• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best chance of good snow in mid December?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
This is great information. Unfortunately, both Killington and Sunday River are blacked out on the Ikon pass. My niece just ordered some, so of course she wants to use them. If Sugarbush doesn't black out the dates between Christmas and New Year's, we'll definitely be going there. If they do, we're off to Tremblant. Fingers crossed for Sugarbush!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
This is great information. Unfortunately, both Killington and Sunday River are blacked out on the Ikon pass. My niece just ordered some, so of course she wants to use them. If Sugarbush doesn't black out the dates between Christmas and New Year's, we'll definitely be going there. If they do, we're off to Tremblant. Fingers crossed for Sugarbush!

Yeah!!! Sugarbush on Christmas Day is just heavenly. The lift lines rarely get long during holiday periods too. Hope you have an amazing visit!!

alison wong

Angel Diva
@alison wong, if you are considering Sun Valley for mid-December... They do a lot of fun stuff right before Christmas like the tree lighting, and the decorations are really nice especially at the lodge, but you will definitely be skiing on man-made snow and groomers. If you are hoping for any off piste, it's just way too early for that in Sun Valley.

Thanks @Christy . I picked Sun Valley as a contender for early season trip because of their extensive snowmaking. I'd figure it would be a more reliable bet? (given the fact that temperature cooperates for snow making).

I am using google flight tracker to track airfares. For now, from Washington D.C. to Sun Valley, the air fare is close to $1000, the most expensive compare to flights to SLC / Calgary / Denver / JH / Idaho Falls. If I do end up making an early season trip, I think I will base off SLC and then drive.

I am contemplating an early season trip because I felt it'd be easier for me to take time off from work without colleagues complaining "you are taking time off again?!" It is close to x'mas so everyone is ready for the holidays, with me being "gone" for a week right before x'mas, it'd be less obvious. Also, it is the end of fall semester for my school, therefore it does not interfere with my study.

So that's my reasoning and thought process for an early season west coast trip.

I am not ruling out any local trips. Actually, I like taking local trips, it gives flexibility of making last minute decision.

Christy

Angel Diva
It sounds like you have very realistic expectations so I think you can indeed have a great time there. For a number of years we went for a long weekend, Wednesday or Thursday through Sunday, the weekend before Christmas. We always had a great time, and they do the tree lighting the Saturday before Christmas. Tons of people arrive for the holiday that Saturday, but until then lodging rates are pretty reasonable. I don't know what your usual hotel preferences are, but if you can swing it I cannot recommend the Sun Valley Lodge highly enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna