• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Resorts for Glades and Pow

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I'd never ask you give up your secret stash, I have been charged with making a couple of lists this winter (from my editor at Liftopia).

Just for fun, we're polling skiers and snowboarders to find out their favorite North American resorts for tree skiing and powder skiing. The list won't be comprehensive or scientific. Like I said, it's just for fun and to get the conversation started.

If you've got an opinion, please weigh in!

And here are my answers.

Tree skiing: X Files and Ontario Bowl at Deer Valley
Powder skiing: While the answer should be "where ever the snow if falling and deep" I have to say some of my best powder days have come at Powderhorn Mountain Resort in Western Colorado. No crowds, deep snow...and this season, a new lift! :smile:

Thanks so much!

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
While I'd never ask you give up your secret stash,
At least you know :redface:
Seriously, my favorite place for pow is a small resort and could use a little bit more business to make sure it stays open. Eagle Point is located in Beaver, UT which is in southern UT, about 3.5 hours from Las Vegas and around 2.5 hours from SLC. Tops out at 10,600 ft. elevation and gets nice dry powder. It's supposed to be in the sweet zone for the upcoming El Niño FWIW.

The best part is that they are only open Friday thru Sunday in non-holiday weeks so when there are a string of storms that come through Monday- Thursday it can get nice and deep by Fridays first chair. Last year they operated Thurs.- Sunday so I take the new Friday-Sunday schedule as a sign that they need more visitors. There really are so few visitors that there's untracked powder to be found all the way through Sunday. You're welcome :cool:

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At least you know :redface:
Seriously, my favorite place for pow is a small resort and could use a little bit more business to make sure it stays open. Eagle Point is located in Beaver, UT which is in southern UT, about 3.5 hours from Las Vegas and around 2.5 hours from SLC. Tops out at 10,600 ft. elevation and gets nice dry powder. It's supposed to be in the sweet zone for the upcoming El Niño FWIW.

The best part is that they are only open Friday thru Sunday in non-holiday weeks so when there are a string of storms that come through Monday- Thursday it can get nice and deep by Fridays first chair. Last year they operated Thurs.- Sunday so I take the new Friday-Sunday schedule as a sign that they need more visitors. There really are so few visitors that there's untracked powder to be found all the way through Sunday. You're welcome :cool:

Love this. Thank you. Its always fantastic to feature less known resorts. And you are so right about the El Nino forecasting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tree skiing: Big Sky because there are easy glades or tight trees in a variety of areas
Powder: Alta, Grand Targhee

The glades on Andesite at Big Sky was the first place I really enjoyed tree skiing. Lots of other places with trees to explore for those who are comfortable with steeper or tighter trees.

Haven't really skied GT in powder much at all. The first time I was at GT, there was plenty of powder but it was my first day out west and we were driving to Big Sky after skiing, so really didn't ski ungroomed much. But that is one of the places I really want to go again for powder skiing. One the good features is that there is no need to think about which lift to take. With only three to choose from, it makes it pretty simple. Can stay on the high speed summit quad all day since there is no line to worry about.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tree skiing: Big Sky because there are easy glades or tight trees in a variety of areas
Powder: Alta, Grand Targhee

The glades on Andesite at Big Sky was the first place I really enjoyed tree skiing. Lots of other places with trees to explore for those who are comfortable with steeper or tighter trees.

Haven't really skied GT in powder much at all. The first time I was at GT, there was plenty of powder but it was my first day out west and we were driving to Big Sky after skiing, so really didn't ski ungroomed much. But that is one of the places I really want to go again for powder skiing. One the good features is that there is no need to think about which lift to take. With only three to choose from, it makes it pretty simple. Can stay on the high speed summit quad all day since there is no line to worry about.
Thank you so much! this is fantastic. I totally agree with you re: Big Sky. Gotta get myself to GT someday soon. Possibly this winter, although I'm holding out to see if the snow stays SW!

Cheers!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't think the new glades at Snowshoe are going to make a "top" list any time soon, but they will be unusual for the southeast. The area being cleared is in between Cupp and Shays in the Western Territories. Combined with the new snowmaking over there, could make for fun times for advanced skiers by Christmas.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think the new glades at Snowshoe are going to make a "top" list any time soon, but they will be unusual for the southeast. The area being cleared is in between Cupp and Shays in the Western Territories. Combined with the new snowmaking over there, could make for fun times for advanced skiers by Christmas.

Oh that's great info! thank you!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've skied Red and yep, hard to beat for powder and glades. For one, it's not a mainsteam resort so you don't get lines and lines of yahoos with snorkels on stamping thier feet in the line. But really, the tree skiing and glades are steep or not, as you choose. The views are fantastic. They have it all, both steep and tight, and not so steep and more open. Beer Belly, Paradise, Captain Jack's...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied Monument Glade at Northstar. Great for deep pow beginners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna