• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Ski Cars?

Christy

Angel Diva
lol!! I wonder if it was adapted for COVID-era. Car and Driver estimates that the price for the AWD model will be about $50k, sportback variant $55k. https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/q4-e-tron

btw, to your point above, it looks like VW is doing the reservation system for the ID.4. wonder if audi will do that for the Q4... seems so much more efficient.

Oh, I can only hope. I know they are simliar cars made in the same factory (I think) but the Q4 is supposed to be better and nicer. Yeah I've seen the price in magazines too--it is kind of weird that wouldn't come up in the promo. It's a good price for an upmarket electric car. (Also colors--I'm dying to know colors. Please please let the Antigua Blue be a choice).

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Oh, I can only hope. I know they are simliar cars made in the same factory (I think) but the Q4 is supposed to be better and nicer. Yeah I've seen the price in magazines too--it is kind of weird that wouldn't come up in the promo. It's a good price for an upmarket electric car. (Also colors--I'm dying to know colors. Please please let the Antigua Blue be a choice).
I will also take a candy apple red. I've always wanted a red car!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don’t love my current car (VW Tiguan)
So I have a beautiful navy blue Tiguan SEL 4 Motion AWD with 26,000 miles. Took it to Tahoe for the first time and long story short it has major Turbo problems and will need to replace for $2500. I already spent $450 with diagnosis and new turbo diverter valve (which did not fix the problem.) It's not under warranty any longer. Also tire pressure light malfunctioning.....
Should I get rid of it ?????? Have you had problems with yours?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@diymom, I think I missed your post, b/c that is very similar to the color in which I want the Pilot!!

I’m going to miss my minivan doors when I lose them, huh?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
So I have a beautiful navy blue Tiguan SEL 4 Motion AWD with 26,000 miles. Took it to Tahoe for the first time and long story short it has major Turbo problems and will need to replace for $2500. I already spent $450 with diagnosis and new turbo diverter valve (which did not fix the problem.) It's not under warranty any longer. Also tire pressure light malfunctioning.....

Ugh, that stinks! No expensive repairs for me, but I’ve soured on the dealer. The headlights are set too low and I just don’t have the time or patience to go back AGAIN to be talked down to again. You might consider getting rid of it. I understand that the factory where Tiguans are built is really hit or miss for quality control. Sounds like yours might have been a miss.

... btw, there is another EV that might be considered as a ski car, though it seems the US version would be improved by a bigger battery: the Mercedes Benz EQB. Coming stateside in 2022. More here: https://www.autoweek.com/news/green...uts-in-shanghai-but-well-have-to-wait-for-it/

Jilly

Staff member
26,000 miles and it's no longer under warranty?? What was the number?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ugh, that stinks! No expensive repairs for me, but I’ve soured on the dealer. The headlights are set too low and I just don’t have the time or patience to go back AGAIN to be talked down to again. You might consider getting rid of it. I understand that the factory where Tiguans are built is really hit or miss for quality control. Sounds like yours might have been a miss.

... btw, there is another EV that might be considered as a ski car, though it seems the US version would be improved by a bigger battery: the Mercedes Benz EQB. Coming stateside in 2022. More here: https://www.autoweek.com/news/green...uts-in-shanghai-but-well-have-to-wait-for-it/
Oh that is nice! I do like German cars and have had several VW’s including a very cute new beetle convertible that did not have mechanical issues but other weird things. Window power regulators, convertible top fading, paint fading....

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
It’s a 2015. I walk or ride my bike everywhere and don’t drive that much.
Ooh you have one of the “older” models with the stiffer suspension, before they made it big and squishy and American-friendly. (I swear I’m not *that* much of a car nerd, my BFF drove the Tiguan too.) I dunno... it might be worth looking into other alternatives, especially electric (fewer parts to rust?), but would you have enough range to get to Tahoe from Santa Cruz?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live a block from the ocean which doesn’t help cars at all.

My current Honda CRV had been living in Newport Rhode Island with its original owner when I got it from the BMW dealership. It had been their ‘utility’ car, well they use their Beemers for everything else. We had a few sand and salt issues to sort out the first year I had it! But it’s been amazing otherwise!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ooh you have one of the “older” models with the stiffer suspension, before they made it big and squishy and American-friendly. (I swear I’m not *that* much of a car nerd, my BFF drove the Tiguan too.) I dunno... it might be worth looking into other alternatives, especially electric (fewer parts to rust?), but would you have enough range to get to Tahoe from Santa Cruz?
Think 250 miles each way so don’t know.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My current Honda CRV had been living in Newport Rhode Island with its original owner when I got it from the BMW dealership. It had been their ‘utility’ car, well they use their Beemers for everything else. We had a few sand and salt issues to sort out the first year I had it! But it’s been amazing otherwise!
I had a Honda passport 4 wd for 15 years. Zero problems.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I want a smaller car and thinking maybe an AWD wagon. Really like the VW all track (what another VW?) and the Audi Allroad. Also like the smaller Subaru Impreza hatchback...... haven't thought about an EV vehicle but that will definitely be the trend in the coming years. Honestly I drive (in a normal year-non pandemic) about 3-4 k miles per year...

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier - I would first figure out the value of your car - either KBB or you can even go to Car Max website and type in your license and it will give you an offer. Then look around and see what you can get for the $. See if there is anything better that the bird you have in your hand. At least you know what it will take to fix, and you know the vehicle. I would also check to see if there was ever any recall issues on that part/ year car. Sometimes even if the car is out of warranty for good will the manufacture will split the cost of repair. I would call VW customer relations and start a claim.

The tire pressure monitor could just be an altitude issue, DH's truck has that every time we go up.

As I understand the used car market is pretty tight and rental cars are hard to come by. Also, I am not that keen on buying something made during the last year.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks @WaterGirl . I've done most that you mentioned, checked KBB for value , checked warranty, recall issues, even a VW forum that had many owners with similar expensive turbo issues with under 70k miles. I am planning on calling VW of America on Monday and starting a claim.
Only thing I haven't done is go to CarMax website and put in vehicle info. I have a solid idea though of what the car's value is. Before failing turbo.
Also tire pressure warning light goes on and off and that was troubleshooted but apparently not fixed as light came on as I was leaving auto repair shop. It's a great shop specializing in VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes so not going to shop around for more opinions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly