• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Beaver Creek, CO Jan 16-18

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You are totally right. I was just thinking that, while sitting in the hot tub chatting w other middle-aged folks ! Middle aged, and ppl w young kids seems like the demographic here. Fine by me!

I remember grad school Spring break in the mid 1990s, partying until the wee hours w my friend in a packed Breckenridge bar of 20-somethings.
Now, I'm having a cup of green tea after hot tub & steam, and chatting with a few other ppl. I think for where I am right now, this is a comfortable place for me to both ski & hang out.
Where are you staying?

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was supposed to be in Tahoe this weekend but when that trip was cancelled, I pivoted to return to Beaver Creek, which I enjoyed last year. I was able to book the same lodging as last year via Hotwire.
I live 15-20 minutes from O'hare and was able to book a nonstop flight for Sunday morning ORD--> EGE (Vail) for a handful of airline miles. The flight arrived on time at 11am MST, my EPIC Mountain Express van was waiting for me outside bag claim.

I was able to check in to my hotel (Pines Lodge) early, and was on the snow a little after 1PM MST!

I headed right to the new McCoy Park ski area. Last year I snowshoed in this area. You can still snowshoe or Nordic ski there but this bowl has been transformed, with 2 new lifts (McCoy Park Express and Reunion) and a number of wide-open green and blue runs with structural variety such as "beginner" glades, undulating hills, etc. Based on my own experience and in talking to other enthusiastic users on the McCoy Express lift, this area is fantastic for 1) skiing with young children 2) novices looking to gain confidence/practice 3) folks like myself coming off sports injury 4) and, what one dad told me, "This is a fun place to PLAY!"
From McCoy Park, it was easy enough to make my way to the trails leading to the skiway back to my resort.

I skied this area again today, then headed over toward Bachelor Gulch for a beverage and bathroom break. Then more fun back in McCoy Park, trying out a gladed run without busting my bucket! Instead of following the trails to the skiway back at day's end, instead I took the looooooong way around on BC Express-->Larkspur-->and over past Grouse Mountain, the Birds of Prey chair area, etc. Continued over to BC Village, and tried my best to skate back to the skiway but had to hike from the Nordic ski center office uphill and then poling/skating to the hotel. After all that effort (and a personal best in recent years for hours on the snow) I was thrilled to discover that NO ONE was in the hot tub pool area when I returned. I stored my skis and boots, hustled to my room, shimmied into my swimsuit and had the whole pool area to myself. Ahhhhhh!!!

Because I'm a solo traveler AND not keen to dine-in bc of Covid, I brought homemade foods that I froze in plastic vacuum-sealed bags. I have a little "mess kit" I bring everywhere w utensils, folding bowl, etc. I enjoy eating a delicious, hot, and healthful meal in my room (my room here has fridge and microwave) while relaxing in my jammies and watching a movie!

Tomorrow, I may try out Centennial Chair to the Red Buffalo area, but if it's crowded, I'll gladly take Strawberry Park over to McCoy Park, Bachelor Gulch, and Arrowhead areas for the day.

Although no recent snow here, conditions have been terrific bc they are meticulous w grooming. Temps by mid-morning have been in the high 20s to mid-30s.

Here's a snippet of what I was doing after getting off the plane and changing into my gear.

Because I'm a solo traveler AND not keen to dine-in bc of Covid, I brought homemade foods that I froze in plastic vacuum-sealed bags. I have a little "mess kit" I bring everywhere w utensils, folding bowl, etc. I enjoy eating a delicious, hot, and healthful meal in my room

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love this, making the most of your time! When my children were young and we travelled from Atlanta to Utah for ski trips we would make, freeze, and pack lots of meatballs/tomato sauce for an easy first night dinner (usually with leftovers), freeing up precious time for rental fittings, etc.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is awesome @Amie H ! I was just going to post looking for the usual conditions information at Beaver Creek in mid January. Your report with videos is perfect, so thanks for writing this up last season! :smile: I may have a reason to be there for a couple of midweek days around this time in January, so I was curious. If I go, I will be planning to stay somewhere I don't need to drive to lifts and I would also be going to an event at Vilar Performing Arts Center one of the evenings. So hoping I can figure out convenient lodging to make it all walkable, or at least shuttle-able if that exists there.. and not ridiculously expensive. Though being a Vail area I imagine the ridiculously expensive part will hold true in the end lol. How is it flying into EGE? Is that an airport that can be tricky like Aspen is? I was thinking to come in one day early, but wondering if I should actually add another for buffer given how airlines in general have been struggling with flights. I still keep hearing so many people being delayed with travel right now. I guess I could also do Denver and drive in, but I'd rather not add a car as well if I don't need to deal with that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I flew into Eagle on one trip to Vail.. so much easier than Denver.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@MissySki I like The Pines lodge. They have a free shuttle around the ski village area, not sure if that includes the performing arts venue, may wish to call. The rooms I've stayed in have a fridge and microwave can be available BY REQUEST. So, I bring microwavable meals and or sandwiches, salads, etc. You can get Instacart delivery from Safeway there, so that helps! I love the amenities: pool, hot tub, workout room, steam room, afternoon cookies. Also 1 W&D that is free to use but shared by all. Also can get breakfast or dinner take-out from restaurant on site (but $$$.)
My trip this year, I actually booked through Hotwire instead of through VR directly bc even w my Epic Pass discount, it was cheaper that way.
I had no problems flying into EGE either time, but I wasn't traveling during storms. I took Epic shuttle from EGE to hotel & it was perfect both times. So easy! Note: you are limited to 2 pieces of luggage & a personal item on the Epic shuttle - for me that is skis, large rolling duffle w all my clothes/gear/food, and small laptop backpack.
Another option is fly to DEN and book EPIC shuttle to BC. More of a slog a d I wonder if you would have delay if I-70 closed due to weather?
I like not needing a rental car bc w the CO chain laws, I'd hate to get stuck/have to turn around in a rental. (Cannot put chains on a rental.)
I think there is a hotel called Boarders Lodge near The Pines Lodge that might have smaller units in the $200/night range. I do not know if they have a shuttle.
There is a BC shuttle system that goes around the "town" area, but I have not used so I can't comment on it.
As my prior TRs may have noted, Pines is ski in, semi-ski out(have to hike a tiny bit, imo nbd.)
I hope you get to go. I'm also planning to book early to mid Jan probably Sun-Wed again if I can. Once you know your dates, lmk and if I'm there, I can give you a tour.:smile:

Amie H

Angel Diva
I should add, because it's smaller (but very nice) EGE airport is a breeze when dealing w checking bags, security, etc. A very pleasant experience.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I should add, because it's smaller (but very nice) EGE airport is a breeze when dealing w checking bags, security, etc. A very pleasant experience.
Totally agree. I've been to Vail probably 4 times and the one time flying into Eagle was SO EASY.....

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I like The Pines lodge. They have a free shuttle around the ski village area, not sure if that includes the performing arts venue, may wish to call. The rooms I've stayed in have a fridge and microwave can be available BY REQUEST. So, I bring microwavable meals and or sandwiches, salads, etc. You can get Instacart delivery from Safeway there, so that helps! I love the amenities: pool, hot tub, workout room, steam room, afternoon cookies. Also 1 W&D that is free to use but shared by all. Also can get breakfast or dinner take-out from restaurant on site (but $$$.)
My trip this year, I actually booked through Hotwire instead of through VR directly bc even w my Epic Pass discount, it was cheaper that way.
I had no problems flying into EGE either time, but I wasn't traveling during storms. I took Epic shuttle from EGE to hotel & it was perfect both times. So easy! Note: you are limited to 2 pieces of luggage & a personal item on the Epic shuttle - for me that is skis, large rolling duffle w all my clothes/gear/food, and small laptop backpack.
Another option is fly to DEN and book EPIC shuttle to BC. More of a slog a d I wonder if you would have delay if I-70 closed due to weather?
I like not needing a rental car bc w the CO chain laws, I'd hate to get stuck/have to turn around in a rental. (Cannot put chains on a rental.)
I think there is a hotel called Boarders Lodge near The Pines Lodge that might have smaller units in the $200/night range. I do not know if they have a shuttle.
There is a BC shuttle system that goes around the "town" area, but I have not used so I can't comment on it.
As my prior TRs may have noted, Pines is ski in, semi-ski out(have to hike a tiny bit, imo nbd.)
I hope you get to go. I'm also planning to book early to mid Jan probably Sun-Wed again if I can. Once you know your dates, lmk and if I'm there, I can give you a tour.:smile:

Thanks for all of this information!!

When looking at lodging online quickly, it did seem that the Pines Lodge is a great option for location and pricing compared to others. Do they not include a breakfast at all? I noticed you mentioned getting breakfast takeout from the onsite restaurant.

If I go, it would be flying in on Sunday Jan 8 or Monday Jan 9 and staying until that Thursday I think. The reason I'd be going then is that Tuesday and Wednesday is the event I would like to attend there. This is probably going to sound random haha.. but my favorite band (Old Dominion) is participating in the Rocky Mountain Ski Fest this year and that's when/where it is. I've seen them a bunch of times live (including this past weekend at a Countryfest I went to, but this is different. There is a VIP experience package where you attend a meet and greet banquet and concert on the Tuesday at the Vilar and then you get to ski/board with the musicians on Wednesday at Beaver Creek. The package is pricey.. but it is for charity (pediatric cancer foundation) and on the Wednesday it does include breakfast, lunch, lift ticket (if needed), and ski rental (if needed, but I'd likely just bring my own..). And then obviously you get the banquet, meet and greet and concert VIP seat for the concert on the Tuesday. So we are trying to decide still, but I mean.. WHEN ELSE will I EVER get to hang around with my favorite band on a ski mountain and actually ski with them???? lol It's so random that they would be doing a ski thing.. and it makes me feel like I'll totally regret it if I miss the opportunity. My significant other would be coming too and he doesn't even ski lol. But he'd want to do the banquet and VIP concert piece and they are not selling that part separately (you can get concert tickets only and not in the same seating area) so we'd have to buy a second full package. I told him it'd be the perfect opportunity to take a ski lesson on the Wednesday! He told me I'm definitely good at scheming for what I want. :rotf:

I'm unsure still how much I would actually have time to ski outside of the designated day there. I guess it'll depend if I go the extra day early or not. Which would also mean I'd need to probably get a couple of days on an Epic pass if I were planning to do more. I have an Ikon.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
How is it flying into EGE? Is that an airport that can be tricky like Aspen is?

My experience over 5 Feb trips Boston to Snowmass: Boston to Eagle (ideally via warm weather city like Dallas or Phoenix rather than Chicago, if such flights work for you) is more predictable/reliable than flying into Aspen, or flying into Denver and driving. Eagle is less prone to weather issues than Aspen. But with winter weather and 2022 airline issues, it might be worth it to build in an extra day. What would you do with that extra day if all the travel works smoothly . . . ski of course!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
How is it flying into EGE? Is that an airport that can be tricky like Aspen is?

My experience over 5 Feb trips Boston to Snowmass: Boston to Eagle (ideally via warm weather city like Dallas or Phoenix rather than Chicago, if such flights work for you) is more predictable/reliable than flying into Aspen, or flying into Denver and driving. Eagle is less prone to weather issues than Aspen. But with winter weather and 2022 airline issues, it might be worth it to build in an extra day. What would you do with that extra day if all the travel works smoothly . . . ski of course!!!

Great to hear that should be easiest to fly into Vail than the others! I hate flying through Chicago, so would definitely avoid if at all possible. I’ve especially had the worst luck connecting through Chicago Midway.. have had my skis left behind there multiple times on layovers!

The idea of the extra travel day cushion is definitely growing on me.would be great to have more ski time while out there.

Amie H

Angel Diva
If traveling w a non-skiing person, maybe Pines wouldn't be your best option (although it is one of the more price-friendly.) Perhaps you guys would rather be closer to the actual village? Do you know where the breakfast event is being held? That said, they do have a shuttle so...

A non-skier can walk from Pines Lodge to the Nordic/Snowshoe center and rent equipment there to do those activities, in the village they have ice skating and shops etc. For a non-skier, Pines has a nice gym, pool/hot tub, and steam in the workout room locker rooms. There is no breakfast but coffee/tea service is provided each morning. The onsite restaurant has takeout available for breakfast. I only did that once bc I was craving eggs. Otherwise, I make oatmeal or have a protein bar with my coffee.

I fly direct to EGE from Chicago O'Hare (never Midway) and have not had an issue thus far. (knock wood.)

That event sounds really fun! I've traveled many times to see bands but never to SKI with a band! Sounds rad - you should do it!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I just booked the event I mentioned today!!! I am so darn excited!!! Figured why not, it's going to a great cause (pediatric cancer foundation) and certainly seems like probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to ski with my favorite band. I would never think of that as a possibility period. I also got a big promotion and raise last month, so what good is that if you don't splurge every once in awhile on something a bit out there, right? :smile:

I'll be working on the accommodations and travel arrangements soon (I put in an ask to the event organizers to check if they have any room blocks or group rates for the event, I don't think so but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.) I think I'll also be grabbing a 2 day Epic pass to add on ski days for if my travel goes according to plan, before prices go up next week. I assume it's worth doing that, but does anyone know how much a day pass at Beaver Creek usually runs? Would I want to go to Vail for one of the days since it's close by and I've never been? I'm still thinking I will try to fly in on the Sunday since the event is Tuesday and Wednesday. I'd think I could even ski some of Tuesday depending what time stuff starts that day, I assume it'll be later on for the mix and mingle with the band and the concert. If I get some more cross country practice ahead of then perhaps that would be fun one of the days. Hard to substitute for downhill though.

If anyone will be around the week of January 9th, 2023.. let me know as I'd love to meet up! I'll also start a thread in the meetup section in case it's missed here.

And if any divas are big fans of the country band Old Dominion and want more details on this event let me know!!! I can send more info that's in print and also some email exchanges I had with the organizers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ohh edited to add: there ARE group hotel rates available.. just got emailed with it. One includes the Pines and that is where the ski kickoff event will be in the morning on the Wednesday! Sounding like a better and better option. I'm not sure what the discount % is, but will be inquiring soon.

Amie H

Angel Diva
So I just booked the event I mentioned today!!! I am so darn excited!!! Figured why not, it's going to a great cause (pediatric cancer foundation) and certainly seems like probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to ski with my favorite band. I would never think of that as a possibility period. I also got a big promotion and raise last month, so what good is that if you don't splurge every once in awhile on something a bit out there, right? :smile:

I'll be working on the accommodations and travel arrangements soon (I put in an ask to the event organizers to check if they have any room blocks or group rates for the event, I don't think so but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.) I think I'll also be grabbing a 2 day Epic pass to add on ski days for if my travel goes according to plan, before prices go up next week. I assume it's worth doing that, but does anyone know how much a day pass at Beaver Creek usually runs? Would I want to go to Vail for one of the days since it's close by and I've never been? I'm still thinking I will try to fly in on the Sunday since the event is Tuesday and Wednesday. I'd think I could even ski some of Tuesday depending what time stuff starts that day, I assume it'll be later on for the mix and mingle with the band and the concert. If I get some more cross country practice ahead of then perhaps that would be fun one of the days. Hard to substitute for downhill though.

If anyone will be around the week of January 9th, 2023.. let me know as I'd love to meet up! I'll also start a thread in the meetup section in case it's missed here.

And if any divas are big fans of the country band Old Dominion and want more details on this event let me know!!! I can send more info that's in print and also some email exchanges I had with the organizers.
Sounds great! Good idea to check on the room block possibility. If it's not too late to get, a multi-day Epic pass (2-3) with the BC upgrade *might* work out cheaper than a specific BC day ticket.
There is a bus from BC to Vail - you take town shuttle to the bus stop, then its a few bucks. I've never done bc BC is more than expansive enough to keep me on new/fun terrain for a few days, but it's up to you. One of these years, I def will head over there for a day trip.
I'm stoked for you!!!!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Omg, It's AT The Pines!?! Wow very cool, you will enjoy. It's a small lodge but the boot room is bougie, lol.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sounds great! Good idea to check on the room block possibility. If it's not too late to get, a multi-day Epic pass (2-3) with the BC upgrade *might* work out cheaper than a specific BC day ticket.
There is a bus from BC to Vail - you take town shuttle to the bus stop, then its a few bucks. I've never done bc BC is more than expansive enough to keep me on new/fun terrain for a few days, but it's up to you. One of these years, I def will head over there for a day trip.
I'm stoked for you!!!!

I am probably overly motivated at my keyboard talking about going to Vail too lol. Once there I know myself and that I'd rather just ski right on out the door than having to take shuttles and buses without a car. Thanks for that reality check. I'm sure there's plenty of terrain at BC for that amount of time for me to explore too.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I am probably overly motivated at my keyboard talking about going to Vail too lol. Once there I know myself and that I'd rather just ski right on out the door than having to take shuttles and buses without a car. Thanks for that reality check. I'm sure there's plenty of terrain at BC for that amount of time for me to explore too.
Did you ever see my vids on "ski back to hotel"? It's a fun, LONG switchback trail from Bachelor Gulch/Strawberry Park areas right to the Pines ski storage area. I never left bc tbh I love that run so much at the end of the day.

And part 2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna