaho where surface and visibility can change in a matter of minutes.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just got the Black Pearl 82s, and I like them a LOT. Not that you need any more recommendations. Excellent through the crud, and they ski short and pretty easy due to the rocker. I've never skied BP 88s; everyone says you either love them or hate them! Given that they've been the best selling women's ski for a couple of years, I think most people love them.

I'm an intermediate, age 66, this is my fourth year skiing. I'm working on getting my skis up on edge, and I'm very reassured by the way these skis plow through the crud, feel great in (our limited) powder, and are easy to put on edge.

Oh! and

:race: :welcome: :race:

Reneef

Diva in Training
Love the emoji's, thank you. I welcome all recommendations. Our local shops have BP 78's I think. Perhaps I should give those a try as well. The fact that yours are easy to put on edge encourages me to try them. Do you know why some hate the 88's?

newboots

Angel Diva
Love the emoji's, thank you. I welcome all recommendations. Our local shops have BP 78's I think. Perhaps I should give those a try as well. The fact that yours are easy to put on edge encourages me to try them. Do you know why some hate the 88's?

No, I don't. But some people here just weren't feeling it when they demo'd them. I expect someone will chime in. The 82s are (I think) new this year; could be last year.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and Welcome!
I ski the east and visit the west. I just fell in love with Liberty V76W's they are a fun ski with a lot of forgiveness, tons of edge hold and love to turn. They are very compliant they do what ever I ask of them. I demo'd them last may/june in mammoth on Frozen Corduroy in the morning then big piles of soft corn snow, they were a blast. They have no tip shake either. They are now my daily driver here in the East. I have Renoun Z-90's I take west.

Since you like your Sheeva's (they are a fun ski) see if the shop has any of the Blizzard Alight series they are 74 or 82 under foot (I think) very nice ski, good edge hold, forgiving and fun. It may be hard to find under 80 out west (seemed to me when I browse shops on vaca every ski is fat)

Have fun demoing and here's to lots of quiet soft turns!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you at Schweitzer? a Sheeva 10 would be fun there for sure, and you get ample snow so a mid-80s more frontside oriented ski for those sneaky days where there might be fresh snow is not a bad idea at all. I always forget about the BP 82--very fun ski. The Liberty's in the low 80s widths are also very nice skis--good in mixed conditions and really easy to turn.

There are so many good skis out there, it can be really difficult to decide!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna