• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Best Ski Bag for air travel?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes color would take a beating but easy to find on the carousel with all the black bags

lisamamot

Angel Diva
We have two double Sportube series 2 cases and we love them. I am going on a trip where car space will be at a premium so I just got a Douchebag Slim Jim.

Since I have only traveled with the Sportube I am used to putting my skis together the way they recommend - bindings retracted, face-to-face and tip-to-tail with towels wrapped and taped with painters tape around the bindings. For those that have a soft ski bag how do you generally load your skis? The video from Douchebag on how to load the Slim Jim is completely useless since they just slide in a pair of loose unmounted skis, lol.

I can use the Sportube bands and straps and just load as usual since my skis fit that way in the Slim Jim - curious what others do though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The video from Douchebag on how to load the Slim Jim is completely useless since they just slide in a pair of loose unmounted skis, lol.

I can use the Sportube bands and straps and just load as usual since my skis fit that way in the Slim Jim - curious what others do though.
I also have both the Sportube 2 and a Slim Jim. I don't bother with the special packing method needed for the Sportube when I take the Slim Jim. I used non-rolling ski bags before. I just make sure my skis will stay together with the usual way for unpacked carrying. I do wrap with bindings to protect them, usually with an old towel that's tied with string. I put in a few soft items around the skis that are in bags of some sort so that they aren't cut by the ski edges. But I limit the other stuff so that the Slim Jim doesn't obviously look overstuffed with more than padded skis in it.

My rolling boot bag looks like a suitcase. Here's what a minimal packing was for a flight to Boston that was only going to include a few days of skiing. Notice that TSA opened the ski bag.

Ski travel min - 1.jpgSki travel min - 2.jpgSki travel min - 3.jpg

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I don't bother with the special packing method needed for the Sportube when I take the Slim Jim. I used non-rolling ski bags before. I just make sure my skis will stay together with the usual way for unpacked carrying. I do wrap with bindings to protect them, usually with an old towel that's tied with string. I put in a few soft items around the skis that are in bags of some sort so that they aren't cut by the ski edges

Thanks! I was thinking I would still retract the brakes with the bands from my Sportube and then use my Fast Straps to keep the skis together and wrap bindings as I usually do. I had planned to take a couple sturdy ditty bags and put ski related things in those (hats, neck warmers, extra mitts, etc.) to create some padding. Sounds like a plan :thumb:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I only wish I took pack like @marzNC ......just back from Europe trip and when checking in the British Airways staff said, "Oh my, you Americans travel with so much luggage " (referring to my HUGE bag).....

marzNC

Angel Diva
I only wish I took pack like @marzNC ......just back from Europe trip and when checking in the British Airways staff said, "Oh my, you Americans travel with so much luggage " (referring to my HUGE bag).....
Well, for trips out west I do add a small suitcase. Having two free checked bags on Southwest is really nice.

Picture has my old Transpack Sidekick. The red one replaced it a few years ago because it has better zippers and incorporated covers for the boots. The bungie cord makes it possible for me to roll the suitcases and the Sportube at the same time.

Transpack two 2014 - 2.jpg

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier - you and me both. I am trying sooooo hard to minimize for my upcoming trip. I am a recovering “if it fits it ships” packer, so the struggle is real, lol. It is pretty safe to say my luggage bag will the next size up from what appears to be @marzNC ’s carry-on size.

I love Diva East cause I can bring anything I can shove into the car

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
There are times when being a petite traveler has it's advantages. :smile:
Not for me...... I really tried to pare down but somehow it didn't work. I was borderline over the 23 kg (50 lbs) but they let me through. My boots were in a very old patagonia bag with a backpack - also stuck make up and toiletries so very heavy. It's ridiculous .... Why can't I pack like @marzNC ? I did spend 6 days in London so needed stuff for that. Also, my boot bag went on a train in Zurich without me (my fault - I laid it on the train and went to grab other bag and the train door closed and away it went. I was without boots and toiletries and make up for 6 days...... Rented boots and bought mascara....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not for me...... I really tried to pare down but somehow it didn't work. . . .
But just imagine what it would be like to pack like my friend who is over 6 feet and wears size 13 shoes. He also doesn't fit very well in airplane seats. :wink:

My mother could pack one medium size suitcase and a bag per person for traveling around Europe all summer when I was growing up. For family trips we traveled pretty light no matter how long the trip lasted. Not the backpacking style of travelers, but sometimes stayed in apartments that required climbing up several flights of stairs.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
There are times when being a petite traveler has it's advantages. :smile:
Yeah, I'm going to go with that, it's the size of my clothes because I'm tall....has nothing to do with clothing indecisiveness or what seems to be an insufferable amount of toiletries...or the food I invariably pack!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna